DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE.....

Options
Hey,

When i started down this path I did all the right things. I weighed myself, I took the measurements that was recommended, waist, hips and neck? (not sure why the neck)

Anyway, back to when I started. What got me started? I bought a pair of jeans that were meant to be the size I was wearing, i couldn't get them over my thighs. I was close to tears. That was it, I was doing MFP and doing it right, (ish)

Fast forward 6 months. I'm now in those jeans and they are loose.....

This is my regret. I should have measured my thighs instead of my bloody neck!! I know I've lost a couple of inches off my waist and the same off my *kitten*. But, I must have lost some inches of my thighs or else I wouldn't have been able to get the jeans up. I don't see a difference, I still have legs like a bloody rugby player. :drinker:

So I recommend measure everything. Thighs, calves, upper arm, bust, waist, hips and sure, your neck. Before you start!!

Good luck to all.

Replies

• sara1077
    sara1077 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I hear you! Mine is more the pictures. I've only lost 11lbs but my clothes are fitting soooo much better. I can wear a lot of my Size 10s again. I wish I had pictures to compare. Plus, I want to post BEFORE and AFTER pics on the motivation board when I get 1/2 to my goal and, of course, at my goal.

How much wt did you lose in the 6 months to get into your jeans?
  • barbiesnd
    barbiesnd Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    How much wt did you lose in the 6 months to get into your jeans?

Probably around the 20lbs mark.....

When I started I could no longer fit into my size 16 jeans. I was probably a size 18 but I couldn't bring myself to go up yet another size (I'd been a 24+ battled my way down to a 12 I wasn't going back up again) The jeans I had bought were marked up as 16 but they're the same size as my 14's which are now a bit loose. I'm pissed that they were marked up wrong but it was the kick in the *kitten* that I needed!!
  • Cherie0622
    Cherie0622 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I hear you! Mine is more the pictures. I've only lost 11lbs but my clothes are fitting soooo much better. I can wear a lot of my Size 10s again. I wish I had pictures to compare. Plus, I want to post BEFORE and AFTER pics on the motivation board when I get 1/2 to my goal and, of course, at my goal.

I read this and ran straight for the camera. I've already lost 9 lbs but I'm a BIG girl so I have a lot more to go. I did measure my arms, thighs, and what-not but it made me feel a little weird. My right arm was half an inch bigger than my left one AND there was a 1.5" difference in my thighs. I feel so unproportionate :ohwell: But I know I will look back in 6 months and be glad I documented well :smile:
  • MsCristie
    MsCristie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I wasn't even sure of my weight when I started. So I guessed and lost weight and then weighed myself and was shocked! I so wish I had measured everything too! I am once again having to get rid of most of my clothes- I need all new clothes! TIme to go shopping!
  • patsueglenn
    Options
    Thanks for the advise about measuring. I just started yesterday and have lost .8 lbs..almost 1 lb. I celebrate the really small things too. Also, thanks for the encouragment. Reading all of your posts and seeing how much weight you have lost is great!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Take measurements of any area that you want to see a change in. It's cool to see the numbers drop, especially on the weeks when the scale doesn't move.
  • mcva929
    mcva929 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I know the neck seems silly, but 1. you can measure weight loss there and 2. neck measurements are often used in basic body fat calculations. That being said, I measure between 9 and 11 different sites on my body on the first of each month, along with pictures. I weigh everyday because it seems to work best for me, personally. I'm a huge fan of seeing how my arms, hips, or thighs have come down an inch when my weight has only budged a pound. And pictures pictures pictures! They can be your best friend and worst enemy (but in the end best friend). Keep up your hard work!
  • rtrcarrie
    rtrcarrie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS celebrate your accomplishments, big, small, or medeoker. You deserve to credit yourself every step of the way !
  • bethanykf
    bethanykf Posts: 68
    Options
    Measurements kept me going past the first month. I didn't have a huge loss in the first month, but I lost nearly 10 inches from my body. I definitely agree - take all the measurements you can!
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options

I read this and ran straight for the camera. I've already lost 9 lbs but I'm a BIG girl so I have a lot more to go. I did measure my arms, thighs, and what-not but it made me feel a little weird. My right arm was half an inch bigger than my left one AND there was a 1.5" difference in my thighs. I feel so unproportionate :ohwell: But I know I will look back in 6 months and be glad I documented well :smile:

If you are right handed, the difference in right arm vs. left is not unusual. Most people have a foot dominance as well. It is the foot that you typically would step up with--particularly if you had to step up onto a high step--also the foot that you would prefer to use to kick a ball. So, leg size difference is not unusual either.