About that calorie counter.....

Options
So today is the first day I've started tracking my calories and boy let me tell you......I was in the red by lunch! lol....No seriously, I really thought I had made some great choices in my food intake, but I guess I need to rethink what I'm consuming because "Master Calorie Counter" has just hurt my little feelings. On a more positive note, I ate an egg, a small piece of sausage and a teaspoon of cheese. omelet style this morning, drank water and had a salad for lunch. Maybe not what a "life changing" (dieting) person would look at as the best meal, but consider this.....yesterday I ate 4 Publix donuts, drank about 3 cans of soda and ate a medium bag of Lays (so tasty) and that was pretty much just breakfast. That doesn't include the Sub Club from lunch, the soda and Chipotle Grill last night. Oh the list goes on and on, but I welcome you Master Calorie Counter. I won't shy away from being honest about what I've consumed and I like the accountability. In the past I've started and stopped so many times, but I feel within myself that this time is it. I'm tired of being the fat, greasy girl in the group and I want to get my sexy back. By the way, add me as friend;)

Replies

• TinyAtomic
    Options
    I find that the easiest thing for me to do is to 1) eat a lot of little healthy snacks, and 2) I burn about 600-700 calories in exercise so that way I can eat more. :)
  • MrUrsula
    MrUrsula Posts: 11
    Options
    Oh yeah, the details....my name is Ursula, I'm from Florida and I'm a big girl who wants to get her sexy back. I've had 4 kids, been through a divorce and I've had my share of unpleasantries. I'm ready to live, be free and make myself available to love. My 2013 vision board is complete and I'm ready to accomplish my goals. Join with me on this ride we call weight loss and I know we'll be successful!
  • TinyAtomic
    Options
    I''m in FL too!

Go, Sunnies.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    You were ME January 3rd. That calorie counter was an incredible eye opener!
  • MrUrsula
    Options
    Well considering that today is the first day, my body didn't want to work too hard this morning at 6, but I pressed my way through. I felt great, but now I'm sleepy. I know it's an adjustment, but I'm going to work out again this evening and start getting myself ready for what's to come. Thanks for sharing your tips. By the way, what types of "healthy snacks" do you consume? I'm so lost and I don't trust all I read online. I went to Publix at lunch and bought Kelloggs Special K Protein Snack Bar (Chocolate Delight) and they are delicious, but they are 110 calories. This good or no?
  • MizTerry
    Options
    Take a look at our diaries to get a good idea. Most people keep theirs open so they feel more accountable, plus it lets us get new ideas on foods to eat.

My first two weeks were incredibly difficult because I was used to consuming twice, sometimes three times the amount of calories listed on here. I made a realistic goal due to my age, of losing a pound a week. I lost more.

As long as you get up and do SOMETHINGat least a half hour a day, and log it. I'll answer this for you now: Housework counts. Moving counts. Shopping counts (however I don't buy this one) and sex counts if you take into consideration the time spent, position, intensity, and are willing for it to SHOW on your feed that you had sex. LOL
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers are low in calories and good too! I drink lots of water. I found that drinking a glass of water about 15 minutes before eating I eat less. Not sure if this is a great idea or not, but I will soon see if that is working.
  • DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're ready for a change. Ok....so natural fat burners are things like berries, string beans, greek yogurt, whole almonds, and I am sure many more but I only have a few to name. You also have the super foods like eggs, avacado, olive oil, almonds again. These things are super foods because they are packed with healthy fat, vitamins, and antioxidants. Try to stick with whole foods like eggs, fruits, veggies, and nuts. Watch the sugar intake. Those snack bars tend to have a lot of sugar. Cook with Olive Oil when something calls for oil. No fried foods. You don't have to give up much just watch the intake. For example, WW makes really good chocolate chip cookies and they are only 90 calories and not small at all. But if you eat a few then you just had cookies for a meal. Invest in a good food scale (you won't regret it for a second), break out the measuring cups. Think of your calories like money. When you run out you just run out. So you either excercise (work) to get more or you wait for the next day when you can start over again. If you have a bad day....it's ok...don't beat yourself up but make sure you start again the next day. LOG EVERYTHING!! Even when it seems impossible just try to figure it out. I don't have a lot of weight to lose but like a lot of people on here....I want to feel better and be stronger. I make mistakes all of the time because I'm not perfect but the deal is that this gets easier and pretty soon you will crave the good stuff and no longer want those potato chips or donuts. Hang in there girl!!! I wish nothing but good things for you :)
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yup! When I started counting calories- I was SHOCKED! I had no idea how many cals were in most foods... tortillas were a big shocker for me! In the past, I could have a whole Chipotle chicken burrito for lunch, not even think twice about it. 800+ calories- JUST FOR LUNCH! Throw a cookie or two in for a 'treat' after... and that's it! There's my calories for the day! Nevermind having any breakfast, or dinner, or a snack in the evening (when I like to snack most!)....
    It's been a real eye opener! Now I prefer to get as much food as possible for as few calories as possible- so veggies have become my new friend. Huge stirfrys, big salads with tons of chopped veggies added in and some grilled chicken on top as the protein. Throw 1-2 tbs of a low cal dressing (Trader Joe's makes some amazing ones!) and I've got a huge plate of food for about 250 calories. Compared to that 800 calorie option - I go for QUANTITY now!!!
    It's all about making better choices MOST days. Dont be hungry, just make your calories count!
    You're on your way-- good luck to you! And yes, check out other people's diaries and the message boards here for ideas - there are so many good recipes and ideas out here!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I went to Publix at lunch and bought Kelloggs Special K Protein Snack Bar (Chocolate Delight) and they are delicious, but they are 110 calories. This good or no?

Yes and no. I find for me they don't keep me full at all while half a protein bar or a protein shake will keep me full for double (if not longer) the amount of time. It's all a learning experience. You'll find what works for you after trying X then Y then Z. Rice keeps me full so sometimes I'll have it with my lunch. Carrots work for me on those days when I feel like I might keep eating just for the crunch.

Others already said it but put down everything you eat, drink (if it's not water) and of course, since you joined, check out helloitsdan's post so you can figure out your BMR and TDEE-http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12. In order to work out, you need to make sure you're getting enough food (ie-fuel)

Good luck and welcome!
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    So today is the first day I've started tracking my calories and boy let me tell you......I was in the red by lunch! lol....No seriously, I really thought I had made some great choices in my food intake, but I guess I need to rethink what I'm consuming because "Master Calorie Counter" has just hurt my little feelings. On a more positive note, I ate an egg, a small piece of sausage and a teaspoon of cheese. omelet style this morning, drank water and had a salad for lunch. Maybe not what a "life changing" (dieting) person would look at as the best meal, but consider this.....yesterday I ate 4 Publix donuts, drank about 3 cans of soda and ate a medium bag of Lays (so tasty) and that was pretty much just breakfast. That doesn't include the Sub Club from lunch, the soda and Chipotle Grill last night. Oh the list goes on and on, but I welcome you Master Calorie Counter. I won't shy away from being honest about what I've consumed and I like the accountability. In the past I've started and stopped so many times, but I feel within myself that this time is it. I'm tired of being the fat, greasy girl in the group and I want to get my sexy back. By the way, add me as friend;)

I like your honesty! Good for you! Add if you like! :)
  • MizTerry
    Options
    My husband and kids love buffets. I hate to cook. It is a lethal combination, but totally doable if you pick a couple of things and do smaller portions.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Welcome.....
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Hi there, feel free to friend me. Recording the good, the bad and the ugly is an eye opener. And just being aware of what you are eating and the fact you have to record it sure made me think twice about putting it in my mouth... LOL. Like you, I feel so much better about myself when I am not overweight.
    I have 2 boys, find life hectic and thus stuggle with the right focus on me.....BUT, I joined MFP in early December and find it great and I have some very supportive MFPeeps here. I try to be positive and honest and will cheer you on with your successes. With the right attitude, anything is possible!
  • TinyAtomic
    Options
    I eat loads of frozen blueberries and fresh apples and steamed veggies. And turkey slices are good too. And bananas. I like the Nature Valley Granola Thins too.

That said, invest in a measuring cups and spoons and things of that nature. It'll help loads.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent! You can do this :)
  • Cherie0622
    Cherie0622 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Take a look at our diaries to get a good idea. Most people keep theirs open so they feel more accountable, plus it lets us get new ideas on foods to eat.

My first two weeks were incredibly difficult because I was used to consuming twice, sometimes three times the amount of calories listed on here. I made a realistic goal due to my age, of losing a pound a week. I lost more.

As long as you get up and do SOMETHINGat least a half hour a day, and log it. I'll answer this for you now: Housework counts. Moving counts. Shopping counts (however I don't buy this one) and sex counts if you take into consideration the time spent, position, intensity, and are willing for it to SHOW on your feed that you had sex. LOL

Sex did not show up when I searched for it in the database. I wish it did!
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It does get easier.. even being honest about what you've really consuming.... Part of facing up to things!
  • MrUrsula
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the insight....lol! So glad sex counts in more ways than one o.O
  • canadiandee
    canadiandee Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've lost 35 pounds since I started here mid-November. I log everything I eat, exercise (treadmill, stationary bike - strength training with a trainer once my doctor signs off on it) for at least a half hour 5 times a week, and give myself some latitude on the weekends. I do eat out on weekends, but I research the restaurant beforehand and choose my meal accordingly.

I don't deprive myself of food I really want. So, the last two weekends, I felt in the mood for a good steak, and had that at the local steakhouse. I'll often have a few bites of dessert on the weekends (cheesecake, tiramisu), but only a few bites. And those are heavenly bites. Some days I have a treat of some kind (often a piece of chocolate) that I factor into my daily allowance. Occasionally I'll have a hot dog at a hockey game, but again, it has to factor into my daily allowance.

I started at 1200 calories and not eating back my exercise calories, but my daughter nagged me until I upped my daily allowance AND ate back my exercise. Believe or not, I'm losing weight faster than when I ate less and didn't give myself back my exercise calories.

And I'm 53 years old.