RUNNING?!

Options
So i have lots of friends that love to run and do marathons(including my roomate who runs at least six miles a day) and i really want to join them. My whole life i have thought of running as almost a punishment, but now that i have started losing weight it is not so bad. I want to figure out how people run for such long distances though, because i find it hard not only physically but mentally too. Any suggestions?
-Heidi

Replies

• fitladyfawkes
    fitladyfawkes Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    So i have lots of friends that love to run and do marathons(including my roomate who runs at least six miles a day) and i really want to join them. My whole life i have thought of running as almost a punishment, but now that i have started losing weight it is not so bad. I want to figure out how people run for such long distances though, because i find it hard not only physically but mentally too. Any suggestions?
    -Heidi
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    Sorry Heidi, I'm with you. Running is my last resort cardio workout. It's definitely easier since I've been working out/lost weight, but it's still torture for me!:grumble:
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    A couple of things:

Start small! Try a program like the couch to 5k or something like that.

Have a goal in mind--like a 5k. It gives you something to shoot for.

Run with a partner. It helps to have someone to talk to.

If you don't have a partner, listen to music! An ipod is a great companion on a run!

Those are some things that have helped me. Good luck!
  • Zborni4
    Zborni4 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I actually like to run, I am bad at it and unfortunately have bad knees so it hurts sometimes but I love the way I feel afterwards. I found what helps me is to go to a gym that has tvs and watch your favorite show as you run. You tend not to think about it as much. Also a great playlist on an MP3 player helps a lot. If you would rather run outdoors, find a pretty place that you like to go and as they said start small. I would love to run marathons but I dont know how realistic that is. Just do the best you can and see how long you can go. Good luck!
  • tarakeet0369
    Options
    im like you not a runner but she loves it goes crazy! support if there a runner and in a biker like me and emily! we do the same amount at the same time she runs and i bike either way same results!
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5k is wonderful! I just ran for 20 minutes without stopping (yeah me!) For me this is an amazing accomplishment. I'm hoping to run a full 5k by the end of July. Also mapmyrun.com is great resource.

Good Luck and don't give up!
  • kittybellenir
    kittybellenir Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    heres what works for me Eminem, and 50 cent, a little buck cherry, and fort minor and some Jason Mraz, then run a distance from point A to Point B and have your Point B get further and further away from A, I find that when I run laps around a track or an apartment complex or a neighborhood I get sick. I used to drive my PE/Athletic Director/ Coaches up the wall, as they would yell "Kitty Run" I would shout back, "I'm not being chased, You should only run if your being chased".
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Running doesn't have to be a form of punishment and after you get into it for a while it becomes something else. I can tell you no other exercise gives me the sense of accomplishment as running and finishing that day's goals. You can set up run time goals, distance goals, sprinting goals whatever goal you want. You don't have to run everyday to get there either. Just take it slow and work up to where you want yourself to be. I remember asking that same question about 4 yrs ago... what do you think about when you run? And honestly, the answer varies for each person.
    Sometimes:
    I work out whatever problems I have going on in my life
    I make a grocery list
    I make a honey do list
    I listen to my Ipod and think of nothing
    I picture myself finishing
    I repeat a mantra
    OR - on a bad day.. man this sucks, man this sucks!!
    In the end, always feel better.
    -Good luck!
  • haydenmw
    haydenmw Posts: 2
    Options
    I run at least 6 miles a day also. I can't give much advice except keep at it. I didn't start liking it until I forced myself to run a little longer then I did the day before, I started with one mile a day and it took me 4 years to get up to 10, but the only reason it took me that long is because I was on and off again all the time, but once I buckled down I finally started showing improvement.
    Another inspiration was my coach who always told me that when you are about to die of pain thats when you know your half way done, and that is so true. The hardest part of running for me is the first three miles and then I can go on forever.
    So I'd say just keep pressing on until it comes naturally to you, you'll soon find the pain enjoyable (I know that sounds crazy, but I'm serious)
    Oh and practice breathing, thats one of things that most people have trouble with, I don't want to gice you advice on this cause I never really learned the right way to breath, but I'm doing fine. So ask your runner friend how to breath correctly.
    And try your hardest not to think of the pain.
    Oh, and your Ipod will be your new best friend, make sure the music you listen too while you run is upbeat and makes you energized, this will help A LOT!
    once you get the hang of it, you'll seriously get excited to go on your daily run, I can't even believe what an effect its had on my life.
  • petdam
    petdam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's not as difficult as it may seem, especially if you're following the couch-2-5k program. To make things even easier there is a podcast, with 9 episodes to put on your mp3 player with the couch-2-5k program. With the podcast you don't even have to think, just follow the orders and listen to the music! I highly recommend you give it a try:
    http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page6/page6.html
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Hi girlie!!!

There are many sites online if you Google; "How to train for a marathon". Finding a friend (my hubby or son) to run with has given me the energy to run. I strive to keep moving and keep up with my hubby, and he won't stop running because no girlie is going to beat him at running! :laugh: We ran for...I forget??? About 45 minutes last night just up the street and back, and up the street and back... I look forward to seeing what everyone suggests!!!
  • fitladyfawkes
    Options
    Hey guys! Wow, thanks sooooo much for all of your advice. This has helped me ALOT! I decided that i am going to start training for a 5k that is on the 4th of July, and i know that all of your advice is going to help me make this goal. Wow, i love this website, you all help me more than you know! Thanks again!!!!!( and feel free to keep going with the advice:wink: )
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I used to think it was the last thing I would want to do but I wasn't doing much else and walking 4-5 miles a day was like a slow torture to me.

I started with intervals, still do them as I continue to build my strength. It wasn't until I had my first dose of the "runner's high" that I was hooked. Yes, I will admit it, I was doing intervals and hit an all time high for speed and distance and I actually shed a tear of joy.....it's ok to laugh, I had to laugh at myself, but I have been hooked ever since.

You need to start gradually to avoid injury, because an injury will keep you from other cardio too. Baby steps, like in week one my goal was to get 2.25 miles done in 30 minutes and the next week 2.5 and then I have added time so now I try to get 4 miles in less than 45 minutes etc. Little goals to build strength.

I think you will find that running is nice way of getting your intesity up and clearing your mind.
  • AngelicDevil80
    AngelicDevil80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    heres what works for me Eminem, and 50 cent, a little buck cherry, and fort minor and some Jason Mraz, then run a distance from point A to Point B and have your Point B get further and further away from A, I find that when I run laps around a track or an apartment complex or a neighborhood I get sick. I used to drive my PE/Athletic Director/ Coaches up the wall, as they would yell "Kitty Run" I would shout back, "I'm not being chased, You should only run if your being chased".

lol! :laugh:
  • fitladyfawkes
    Options
    I used to think it was the last thing I would want to do but I wasn't doing much else and walking 4-5 miles a day was like a slow torture to me.

I started with intervals, still do them as I continue to build my strength. It wasn't until I had my first dose of the "runner's high" that I was hooked. Yes, I will admit it, I was doing intervals and hit an all time high for speed and distance and I actually shed a tear of joy.....it's ok to laugh, I had to laugh at myself, but I have been hooked ever since.

You need to start gradually to avoid injury, because an injury will keep you from other cardio too. Baby steps, like in week one my goal was to get 2.25 miles done in 30 minutes and the next week 2.5 and then I have added time so now I try to get 4 miles in less than 45 minutes etc. Little goals to build strength.

I think you will find that running is nice way of getting your intesity up and clearing your mind.

Hey yeah thanks, i think taking it slowly is the way to go too. I used to not even be able to run a mile, but now i can do at least a mile and a half, so i will go from there and work slowly, an injury at this point would be the worst thing possible!
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    It may be a little short until 4th of July to do that, but try it anyway.
    The most common and successfull training concepts used these days is as far as I know what is called Periodization Training. Many different trainers in different sport disciplines use it very successfully. The idea is to start resonably low, what ever you can do. Increase your effort, in this case your distance, by 10% per week. After 3 weeks take a break ( no running in your case, but you can do other sports) and after that start a new period of three weeks, but start at a significantly higher level. AT the end, a few days up to one week before the event you start tapering of (= do almost nothing).

Now in your case you'd have to break that down into days because of the short time. But the same idea still applies. Start by counting back from your event date and set up a schedule. Under the circumstances you may want to do something like a 5 day period, then 2 or three days breal, then next period or something like that.

By doing this you avoid overtraining, you have a clear goal and you have manageable steps to get there.

Hope that helps