Aggravated ..... What am I doing wrong?

Options
I don't know what I'm doing wrong!!! I'm on weight watchers & also doing MFP. I exercise 6 days a week for 30min - to an hour. I basically stick to just walking exercises because I have RA so it's hard for me to do extreme exercise. I do crunches on an exercise ball & use 5lb weights for general weight exercises. I'm eating right lots of veggies, fruits, chicken, fish & drinking lots of water. I take designer whey protein after my workouts & stick to snacks like popcorn, rice cakes, jello, 100 calorie or less snacks & yogurts or fruits & veggies. I eat small portions for my main 3 meals so it's not like I'm overeating. It's been 4-5 weeks since I started. I was down 5.4lbs but then the scale started going up which everyone told me is most likely muscle gain. My clothes fit the same but family has noticed my face is thinner. Am I doing everything right?? I have a friend who is down 21lbs in 5 weeks already & I'm doing everything she is. I just don't understand : / right now I'm 230lbs my goal is 150lbs

Replies

• geoffsroote
    geoffsroote Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know it's tough, but after doing just what you're talking about myself and giving up, and season after season of the biggest loser I can tell you, you're going at it correctly. I think it's possible you're undereating a little and as a result you might have go into starvation mode. Working out an hour a day for 6 days a week will burn a lot of calories, depending on the intensity of the workout.

Think of it this way, Michael Phelps is a physical specimen, but he stated that he eats 8,000 to 10,000 calories a day when training.

You may want to consult someone at weight watchers, a doctor, or even a nutritionalist who can help you figure it out.
  • MyKidzMom
    MyKidzMom Posts: 97
    Options
    Oh how I feel your pain......I just a a gripe fest this morning. I have started walking 5 miles a day and today when I got on the scale it was back up 4lbs......
  • faithNlove212
    faithNlove212 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm allowed 1370 calories a day on MFP & 31 points for weight watchers. When I enter my meals for the day on here it's all correct. So even with weight watchers I'm hitting my goal of 1370 calories. I was 150lbs before my son 2 years ago this is the heaviest I've ever been. I'm engaged & also in 3 weddings coming up this year & next year. I feel like I'm getting no where!!!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    It may be you are not eating enough calories. I am a nursing mother and after each of my four babies it wasn't until I stopped nursing that I would loose the weight. Only since joining this site, I learned I needed to UP my calories by 500. I wasn't losing weight because my body thought it was starving...SO...said all that to say, it may be the same for you. Maybe you need to make sure you are eating most of your exercise calories. Also, try making sure you aren't eating much processed stuff. I find for me, higher protein and lower starchy carbs does the trick.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the right track with one exception . . . quit that whey protein habit! When I spoke to a nutritionalist about that (as I started out quite close to your weight also last year) she told me that those protein shakes they tout for after/before workouts are predominatly for athletes to replace the huge amount of calories they burn from the extreme amounts of training they log. Someone at our weight does not need those, a balanced diet is enough. Protein shakes help add bulk and someone who has as much weight to lose as we do does not require this at all.

Everything else you are doing looks good as long as you ensure to eat some of your exercise calories back if you do an intensive long workout so you are not getting to few "net" calories.

Keep up the good work!
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Oh I feel the same.

I'm a petite person (5' 2") and I workout 6/7days a week doing at least 20 or 30 mins of interval training. I eat 5-8 small meals a day, eating all the right foods (veggies, beans, fish, chicken, turkey, the occasional red meat, fruit & nut snack bars, dried fruits), drinking the recommended 8 glasses of water a day (sometimes more, because I sometimes drink Japanese green tea), and barely drink any alcohol (maybe the ONE 8oz of cider or beer on the weekends but not every weekend).

I've been doing this for a month and a half and all I've lost is 2kg.

I'm eating over 1200 calories and sometimes eat my calories burnt but I sometimes leave over 100 deficit but still over my 1200.
    (I did eat all my calories a day including my calories burnt for 2 weeks but I gained weight dramatically, so I thought this way wasn't for me and opted to make sure I just eat, just over 1200 calories even if I have exercised that day to see how that goes).

It's frustrating how slow shedding the weight is although I'm appreciating the energy boosts I'm getting from all my exercising. I feel I'm getting stronger everyday and the workouts are getting a little easier each day but I'm not losing the inches and my body weight fluctuates daily.

But I keep telling myself to keep going because I know I'll reap the rewards eventually.

MUST NOT GIVE UP even though I'm not seeing what I want to see.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining on such a big deficit, it's time to eat more.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs per week. Therefore, if you have been at this 5 weeks and you've lost 5lbs. That is right on track. Way to go!:drinker: As for the scale going back up, I have a couple questions.

1) Could it be TOM? Almost EVERY woman I've talked with gains at least a couple pounds around TOM. It usually drops back off soon after.
    2) How is your sodium intake? Personally, sodium really affects me.:grumble: If you've had more sodium than usual recently, that could be causing some of it.

If it IS either of these, upping your water and potassium intake will help both of these. There are other possibilities, but upping those is good for you.

Hope this helped!:flowerforyou:
  • gecallo
    gecallo Posts: 135
    Options
    You shouldn't compare yourself with your friend. What works for her doesn't necessarily work for everyone (different body, metabolism, genetics, etc.). Focus on what works for YOU. It would be nice to see what your food diary looks like from day to day.
  • faithNlove212
    faithNlove212 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Wait so the extra calories I get from exercising I have to eat?? I'm usually getting 200-300 extra after I exercise. So basically I have to eat all my 1370 calories plus the ones I gain through exercise?
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    quit that whey protein habit!

Yeah, these meal replacement shakes or whatnot are more for people who have trouble eating all their calories. I use protein powder but only because I'm eating 1800+.

It doesn't sound like you need a recovery drink for your workout (unless it typically makes you sore the next day).
    Wait so the extra calories I get from exercising I have to eat?? I'm usually getting 200-300 extra after I exercise. So basically I have to eat all my 1370 calories plus the ones I gain through exercise?

That would be an excellent place to start!
  • jschneider360
    Options
    You may not be eating enough. If your on a 1350 calorie diet you should be eating 5 meals at 270 calories each meal with making sure your balanced in carbs and protein. Its tough to eat 5 times a day at first but I went from eating 2 times a day to 5 well balanced meals a day and lost 36 lbs in 3 months. Your metobalism is in a steady motion with 5 meals a day and even burning while you sleep. Keep it up. You'll get there!

Jon
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the right track with one exception . . . quit that whey protein habit! When I spoke to a nutritionalist about that (as I started out quite close to your weight also last year) she told me that those protein shakes they tout for after/before workouts are predominatly for athletes to replace the huge amount of calories they burn from the extreme amounts of training they log. Someone at our weight does not need those, a balanced diet is enough. Protein shakes help add bulk and someone who has as much weight to lose as we do does not require this at all.

Everything else you are doing looks good as long as you ensure to eat some of your exercise calories back if you do an intensive long workout so you are not getting to few "net" calories.

Keep up the good work!

I hate to say this, but this is false. Whey protein does not bulk you up unless you are doing exercises to bulk up. Whey protein is just regular protein and is great for those struggling to meet their daily protein goal such as myself - my daily goal is 105g of protein based on my calories and I work out so much, I usually have to get about 130g and the only way to meet that most days is with a whey protein shake. I do them right after a work out... have only been doing it for about a week and a half to two weeks and I haven't noticed a difference in myself "bulking up". I feel fuller longer and it holds me over in the shower until I can get out and cook my dinner. I know I haven't been using them long, but just look at kaitlinj. The woman is a machine, does protein shakes every day after her work outs and you can't tell me she's bulked up.

I do have to agree, though, that at your size, you probably don't need the whey protein, unless you can't meet your protein goal otherwise. I eat protein at every meal and some in my snacks and there's just no way I could eat more food-based protein so this is the reason I'm using it, and because I keep reading EVERYWHERE that it's great for repairing your muscles after a work out.

To the OP - You might want to cut down on your 100 calorie packs as those have a lot of fake sugar in them that could be hindering your weight loss. Which macro nutrients do you track in your diary? Another one to watch would be sodium. Sugar can be set up to 40g per day but this is for added sugar so don't get discouraged if you go over because of fruit. Sodium can be 2300-2500mg ... too much excess sodium causes your body to retain water so this could also be the cause of your "gain" and inability to lose recently. Third, you just started. You probably got rid of some water weight starting off and now you just need to tweak some stuff and allow your body to adjust to it before it's going to shed the other weight. Give it time, hon!
  • clswinehart
    Options
    1370 calories??? I'm guessing you are not eating enough either. When I started out I wieghed 182 and I want to say I had something like 1500+ calories allotted to me. Are you eating the calories you burn with exercise? I know it may be hard to let yourself do it without some guilt, but it's really important.

Also keep in mind that slow weight loss is healthier, longer lasting, and less painful than quick weight loss. My goal was a pound a week because I figured 52 lbs in a year was a heck of a lot better than where I was now and it was a doable goal.

Good luck! I know it's frustrating but keep at it. It will start coming off.
  • iluvjac
    iluvjac Posts: 12
    Options
    I am so glad to have read this!! I was feeling really crappy this week too!! I weigh in every Wed and notice no loss for this week! Very sad, but my sister said that I should also measure myself because I could have loss that way.

I BELIEVE in what the others said about eating more. Your body goes into "starvation" mode and tries to hold onto reserve fat so your body can have the alloted the calories that it burns on a regular basis. Try stepping up on the veggies and protein, and see what happens. I bet you will see some results!

When you work out you do need extra calories! You don't have to eat everything that you burned off, but step up your calorie intake by a little, and check in with your WW person and see what they think!

No matter what, you ARE doing the right thing, just be eating better! Be proud of that! It is a very hard thing to do! And never compare yourself to anyone! You are unique!

Take Care! Let us know on how it is going!!!!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Keep up the good work!

I hate to say this, but this is false. Whey protein does not bulk you up unless you are doing exercises to bulk up. Whey protein is just regular protein and is great for those struggling to meet their daily protein goal such as myself - my daily goal is 105g of protein based on my calories and I work out so much, I usually have to get about 130g and the only way to meet that most days is with a whey protein shake. I do them right after a work out... have only been doing it for about a week and a half to two weeks and I haven't noticed a difference in myself "bulking up". I feel fuller longer and it holds me over in the shower until I can get out and cook my dinner. I know I haven't been using them long, but just look at kaitlinj. The woman is a machine, does protein shakes every day after her work outs and you can't tell me she's bulked up.

I do have to agree, though, that at your size, you probably don't need the whey protein, unless you can't meet your protein goal otherwise. I eat protein at every meal and some in my snacks and there's just no way I could eat more food-based protein so this is the reason I'm using it, and because I keep reading EVERYWHERE that it's great for repairing your muscles after a work out.

To the OP - You might want to cut down on your 100 calorie packs as those have a lot of fake sugar in them that could be hindering your weight loss. Which macro nutrients do you track in your diary? Another one to watch would be sodium. Sugar can be set up to 40g per day but this is for added sugar so don't get discouraged if you go over because of fruit. Sodium can be 2300-2500mg ... too much excess sodium causes your body to retain water so this could also be the cause of your "gain" and inability to lose recently. Third, you just started. You probably got rid of some water weight starting off and now you just need to tweak some stuff and allow your body to adjust to it before it's going to shed the other weight. Give it time, hon!

Yea, I certainly think it depends on how much strength training you do ,etc. But I do know that at that weight it is not typically necessary and in my experience as soon as I 'quit the habit" I saw better scale results immediately. I now also have protein at every meal, which is enough to fulfill my daily requirements.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    That is the idea, your body needs to function properly and for that you should have enough fuel. MFP calculates your calories you need for breathing, circulation, digestion and so on as about 2200 to 3000 depending on starting weight, age and fitnes level. So if you want to lose 2 pounds a week it takes away 500 calories a day for each pound so it would be anywhere from 1200 calories to 2000. Now if you also exercise for 60 min every day and burn lets say another 500 calories you are down to 700 net calories which is way to little. Your body thinks there is a famine and he has to hold on to every morsel it can get, so it is even harder to lose the weight. Why not try it and eat your exercise calories too at least for a while and see if that helps?
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options

That is the most debated topic on these forums. I think if you are stuck where you are at you should give it a try.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

If you havn't come across the above thread yet you might not have seen this one either:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again