Anyone scared of what they cant count??

Options
I count every calorie if it goes in my mouth it goes in my diary but i go into complete panic mode if theres food that i cant count the calories it got to the point if i cant count it i wont eat it!!! Please tell me im not the only one! I know i shouldnt obsess over it cuz its only 1 meal.... But then it could b 2 ... 3 or etc.. HELP any suggestions on counting the unknown?

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If you can't find the calories to what you are eating then go with the closest thing you can for an estimate. For example, my dad's girlfriend gave me a jar of homemade spicy vegetable relish. I have no clue what the cals are in that so I'd just log it as salsa or relish. If you have been counting calories for a long time and have an idea of what the ingredients are you can usually come up with a good guess, too. Wouldn't want to see you deprive yourself of something you loved just because it didn't have a nutritional label :)
  • mrsgeneric
    mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! Ive been only doing this almost 2 weeks! But i like your answer!
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I count every calorie if it goes in my mouth it goes in my diary but i go into complete panic mode if theres food that i cant count the calories it got to the point if i cant count it i wont eat it!!! Please tell me im not the only one! I know i shouldnt obsess over it cuz its only 1 meal.... But then it could b 2 ... 3 or etc.. HELP any suggestions on counting the unknown?

You are not alone. I have been in this situation myself. Feeling as you stated and doing the same. I just have adjusted my meals the best I can to know all the info. I am a bit OCD on this I suppose, but it makes a difference to me to have all the facts.
  • mrsgeneric
    Options

You are not alone. I have been in this situation myself. Feeling as you stated and doing the same. I just have adjusted my meals the best I can to know all the info. I am a bit OCD on this I suppose, but it makes a difference to me to have all the facts.

Im very ocd on this i think if i cant be acurate im only lying to myself i like to look back and see my progress each week... Im so ocd on it i even log a peice of gum (3 calories) lol
  • JennyLW99
    Options
    I know how you feel, especially when we have dinner at my mom's house and I wasn't there while she was cooking. This problem also keeps me from eating out because there is no way to calculate how many calories I'm getting from the local pizza joint. Ugh! I know you can estimate but there are so many variations when you don't know the specifics.
  • mrsgeneric
    Options
    I know how you feel, especially when we have dinner at my mom's house and I wasn't there while she was cooking. This problem also keeps me from eating out because there is no way to calculate how many calories I'm getting from the local pizza joint. Ugh! I know you can estimate but there are so many variations when you don't know the specifics.

I ordered pizza tonight and if you go on google and type in your pizza place and nutritional value/ calories it gave me each pizza the have with calories per 1 peice u should try it!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I know you can estimate but there are so many variations when you don't know the specifics.

I think part of what you have to consider is how often it happens. I eat out about once a week on average. The rest of the time I'm eating stuff prepared by me from scratch so I know exactly what's in it. So on the times I don't know what I'm eating I just take wild guesses and try to overestimate if possible. For example yesterday I (very greedily) ate 3 big pumpkin scones that someone brought into work (what can I say they were awesome and I haven't had an oven in a decade so I don't get baked stuff very often). I just looked up pumpkin scone in the database and logged 4 since the 3 I ate were big.

Maybe I was off by a hundred calories or so which would be a big problem for a daily event but not worth worrying about when it's a rare occasion.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

me too it's driving the hubby nuts. and i can't wait to log them cause I'm scared of forgetting to do it. it's happened a couple times and resulted in being over my cals. me no likey.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Since you're big on counting, I assume you've weighed foods on your food scale before and are probably skilled at eyeballing how much of everything you're eating without having to necessarily measure it. Put that skill to use at restaurants/ when you can't count exact calories, and you will be just fine. The goal of tracking is to hold you accountable for what you eat and keep you true to your goals, not to force you into obsessing about individual carlories/exact calorie counts. Don't stress...you got this :)
  • mrsgeneric
    Options
    I havent weighed my food on a scale i usually just use measuring cups and can eyeball pretty good