Hey crossfitters:

_noob_
_noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
Crossfit-based high intensity power training improves maximal aerobic fitness and body composition.
Smith MM, Sommer AJ, Starkoff BE, Devor ST.
J Strength Cond Res. 2013 Feb 22.

ABSTRACT: The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of a crossfit-based high intensity power training (HIPT) program on aerobic fitness and body composition. Healthy subjects of both genders (23 males, 20 females) spanning all levels of aerobic fitness and body composition completed 10 weeks of HIPT consisting of lifts such as the squat, deadlift, clean, snatch, and overhead press performed as quickly as possible. Additionally, this crossfit-based HIPT program included skill work for the improvement of traditional Olympic lifts and selected gymnastic exercises. Body fat percentage was estimated using whole body plethysmography and maximal aerobic capacity (VO2max) was measured by analyzing expired gasses during a Bruce protocol maximal graded treadmill test. These variables were measured again following 10 weeks of training and compared for significant changes using a paired t-test. Results showed significant (P<0.05) improvements of VO2max in males (43.10±1.40 to 48.96±1.42 ml/kg/min) and females (35.98±1.60 to 40.22±1.62 ml/kg/min) as well as decreased body fat percentage in males (22.2±1.3 to 18.0±1.3) and females (26.6±2.0 to 23.2±2.0). These improvements were significant across all levels of initial fitness. Significant correlations between absolute oxygen consumption and oxygen consumption relative to body weight was found in both men (r=0.83, P<0.001) and women (r=0.94, P<0.001), indicating HIPT improved VO2max scaled to body weight independent of changes to body composition. Our data shows that HIPT significantly improves VO2max and body composition in subjects of both genders across all levels of fitness.

Replies

• __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    i can dig it
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    I would make some brilliant and eloquent comment either for or against what the OP posted...if only I knew what any of it meant.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    I would make some brilliant and eloquent comment either for or against what the OP posted...if only I knew what any of it meant.

who knows?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member

who knows?

Well yeah!! What he said...and stuff!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I mostly clicked through to this post for the inevitable gifs...

...but since there aren't any yet, I guess I'll read the abstract instead.

Hmmm, this sounds like a good thing...

...for anyone who can do at least 10 weeks of Crossfit-type training...

...without getting injured.

3...2...1...Go!
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Are you trying to jinx me because I'm only 9 weeks in?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Crossfit-based high intensity power training improves maximal aerobic fitness and body composition.

ABSTRACT: The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of a crossfit-based high intensity power training (HIPT) program on aerobic fitness and body composition. Healthy subjects of both genders (23 males, 20 females) spanning all levels of aerobic fitness and body composition completed 10 weeks of HIPT consisting of lifts such as the squat, deadlift, clean, snatch, and overhead press performed as quickly as possible. Additionally, this crossfit-based HIPT program included skill work for the improvement of traditional Olympic lifts and selected gymnastic exercises. Body fat percentage was estimated using calipers and maximal aerobic capacity (VO2max) was measured by analyzing expired gasses during a Bruce protocol maximal graded treadmill test. These variables sound great but when we tried to do the various tests on the crossfitters we couldn't get them to stop kipping!! One of them knocked over all the crap on my desk and another chick kipped a sandwich off of her plate and spilled mustard on my damn shirt.

fixed.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    So, I'm a crossfitter. So I would love to say this is a great study... but they pretty much had no controls.

It's really a pretty poor example of science, but thanks for showing me! It's good to see crossfit being researched!
  • Awkward30

3...2...1...Go!

9 of the 54 participants dropped out citing overuse or other type of injury.
  • Awkward30

ABSTRACT: The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of a crossfit-based high intensity power training (HIPT) program on aerobic fitness and body composition. Healthy subjects of both genders (23 males, 20 females) spanning all levels of aerobic fitness and body composition completed 10 weeks of HIPT consisting of lifts such as the squat, deadlift, clean, snatch, and overhead press performed as quickly as possible. Additionally, this crossfit-based HIPT program included skill work for the improvement of traditional Olympic lifts and selected gymnastic exercises. Body fat percentage was estimated using calipers and maximal aerobic capacity (VO2max) was measured by analyzing expired gasses during a Bruce protocol maximal graded treadmill test. These variables sound great but when we tried to do the various tests on the crossfitters we couldn't get them to stop kipping!! One of them knocked over all the crap on my desk and another chick kipped a sandwich off of her plate and spilled mustard on my damn shirt.

fixed.

Stupid people who crossfit don't make gainz, same as the dumbass at the gym that uses the same weight on the same stuff every week isn't making gainz.

Smart people who crossfit and understand its limitations can make great gains. I couldn't hang and bend my arms in November, and I can do a set of 5 strict pull ups now. I will probably kip later, but not until I have built up real shoulder strength, because I'd rather not injure my shoulders. Yeah, a lot of people do stupid stuff in crossfit, but I think the principles of the "sport" itself aren't bad.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

Don't worry about it. He'll post another thread in the next 45 minutes and I'm positive that you will be able to wax eloquently on that one
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member

3...2...1...Go!

iAMoPclUuVjfq.gif

tumblr_lhbbz91Wg51qa5ylbo1_500.gif
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    was measured by analyzing expired gasses

Is it because they eat paleo?
  • I mostly clicked through to this post for the inevitable gifs...

3...2...1...Go!

Indeed. I would never have doubted the results would be what they were, but I also don't doubt the real possibility of injury.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member

3...2...1...Go!

The study had a 16% drop out rate due to injury in the 10 week period...

Good lord.
  • The study had a 16% drop out rate due to injury in the 10 week period...

Good lord.

oh. well there you have it.