Supersets?

Options
Last night I went to the gym and had my workout program adjusted. The trainer has now added a few more weight/resistance machines and a full body kettlebell workout (swings, deadlifts, rows, squats and lunges). As we were finishing up he mentioned about mixing it up sometimes and making supersets out of the kettlebells and machines... can someone please advise me on what supersets are, how I would benefit from them, and how to put supersets together... I am new to this type of thing!

Many thanks for any advice/guidance.

Replies

• Neria1235
    Neria1235 Posts: 23
    Options
    The way it was explained to me, a superset is taking several different exercises and doing "one set" of them together, then repeat 3 or 4 times. For instance, I have a superset of deadlifts and sumo squats, so I perform 15 deadlifts then 15 sumo squats, rest for 30 seconds then repeat.

However, I just started supersets this week so someone with more experience can correct me.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    Super sets are when you do two workouts back to back without taking a rest. For example, bicep curls and tricep extensions. If you are doing three sets of 15 reps, you would do one set of biceps, one of triceps, one of biceps, one of triceps, one of biceps, and one of triceps. No rest in between the sets. It's a great workout and burns more calories.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    A super set would be say doing dumbbell flies and then rolling into dumbbell chest presses. Rest. Repeat. Super sets are typically two exercises. Giant sets are the same thing except they're four exercises.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    The way it was explained to me, a superset is taking several different exercises and doing "one set" of them together, then repeat 3 or 4 times. For instance, I have a superset of deadlifts and sumo squats, so I perform 15 deadlifts then 15 sumo squats, rest for 30 seconds then repeat.

However, I just started supersets this week so someone with more experience can correct me.

That is correct. It is usually 2-3 different exercises where you go from one to the next to the next and then rest for 30seconds give or take and start over. One common superset that I do is 10 bicep curls followed by 10 hammer curls followed by 10 shoulder presses and then I repeat that 3-4 times depending on my work out.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Great question OP!
    *learn something new everyday moment*
    I'm going to try these!
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    So it is literally back to 2 back exercises.
    Is there any advantages to putting an arm exercise with a leg exercise? or is it better to put 2 arm ones together?

Sorry if this is a silly question!
    (when I get my full list of exercises with the kettlebells and the machines, I will post up a list for the supersets to see how it can be improved)