The best foods for runners

Options
aippolito1
aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
I found this article very informative. Most of the foods are basic foods you want to eat to be healthy & lose weight but they go into detail about WHY they're good for a runner and how to fit them into your diet. I love this!

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-301--10200-1-1X2X3X4X6X7-7,00.html

Replies

• supersarah14
    supersarah14 Posts: 170
    Options
    That is totally creepy...I was just reading that article! LOL. :laugh:
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    tagging to read later :flowerforyou:
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the great article!
  • oliveoil7979
    oliveoil7979 Posts: 112
    Options
    bump for later
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    will definately ready later...thanks!
  • geoffsroote
    geoffsroote Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm eating most of that stuff already, thanks for posting this so I can incorporate the rest!
  • Bee28
    Bee28 Posts: 99
    Options
    bump
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm not a runner yet but hoping to get there at some point... I love most of these foods already and I'm glad to know they are on the list. Probably need to get some oranges though... I've cut out juice and need some other kind of Vitamin C!
  • Crawline
    Crawline Posts: 1,028
    Options
    bump
  • Always_lil_j
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!!
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I would also add bananas to that list.

Bananas give your body carbohydrates that it needs for energy. So do other fruits, vegetables, whole grains, pastas, and beans. Carbohydrates are stored in our muscles as glycogen. As your body needs it, glycogen is broken down into glucose, the fuel that your body runs on.

Bananas also have a lot of potassium. Potassium helps keep your heartbeat regular, controls muscle tightening (contractions), and controls the body's water balance.

During a lot of physical activity the body loses potassium. Muscle cramps can sometimes come from not having enough minerals such as potassium. That's why bananas are good snacks to eat before or after exercising.

Thanks for posting. :smile:
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Great post!!