Eating too much???

Options
I am always hungry!

I have my calory goal set for 1700 cals, as I do a very active job.. I'm literally on my feet all day! And chose to put to lose half a pound a week as I don't have a lot of weight to lose (However reading posts on here, it now seems a bit high) I also earn approx 4-500 extra calories thru exercise most days. But I feel so hungry every 3-4 hours, I always eat nearly all of my exercise cals back and could probably eat more of I let myself!

What can I do to try and "sort myself out"

Replies

• Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    It's okay to eat back your exercise calories because the number you set should already be at a deficit
  • JellyButter
    JellyButter Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    On average we're all "suppose" to eat 2000 calories per day..& since you're active and on your feet all day you should be fine.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. As long as you are not eating junk...fuel your body.
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I hear you!!

Unfortunately I don't have a solution :(

Interested to see what people recommend.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    On average we're all "suppose" to eat 2000 calories per day..& since you're active and on your feet all day you should be fine.

Really? Everyone is supposed to eat 2000 calories per day? Just curious, where did you get that information?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound high at all if you're looking for 1/2 Lb weight loss. What is your activity setting? It might actually be low if you're really working a laborious job and your activity setting is too low...which would explain your hunger.

Another question would be, are you really hungry...or are you bored or something/

What kind of foods are you eating? If you have a carb heavy diet, they simply don't fill you up for long and they tend to be calorie dense. Get more protein and healthy fats...and get plenty of fiber with your fruit and veg and some whole grains. These are the things that leave you satiated for longer.

Also, I found that eating every few hours helps me...just plan those snacks into your day. Sounds like if you're eating back exercise calories (and you should be), you're grossing around 2,100 or thereabouts. I gross 2,150...you can take a look at my diary, it's public.
  • LisaLamb1
    LisaLamb1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound high at all if you're looking for 1/2 Lb weight loss. What is your activity setting? It might actually be low if you're really working a laborious job and your activity setting is too low...which would explain your hunger.

Another question would be, are you really hungry...or are you bored or something/

What kind of foods are you eating? If you have a carb heavy diet, they simply don't fill you up for long and they tend to be calorie dense. Get more protein and healthy fats...and get plenty of fiber with your fruit and veg and some whole grains. These are the things that leave you satiated for longer.

Also, I found that eating every few hours helps me...just plan those snacks into your day. Sounds like if you're eating back exercise calories, you're grossing around 2,100 or thereabouts. I gross 2,150...you can take a look at my diary, it's public.

yup, little and often works for me too, snacks make all the difference.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    thats funny, cause my TDEE is 1850 on the days I lift :grumble:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How much fat and protein are you eating? Have you calculated your TDEE?
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Google bmr (basic metabolic reqirements) calculator that should give you a calculator to do that and calculate your tdee(total daily energy expenditure. I am 5'3"165 and losing weight like crazy at 1800 net...lightly active.
  • CasablancasTX
    Options
    Google bmr (basic metabolic reqirements) calculator that should give you a calculator to do that and calculate your tdee(total daily energy expenditure. I am 5'3"165 and losing weight like crazy at 1800 net...lightly active.

No offense, but 2lbs since December 2012 is not 'like crazy.'
  • Ryanmariem
    Ryanmariem Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Also, I found that eating every few hours helps me...just plan those snacks into your day. Sounds like if you're eating back exercise calories (and you should be), you're grossing around 2,100 or thereabouts. I gross 2,150...you can take a look at my diary, it's public.

This sounds right to me. ^^

It is important get some good protien @ breakfast and throughout the day. Snacking is not bad as long as it is healthy snacks. I find almonds a great snack, curbs the cravings and is filling a handfull does it (aprox 25-28 almonds)... personally I find the key is to keep your blood sugars level, that means I eat like 6 times a day, my three reg meals along w/three snacks. I try to keep my food "clean" (no processed and junk stuff) lots of veggies and a steady flow of protein... wow it has helped a lot. On days I have more activities I just adjust my snack/meal amount, so I don't starve... just got to remember the calorie counter tool here on MFP should already have a deficit for your goal, and does not include the added workouts/activities.

good luck!
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    veggies!! lots and lots of veggies.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, what are you eating? Or open your diary.
  • benemma05
    benemma05 Posts: 11
    Options
    I think I eat quite a few carbs, usually cereal/porridge and a banana, brown bread at lunch with some fruit and potatoes or brown rice or pasta for tea with chicken or lean/quorn mince and veggies then fat free yog for pudding. I have the odd naughty treat but within my calorie goal. Daily amounts average from 220-300 carbs per day and protein is between 50-70. I'm slightly confused by all this TDEE.. Seems a bit complicated for my simple brain!!

Also what is Bump??!!

Thanks
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    A bump means the person is saving this topic to read later.

TDEE is your maintenance calories. You can look at it if you go to goals. It should say "Calories burned from daily activity." That number is only going to be accurate though if you accurately entered your activity level when you set up your account. If you did then you can take that number and subtract 20% to get the number of calories you should be eating.

Eat protein and fats for greater satiety. I have my protein set at 1 gram per pound of lean body mass, which is 98 grams for me. I have fats set at .35 grams per pound of body weight, which is 49 grams. That seems to keep me full.
  • marand94608
    marand94608 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My suggestion for hunger pangs is to take a few sips of water. After a few minutes you may not feel so hungry. Always try to keep a water bottle with you.

When I did a 3-day fast on a Vision Quest that's what the guides told us to do. I went through 3 gallons of water in three days but the hunger actually wasn't that big a deal. It was very liberating not to have to deal with food or cooking or shopping during that time.