cleaning calories

Options
hiya all im a house wife i dont really track my cleaning cals on mfp im not sure if to or not as i dont really feel like im burning them lol dose any one eles put cleaning into there mfp.. ?

Replies

• Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Set your activity level to "Lightly active" and don't log your cleaning calories. The amount of calories you burn while doing many household chores (such as washing dishes, doing laundry, etc) isn't that much.
  • squinz
    squinz Posts: 136
    Options
    Second what the last poster said.

I don't personally put all my regular activities on here, I prob only sit down for about 5hrs a day. The rest of the time, I'm bustling about at home or work. .
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Might depend on how much and how physical the cleaning is. I logged 8 hours of what mfp called heavy cleaning
    and said I burned 2811 calories. This was sweeping, dust mopping and we're mopping a 5,000 sq ft dining room and
    then setting 24 tables.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Set your activity level to "Lightly active" and don't log your cleaning calories. The amount of calories you burn while doing many household chores (such as washing dishes, doing laundry, etc) isn't that much.
    Thats actually wrong, I used my hrm quite a few times when doing my house work and sometimes ive burned as much as 400 cals
  • Mcstephen
    Options
    If you 're using a fit-bit that would take into account all energy you use - so I'd log them. I think you would be surprised just how many calories you can burn in a day doing cleaning.
  • NoWorries94
    NoWorries94 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I log mine depending on the house cleaning I do. If it's something I'm constantly moving with like vacuuming than I log that time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I just set my activity to light active...I don't even clean that much...I spend maybe 3 hours per day cleaning, cooking, and otherwise moving about (except for my exercise). I personally think way too many people use sedentary...just include it in your activity level settings and be done with it.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I log them if I spend several hours above and beyond daily housework. And even then I only log for half as long as I actually work because I dont want to think I burned more then I maybe did.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Since you're a housewife and are cleaning and not sedentary, set your activity level to reflect that and do not log cleaning. Log only supplemental exercise that you do.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I log everything I do as a housewife. EVERYTHING.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If you were a housewife while you gained the weight and you're doing everything now that you were doing then, why would you want to log it as an exercise now?

I'll echo what others have said and say that you should set you activity level accordingly and it will be accounted for on a daily basis. Though, I work a desk job and after wearing a BodyMedia Fit for two years I found that my daily burn matched up better for calories on MFP with Lightly Active over sedentary. So if you are on your feet and moving for most of the day, then you may want to go a step about that.
  • mudonthetires856
    mudonthetires856 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I try not to log anything that I was already doing while gaining weight. I was cleaning my house while steadily gaining, so I don't log that. There are circumstances where I would though. If it was a serious spring cleaning to the point of scrubbing down all the walls, then yes, I'll log. However, I'd only log 1/2 of the total time spent cleaning since MFP overestimates calorie burn.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't log any cleaning, I do it every day, so its nothing that I feel should be logged. Its not exercise above and beyond what I would normally do. The only thing I ever log is shovelling, because it leaves me sweaty and tired. But things like dishes and sweeping? Nope.
  • sherryn84
    Options
    I work for a group home 3rd shift and do everything that 1st and 2nd shift do with 3 staff all by myself, along with cleaning (to state standards which sometimes includes scrubbing floors on hands and knees) i do not log any of my daily work responsibilities only because even though it is sometimes back breaking, sweat pouring work i have been doing it for so many years that it didnt make a difference then so it is probably not making one now. hope this helps.