need help with numbers

jsjp
jsjp Posts: 51 Member
Mfp said i should be at 1200 calories a day. I am 38,female, and burn about 250 calories a day on treadmill and do some light weight training. I am 5'5" and weigh about 154. I have lost 5 pounds so far. My question is it seems like 1200 is low but i do add the 250 from exercise to make it 1450, right? Most days i am under by about 100 calories but somedays over. Am i doing harm by being under by 100 or is that close enough to my daily caloric needs? I am new to this so i am just trying to get a better understanding-

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? Try this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

ETA: Yes you should eat back your exercise calories, but also make sure that 1200 is an appropriate goal for you. It's too low for many people.
  • jsjp
    jsjp Posts: 51 Member
    I will do the link you offered:-)
  • catinohio
    catinohio Posts: 82 Member
    I'm not sure how totally accurate it is, but I find the "complete day's entry" feature to be very helpful -- it states something like, "If you eat like this every day for 5 weeks, you would weigh _____ lbs."
    (My daily calorie goal is 1350 before adding exercise calories)
    It encourages me when I have 'good' days, reassures me on those days when I go a little over, and gives me a major 'wake-up' on days I'm too much over (usually a result of dining out).
  • gbss2
    gbss2 Posts: 1
    I have a similar question. If I bank the majority of my exercise calories, will I lose weight faster? Or do I run the risk of slowing my metabolic rate? The so called famine response? I am sticking to the 1200 calories and doing 60 minutes of fast walking every day, then ending each day with about 300 remaining. What am I aiming my "net" number to be, higher or lower than my 1200? New to this so not 100% up on it yet. Thanks in advance for advice.
  • Robino01
    Robino01 Posts: 3 Member
    I am working with the same numbers for daily calorie intake also. My exercise is also weight training and treadmill, with running and walking. Yes, add in your calories to your total. Being under a 100 calories is fine too. I think they give us a good goal each day and it is like a stop sign for us. Thinking about the food we take in, giving regard to the potential calories the foods have. Feels good to be in control with eating and wanting to exercise most days. I am about 5'3 and now about 135. I try to work out at least 3-5 days a week, have a cheat day on Saturday, and resume watching what I eat the rest of the week. By the way, I love watching the Biggest Loser. Great inspiration!! Good luck on your weight loss/health conscious new you!