T.O.M. question- Guys you have been warned.

Options
JosieRawr
JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
Oh man... I'm carb craving big time... I gotta get some protein in... I should not have danishes in the house at this time if I don't plan on eating them all...

Ladies did your carb craving go up during t.o.m. when you started getting more active or is it that I'm just noticing it now that I'm not freely shoveling what ever I see into my mouth?

Side question- what should you NOT have in your house around this time?
Mine is
Danishes
Ice cream
Chocolate candy
and just straight up pasta...

Replies

• crayztrayz
    crayztrayz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Same for me every day that ends with y.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I crave sweet and salty when the Red Tide comes in. But I continue to workout and will allow some treats so I don't go crazy and become a two-headed mega*****.
  • CCarcharias
    Options
    Guess I'm lucky, I've never had cravings that time of the month. Just like when I was pregnant, only craving I had was apples-doctor said it was a great craving to have while pregnant!
    But I don't keep ANY THING in my house that isn't on my diet. My husband and son are sharing my healthy lifestyle. If we ever do feel the need to splurge on a sweet treat, we go to the bakery, buy one thing and eat it there. I just don't see the point of keeping "bad food" in the house and setting myself up for failure.
  • JosieRawr
    Options
    I'm usually pretty good about my guy having what ever junk he wants in the house n I keep my moderation n don't have an issue, but right now... I REALLY want to eat all the danishes... I had a half... not satisfying... yesterday I had 1 n 1/2 n delish pancakes... mmm
    I'm staying under my goal but I'm really having to restrain myself which I don't normally HAVE to do. : / So I was just curious if it's because I'm using more carbs now or I'm just noticing since I don't have free access to them. lol
  • JosieRawr
    Options
    I crave sweet and salty when the Red Tide comes in. But I continue to workout and will allow some treats so I don't go crazy and become a two-headed mega*****.

yeah I'm just staying under maintenance this week... this is my first TOM after I quit smoking, I'm not tempting the devil to come out lol...
  • The1iceQueen
    Options
    I make myself snacks just for sweet craving times. I make low carb peanut butter cups/brownies/cheesecake. I always have carbquik/stevia/cream cheese/chocolate peanut butter protein power/heavy whipping cream on hand hehe.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i crave 'un-nutrition' but i think it's mostly comfort food so i usually just drink a pile of cold herbal tea and make a snack plate that feels worse than it tasts - raw veggies with hummus and some cheese and crackers or something. I also eat smaller meals during TOM coz my stomach hurts so i try and spread out calories more
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Oh hell yea! I just try to have carbs with proteins to balance my blood sugar, so I'm not craving carbs all the time (ie greek yogurt with cereal). Although, I do indulge with a little Green & Blacks Mint Dark Chocolate. I just try and limit myself to 3-6 squares. :-p
  • Tamtamz76
    Tamtamz76 Posts: 23
    Options
    You are not alone!

I'm 36, so I'll say these outrageous carb craving started kicking in with the birth of my last child when I was 31. I too noticed my carb cravings when I tried to change my diet. I can say that some months are worse than others, and B vitamins, magnesium and chromium do help....a bit.

Like you, junk that's in the house doesn't bother me in the least until the second week of the month, then it's on like Donkey Kong. My appetite is ferocious. I'm a former smoker myself, but I quit 7 years ago. It seems like the older I get, the worse it gets. I think I'm teetering on the edge of PMDD rather than PMS.

In my experience it lasts for a few days, and it all evens out in the end (as long as you're not eating 5K worth of calories for those few days!) My appetite isn't like that for the rest of the month.
  • JosieRawr
    Options
    You are not alone!

I'm 36, so I'll say these outrageous carb craving started kicking in with the birth of my last child when I was 31. I too noticed my carb cravings when I tried to change my diet. I can say that some months are worse than others, and B vitamins, magnesium and chromium do help....a bit.

Like you, junk that's in the house doesn't bother me in the least until the second week of the month, then it's on like Donkey Kong. My appetite is ferocious. I'm a former smoker myself, but I quit 7 years ago. It seems like the older I get, the worse it gets. I think I'm teetering on the edge of PMDD rather than PMS.

In my experience it lasts for a few days, and it all evens out in the end (as long as you're not eating 5K worth of calories for those few days!) My appetite isn't like that for the rest of the month.

Thanks, I don't really binge, just like today- you can see what i've eaten... breakfast started out good, then the danish(1/2) the an hour later the other half... *d'oh* I don't want to eat anything now... even my protein shake doesn't sound good to me... nothing does except that delicious blueberry danish that I know is on the fridge... *smh* crazy that I'm hungry but I'm going to have to force myself to eat... ffs...
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I don't have that issue.. I don't really the monthly visit anymore.. BS is a wonderful thing sometimes. I highly recommend it. lol

I was always hungrier and wanted chocolate before tho..

ETA; You eat good and healthy most of the time right?? So why is eating one danish such a big deal? Do you have the willpower to stop with one? Eat it slow. If you deprive yourself what you want you'll just eat two tomorrow.
  • JosieRawr
    Options
    I don't have that issue.. I don't really the monthly visit anymore.. BS is a wonderful thing sometimes. I highly recommend it. lol

I was always hungrier and wanted chocolate before tho..

ETA; You eat good and healthy most of the time right?? So why is eating one danish such a big deal? Do you have the willpower to stop with one? Eat it slow. If you deprive yourself what you want you'll just eat two tomorrow.

oh no, I'm not big on restriction or deprivation. The problem isn't the one that I ate today. I also ate 1.5 yesterday and I would be happy to eat the other 5.. lol. It's just new to me so I was wondering if other women noticed increased cravings around that t.o.m. when they increased their activity. :)
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. But also, we burn more calories at that time. Not sure if it's 5 donuts worth, but you know, stuff's happening.

I just eat what the hell I want the day before & day 1, at least.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    It's the TOM for me right now too. I pay more attention to having a variety of things in my diet. I never keep anything in my house that I don't intend to eat. I always keep Weight Watcher and Skinny Cow ice cream treats stocked. For 100-150 calories, I can indulge without overdoing it. I have sweet cravings at night. I'm not a carb watcher. I pay more attention to cholesterol and calories. Carbs give you energy, and let's face it...that TOM makes us need more energy. I keep up with my vitamins. I take Vit. D 2,000 mg, a B-Complex, and another B12 (2,000 mg), along with a multivitamin and a host of other stuff. Just worked out for an hour, and I feel great.

Though, ever since increasing my exercise, I've noticed a heavier flow. It's annoying, but I just make sure to get plenty of iron during this time.
  • Chrissy180
    Chrissy180 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just sprinkle some sensa all over it and go to town :)~
  • Tamtamz76
    Tamtamz76 Posts: 23
    Options

Thanks, I don't really binge, just like today- you can see what i've eaten... breakfast started out good, then the danish(1/2) the an hour later the other half... *d'oh* I don't want to eat anything now... even my protein shake doesn't sound good to me... nothing does except that delicious blueberry danish that I know is on the fridge... *smh* crazy that I'm hungry but I'm going to have to force myself to eat... ffs...

Sounds like you have it work out then? I'm not really certain what you're seeking advice for...