Pregnant wife and exercise

Cr01502
Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
Hey everyone

My wife's six months pregnant and she's startiing to get round in the belly. I've been really interested in the "functional" approach to training and was wondering what kind of exercises I could have her do?

I was thinking about an overhead barbell press on a stability ball?

Any other suggestions?

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    I really can't express how disappointed I am with you. You told me that you two were divorced, that's the only reason I sent those photos.
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    As long as this doesn't get in the way of our arrangement.......
  • Cr01502
    As long as this doesn't get in the way of our arrangement.......

1CG has been dissapointed in me for a while. The arrangements still on.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    As long as you're spotting her from behind it's all good. I've had 4 kids, I'm practically an expert on what's appropriate and good form and all.
  • Cr01502
    As long as you're spotting her from behind it's all good. I've had 4 kids, I'm practically an expert on what's appropriate and good form and all.

Something tells me that if you're an expert on what's appropriate we're all in trouble. :tongue:
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member

Something tells me that if you're an expert on what's appropriate we're all in trouble. :tongue:

Every expert has to go through SOME trial and errors. Don't worry, we got the kinks all worked out now.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    My favorite weight lifting site is stumptuous.com. I like the way she writes and she addresses everything from a female perspective. Of course, she has a good section on training while pregnant as well as after. I'm wildly infertile so I can't comment on the content. I just know it is there.

http://www.stumptuous.com/category/women_stuff/pregnancy_postpartum
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    This was me with my daughter :wink:

pregnant+weight+lifting.jpg

Actually a great article too (http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2011/11/benefits-of-weightlifting-during.html)
  • Cr01502
    This was me with my daughter :wink:

pregnant+weight+lifting.jpg

Wow! Thank you. THis is just the kind of motivation she needs.

See that's what I'm going for with my wife.

But . . .I'm thinking maybe . . . stick her on a trampoline or something to work on her balance and engage her core.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    i need to see a pic of your wife to know if she's a 10/10 ONS ......would bang...

otherwise YES

(hope this helps)
  • Cr01502
    i need to see a pic of your wife to know if she's a 10/10 ONS ......would bang...

otherwise YES

(hope this helps)

Very helpful!

Thank you! Unfortunately the old "ball and chain" is a little shy at the moment because of the weight she's put on.

Which is one of the reasons that i wanted to get her on a great routine pronto!
  • NewMilf08
    NewMilf08 Posts: 10
    When i was preggo i wasnt comfortable engaging my core muscles. Also out of fear of hurting my son. I worked more on maintaining good arm strength and leg muscles, also your dr says not to lift more than 20 lbs while preggers, So my hopes that that lady lifting above would be that was her regular workout before becoming preggers!
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    A good vinyasa yoga routine, (these two are my favorites for prenatal use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWg1W6IELtQ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44fYnoSLL3c) will really help her core without adding too much resistance or unnatural movement. Within a half hour routine, you do about 15 planks, 30 pushups and a couple dozen forward folds/half-lifts, which work on the upper abs and lower back much like deadlifts and good mornings. It has done WONDERS for me with this pregnancy.

Being 7 months pregnant myself, I have tried to stay with the three prongs of fitness this time: cardio (biking 3-4xweek,) flexibility (yoga at home 2xweek,) and strength 2xweek (lat pull downs, seated rows, tricep dips and inclined benches for upper body and leg presses, leg curls and standing leg lifts for lower body,). Before I got pregnant, I was doing much more strength but I decided that heart health and just *maintaining* my muscle was my goal instead of trying to have gains during the pregnancy.

Hope all goes well for you both in the next few months and congrats!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    When I was in great shape (getting there again) while pregnant. I worked out hard just like I wasn't.

The only difference for me was with a history of miscarriage (I've had 3, 2 before our son and 1 after), he wanted me to drop all my weights to 35lbs and under. I hated cutting that far back, but he was worth it. :heart:

I still worked by abs, just only my side abs though. It helped me push. :bigsmile:
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Your wife should not begin a strength training program while pregnant if she didn't lift prior to being pregnant, at least that is how I understand it. She really should speak with her doctor before starting any exercise that is new to her.