Should I Track My Sugar?

Options
I almost NEVER go over my calorie goal. (Excluding this week, it's been all over the place) That being said, I ALWAYS go over my sugar goal. ALWAYS. Every single day. Whether it's natural sugars in fruit, or a scoop of ice cream or a slice of pizza, I always exceed my allotment. And it drives me nuts, I hate seeing that evil little red number at the bottom of the column.

So should I even track it? I see a lot of diaries that opt to not even have it show up. Plus, I only have a very small amount of body fat left to lose. If I'm consistently under my calorie goal, does my sugar matter?

Thoughts? I'm open to all opinions.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're not consuming stupid amounts of it I wouldn't even bother tracking it.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to just track my carbs, and I'm aiming for 40/30/30 in my percentages (protein/carbs/fat).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're not consuming stupid amounts of it I wouldn't even bother tracking it.

^^yep
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Please define "stupid amounts". :laugh: Some days it's over by quite a bit. How many grams over goal is pushing it, do you think?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Mfp gives you a goal that's less sugar than is in a banana. My sugar is in the red before I'm done with breakfast and the only thing I have for breakfast that has sugar is fruit. I'd give myself a complex worrying about it-unless I had a medical reason to be concerned.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Please define "stupid amounts". :laugh: Some days it's over by quite a bit. How many grams over goal is pushing it, do you think?

If your entire bank of discretionary intake is spent on pure sugar I'd possibly have concerns.
    EDIT: I'm more concerned about your macros than your sugar intake:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

IMO, stupid amounts are amount that mean that you are not getting enough other macronutrients and/or mean that you are not getting a decent mix of micronutrients.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks, guys. I just won't worry about it, then. I eat a good amount of fresh vegetables and lean proteins and low carbs, I think I'm good on getting the nutrition I need. I just like candy a lot. :tongue:

Off to delete the sugar counter in my diary. :drinker:
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    theres not many days where i go dont go over 80 grams, i wouldnt even worry about the sugar content in fruits or veggies, the only real crappy source i get it from is bbq sauce and stir fry sauces :)
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I got so tired of seeing my sugar grams in the red just from eating something like a protein bar and a grapefruit that I finally deleted it and replaced it with iron.
  • jlsteele01
    jlsteele01 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Calories are the number one thing to count. If you aren't going over, there's no real reason to count your sugar. I am severe hypoglycemic so I have to do that, but if you don't have that problem, there's no reason to worry with it. :)
  • JellyButter
    JellyButter Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't track my sugar....my salt & carbs are more of a bother.
  • Fnarfig
    Fnarfig Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for all this input, everyone. I just joined this website and I'm getting frustrated with the sugar thing myself! What can you eat that doesn't have any sugar?! Now, I'll worry about it less, since my calorie intake is below the numbers and my other numbers are good as well. Unless, of course, I eat something ridiculous!