Critique my eating - Quesiton about cellmass

Options
Hello.

I have my journal open. I have started taking cellmass to build muscle mass and assist with my weight lifting.

I haven't lost any weight this week. But I have been reading that cellmass contributes to water retention. I know my carbs are a little high... the pasta and potatoes are almost all gone, and will not be refilled once they are out of the house.

Please offer any advice you can.

I am looking to lose more fat than weight.

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Sodium also causes water retention.
  • wulfsburg
    wulfsburg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was afraid of that.

Looking at my sodium intake, it has been way high.

That has to do with all of those perogis and potatos.

I also had that tyson brand pre cooked chicken, man that stuff is loaded with it! I only got it because it was on sale....
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I don't see any problems in your diary. You're generally hitting your protein and fats as a minimum which is good. You're getting the majority of your calories from whole foods like fruits, veggies, eggs, nuts, meats, etc You don't have your stats listed but overall it looks decent. If you're looking to lose fat you will be in a caloric deficit (which it appears you are) so I wouldn't sweat the muscle mass increases, you won't be building any. I'm not sure what's in cellmass, is it creatine or bcaas or something? Neither is really going to hurt I suppose but I doubt it will do a whole lot for you.

If you're concerned about not losing weight this week, don't be. Weight loss isn't linear. Some weeks you lose, some you don't, sometimes you even gain. You mentioned your carbs are high this week which will result in higher water retention anyway so I REALLY wouldn't sweat it.

Keep doing what you're doing, keep up your lifting program and a moderate caloric deficit and you will really appreciate the results. You only have 21lbs to go so I would suggest .5lb/week to 1lb/week loss.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Trying to build muscle and lose weight requires a very fine balance. So much so, that mst people will tell you it cant be done. Unless you are a short guy, 1700 is way to low to achieve both.

Taking a supplement meant to build you up while in a significant deficit is just going to lead to frustration.
  • wulfsburg
    wulfsburg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cellmass is creatine. Not sure what kind, but it is creatine. Its cellmass 2.0 all the technical terms for the creatine

I know its more complicated than just calories in and calories out., but I know I am burning calories when I lift. MFP doesn't calculate that at all.

I am not really trying to gain a lot. I am more looking to maintain. More maintain while changing body composition, like losing the flab.

I am not too discouraged with not losing any weight this week. I hope I lose a pound by next Friday though. :-)
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    i wouldnt worry about not losing if you just started the creatine. Creatine will make you hold quite a bit of water.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Cellmass is creatine. Not sure what kind, but it is creatine. Its cellmass 2.0 all the technical terms for the creatine

I know its more complicated than just calories in and calories out., but I know I am burning calories when I lift. MFP doesn't calculate that at all.

I am not really trying to gain a lot. I am more looking to maintain. More maintain while changing body composition, like losing the flab.

I am not too discouraged with not losing any weight this week. I hope I lose a pound by next Friday though. :-)

Good, you'll be fine if you keep up that attitude. FYI, log strength training under cardio (just search for "strength") and you'll get your caloric credit there. Gotta eat to keep that progress going in the gym :)
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    You can't build muscle and lose weight. One requires a calorie surplus and the other a calorie deficit. You may think you are gaining mass but it's probably just appearing that way because of the fat being lost.
  • dstromley1
    Options
    You can't build muscle and lose weight. One requires a calorie surplus and the other a calorie deficit. You may think you are gaining mass but it's probably just appearing that way because of the fat being lost.

Its hard but its possible, I dont ever bulk because i cant stand losing my abs and i went from 170 to 205 while stayin under 10% bf.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Its hard but its possible, I dont ever bulk because i cant stand losing my abs and i went from 170 to 205 while stayin under 10% bf.

If you went from 170 to 205 you bulked by definition. You do not increase weight (non fluid) without a surplus of energy, because you can't.
  • dstromley1
    Options

If you went from 170 to 205 you bulked by definition. You do not increase weight (non fluid) without a surplus of energy, because you can't.
    [/quote
    ] by definition yes but if my bodyfat stayed low and i gained muscle i dont really consider that a bulk. my definition of bulk is guys who get up in the 20% bf range in order to gain mass.