Crap... I can't believe this.

Options
I just bought a new bike and since my lazy *kitten* hasn't really got off the couch in the last two years of my life due to college and pregnancy... I just recently learned that my cardio endurance sucks and it never used to be like this. I'm going to keep going out and try to build it up again... but it sure is frustrating and made me just want to give up on my weight loss progress.

Any advice? :cry:

Replies

• DETERMINED2Drop
    DETERMINED2Drop Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I just bought a new bike and since my lazy *kitten* hasn't really got off the couch in the last two years of my life due to college and pregnancy... I just recently learned that my cardio endurance sucks and it never used to be like this. I'm going to keep going out and try to build it up again... but it sure is frustrating and made me just want to give up on my weight loss progress.

Any advice? :cry:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The only thing that'll improve your CV endurance is just to keep up with it...plan your CV activity throughout the week and add a few minutes every day. It's better to think about the progress you're going to make rather than the conditioning you've lost. :smile: Before you know it, you'll be logging the miles like nobody's business! Back in Dec. I could only run for about 20 minutes and it was a battle the whole way, and now I can do 60 minutes comfortably. And when it comes to weight loss, all you need is a deficit, and you don't need to rely solely on endurance cardio for that...resistance training and shorter bouts of high-intensity cardio burn calories very effectively as well. You can attack the fat from any angle! :bigsmile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Join our biker challenge--it's proving to be inspiration for all of us!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/16094-calling-all-bikers-biker-challenge
  • hellonurse1983
    Options
    hey
    i know exactly how you feel
    about a year ago i bought a bike too and was really put off by how horrible i felt even getting on the thing, but i just did what i could each day and pushed myself a little bit further and in no time at all i was biking 20-30 km in a day

it really just gets easier and easier as you go!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Hellonurse,

I see you're in Alberta? I love Alberta! We drove through Jasper a few years back--a long dream of mine--and the park there. It is without a doubt the most beautiful place on earth! The Canadian Rockies were just absolutely breathtaking and awe-inspiring! You are so lucky to live there!

And you're right, bike riding does get easier! I don't feel "good" unless I do at least 15 miles now and average about 20 miles a day. My first ride back in April I couldn't even do 5 miles!
  • turtle
    turtle Posts: 49
    Options
    It really is hard getting started again but I've found it best for long-term weight loss to work out in a manner in which you enjoy. I really love pilates ,yoga, and power walking. Just try to enjoy it as much as possible or you'll probably go back to your old ways! Good luck!
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    I started in March with 2 miles. Huffin and puffing and hurting.
    Now I am at 30. Still puffing:wink:

Increase your distrance or time every week by 10%. take a break after 3 weeks where you don't bike and do other "training". You'll be suprised how fast your milage increases.