Wieghing food

Options
I have a food scale but honestly never used it. I log food by how much, cup ect.. but i am wounding if this is not accuret and if I should start wieghing my food. does anyone out there wiegh their food? has it helped be accuret?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    I use scales but I think a cup can be accurate for some things, especially liquids, if it is an actual measuring cup with markings.

Other things, like mashed potatoes, would be hard to accurately cup measure IMO
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Weighing your food is more accurate than using measuring cups. I would suggest you start using your scale.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food. Watch this - it's an eyeopener.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I weigh every thing.
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    As above, yup, I weigh most everything I eat and measure all liquids. Am one of those 'same food' eaters so some things I now guesstimate but after 4 months of weighing I'm normally pretty close (I think).

Then of course there is the can of worms that gets opened when you try and choose the correct food item from the database ;)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I measure liquids, and weigh everything else. It does make a huge difference.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yes, use your scale! It makes a huge difference.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I measure liquids, and weigh everything else. It does make a huge difference.

This for everything!
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale but honestly never used it. I log food by how much, cup ect.. but i am wounding if this is not accuret and if I should start wieghing my food. does anyone out there wiegh their food? has it helped be accuret?

I use both..depends what it is...I measure liquids, and some other items like that but I weigh my meat and veggies usually.
  • soaringlikeaneagle70
    soaringlikeaneagle70 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I weigh most of my food and measure liquids
  • lovinmomma
    Options
    thank you everyone I am hoping this will help !!
  • queenbear5
    queenbear5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I also weigh everything. Precision is key when you're counting every calorie.
  • lovinmomma
    Options
    and how do i log by grams does anyone know?
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Even my scoop of protein powder was not equal to a serving it was a very rounded scooped I did not know this until I weighed it and a cup of raspberries were falling off the rounded cup before I got to the serving weight. So I was under eating without weighing.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed in ages, just use cup measurements, nothing wrong with it. I don't want to be weighing my chicken when I'm 80 or counting calories, so just don't do it. You eventually learn to eye ball most things.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options

2 seconds after watching this is when I started diligently weighing (almost) everything... j/s... especially anything high cal... I still might measure cups of veggies, but pb oil anything like that is by weight...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed in ages, just use cup measurements, nothing wrong with it. I don't want to be weighing my chicken when I'm 80 or counting calories, so just don't do it. You eventually learn to eye ball most things.

The issue is, you need to know how much a serving is in the first place when trying to ensure you are on a deficit. I agree, that after a while it may not be necessary and when trying to maintain you should be able to intuitively eat. However, when starting out and trying to get some sense of accuracy, it is a very good idea. It is even more important when you are not getting the results you expect.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    and how do i log by grams does anyone know?

When you weigh your food, use the grams measurement, then if the food you want to log doesn't have a gram measurement in the database, or is entered as "1/2 c (40 g)", you can always change it if you have the information from the packaging. Produce and meats (and maybe other items) that are entered in the database by MFP don't have a * next to them, and they will give you the option to enter your servings in grams. If I'm entering something I eat often into the database, I'll enter the serving size in grams first, then the cup measurement in parentheses so that people who don't weigh their food still see the serving size. I edit stuff a lot, too, so the measurement is in grams.
  • lovinmomma
    Options

thank you!!! I think this is what Im doing wrong!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    As above, yup, I weigh most everything I eat and measure all liquids. Am one of those 'same food' eaters so some things I now guesstimate but after 4 months of weighing I'm normally pretty close (I think).

Then of course there is the can of worms that gets opened when you try and choose the correct food item from the database ;)

I get myself - I get out what I think is right, then double check.