What's the best workout DVD for beginners?

Options
I am trying to find a good workout program to start that won't kill me! Can anyone suggest a good beginning level workout DVD program?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love slim in 6 so far! I'm 4 weeks in.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Buy a piece of equipment that looks fun to use and follow the DVD that comes with it. That would be my suggestion. Ultimate Sandbag, Suspension Training, Kettlebells, anything!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    walk fit, they sell them at walmart
  • cindypalm1
    Options
    Leslie Sansone has some good ones and they can grow with you as you can start with just 1 mile if you want and build up to 5.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Walk Away the Pounds with Leslie Sansone.

Any zumba. They're fun!
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I started using Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home DVDs. They are a lot of fun. Nice, peppy music to keep you going, and Leslie is very encouraging. You basically just walk in place. I got mine at Walmart.
  • p1ppers
    p1ppers Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love the Leslie Sansone's walking dvd's, I have several and started out walking 1 mile a day and now do 6-8 miles a day easy. They are around $10. at Target, Walmart, and several other places and they are easy to walk to if you are a beginner and just do a 15 minute section or the whole hour long 5 mile menu. You can go to the website and she usually has a 1 mile video you can play to see what her dvd's are like. Good luck.
  • cindypalm1
    Options
    you can find Leslie Sansone on youtube too to see if you would like along with alot of others.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with Leslie Sansone! Great workouts for a beginner, easy to follow.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone "Walk Away the Pounds." Very low impact, you can do it at home in a small space and you can do it for 1, 2, 3, or more "miles" of marching, kicks, knee ups, and side-to-side movements paired with arm movements. She's made a TON of them for use with weights, stretchy bands or no equipment. The DVD called "Walk at Home 5-Day Slim Down A Mile Each Morning" that targets a different body part each day is one of my favorites. Each is about 15 minutes with an additional 5 or so minutes for Warm Up & Cool Down. You can do one or several based on your time and fitness level. I like this one since she is doing it alone on the DVD--many of her other DVDs includes a "class" of people and sometimes she can get a bit chatty which can be a bit of a distraction for some and become a bother after you've heard it over, and over, and over again.

I've used her DVDs to help me lose 75 lbs, and although I now go to the gym and can do more strenuous workouts, when I roll out of bed a little too late, or I just don't quite feel up to a heavy-duty workout, I pop in this DVD and "walk" a couple miles to keep my exercise on track.
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Ditto on Leslie Sansone. I just started doing her Belly Blasting 2 Mile Walk (one of her new DVDs) and I really like it!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Anything that doesn't have the word "walk" or "walking" in the title
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Anything that doesn't have the word "walk" or "walking" in the title
    Pretty much.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the one where you go outside and run
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. It's not that hard if you do the modified versions or do as much as you can. You won't get much cardio fitness from the Walk Away the Pounds DVD's unless you are very obese and have been totally sedentary up to this point or you have a health issue that prevents you from doing a real workout.
  • southern_star
    southern_star Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I like the biggest loser power walk
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    whatever you decide, it'll be tough, because it'll be new. so when you find yourself losing your breath and needing to stop for a second, just pause the dvd and get some water. then hit play.

i see a lot of people saying that they could only do 8 minutes or whatever. just pause it and keep going. one day you'll be able to do it in one go.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    whatever you decide, it'll be tough, because it'll be new. so when you find yourself losing your breath and needing to stop for a second, just pause the dvd and get some water. then hit play.

i see a lot of people saying that they could only do 8 minutes or whatever. just pause it and keep going. one day you'll be able to do it in one go.

QFT
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    the one where you go outside and run

I would, but it's hard to run while holding the screen in front of me. Also, my DVD player battery life isn't very good.

:flowerforyou:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Prevention Magazine has some decent full body workouts that are low impact and easy to follow. Look for anything by Chris Freytag. Denise Austin does many low impact beginner workouts as well.

Also, not to sound obnoxious, but why would anyone need a DVD to walk? Just go outside and put one foot in front of the other for a while, then turn around and walk back home. And swing your arms. We learned how to do that as children, so I don't get the popularity of "walking DVDs." Again, not trying to offend anyone, I simply don't understand.