Running?

Options
Is running good to lose weight/fat. I read in articles that when you run, you are actually burning off your muscle. Is this true?

Replies

• OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I know someone that all she did was train for a half marathon and she dropped 20lbs.

Not my way of doing it, I'd rather lift as well as run to firm everything up but it helped her lose.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Is running good to lose weight/fat. I read in articles that when you run, you are actually burning off your muscle. Is this true?

I guess if you haven't eaten....

Of course running is good to lose weight. But I suggest you figure out what your burn is and keep your net calorie intake at a healthy level for you.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You lose muscle regardless of what you do to lose weight. If you like running then do it. If you want to minimise muscle loss then keep and eye on your macros and add in strength training.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    You lose muscle regardless of what you do to lose weight. If you like running then do it. If you want to minimise muscle loss then keep and eye on your macros and add in strength training.

Pretty much this exactly. I do a bit of running and it's not sucking the muscle off of me. I still weigh 205 - 210 and I'm not a stick figure. Like she said just keep up with things like your protein intake and do some strength training to supplement the muscles that running doesn't exercise.

Running does suck out a large amount of calories so in that way it is great for weight loss but really all that matters is a calorie deficit. Running just makes it easier to have that deficit.
  • FCVFCVFCV
    FCVFCVFCV Posts: 12
    Options
    Running is HUGE! What I find works best is a combo of speed, and then slow. Let me explain by giving you my staple workout.
    5times a week...
    60 min slow jog.
    10 sprints.
    2 long rounds (rounds are running north of 85% of your max for 1 min, then a slow jog to recover for 1 min. However since I've been doing it for a while I changed the length of intensity-3mins-and dropped the recovery time to 30 seconds, so now for me 1 long run is 3 minutes long, then 30 seconds of slow run, then repeat 3 mins again-total of 7 mins)

10 sprints takes me about 8-9 minutes. On my best days Ive been able to get it down to 7 mins.

So the key is speed and intensity! I do the long slow jog to build endurance and to burn more calories.
    Also, I would like to point out the bodies of sprinters compared to long distance runners. Sprinters are muscular and ripped. Long distance runners are thin but IMO their bodies dont look at all that great compared to sprinters.

All that said, I know everyone responds to stimulus differently. Still, it has worked for me!!!
    I truly believe that if you do the routine above alone you will get in VERY good shape.
    So is running good? Running is flippin' amazing! And Im not a guy that likes running...well now I do, I like the runners high, it clears my head now, and of course getting the results from all that hard work does make an astounding difference in how my body looks. And I firmly believe it will help you achieve your goals much quicker.

If you do nothing else, just run, run everywhere, run far, run hard.

Keep it Forrest Gump baby, keep it Forrest Gump!
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I did nothing but run and I'm pretty skinny fat.

If I could go back in time I would have done more strength training. Oh well new challenge for me now :D
  • KatjaO
    KatjaO Posts: 71
    Options

No, because all runners are really fat??

Seriously, Running is cardio, which is wonderful to burn off calories and general health. Strenght training is also important.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options

Listen to her. She must know what she's doing. Look at her before/afters. Amazing - you are clearly one who can be aspired to.