Perhaps a very stupid question....

Options
But is there anyway for me to workout and burn some calories without being on my feet? I went walking today about an hour or two after putting lotion on my feet, and the moisture and heat from the sidewalk created huge, painful blisters on the bottom of my feet. :( So now I can't walk because it hurts so bad.

I don't want this to get in the way of my exercise, so what can I do to get my heart rate up and burn some calories?

Replies

• eleanorrachel
    Options
    Hi there,
    I do my exercise mostly on an exercise bike and I burn about 700-900 calories (depending on how hard i want to work) in an hours, measured on the little monitor on my exercise bike. If you don't have an exercise bike just cycling out and about would also work.
    Hope that helps :)
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis badly in my knees so have to be careful about the impact of a lot of exercise. I have taken up swimming a few times per week (amazing cardio and you don't have sweat dripping in your eyes), and ride my stationary bike a few times per week too.
    I also have a DVD, the original one from the 80's, called "Buns of Steel". The majority of it is floor exercises which are absolutely KILLER. There are a ton of floor exercises, crunches, etc. that you can do for a bit until you heal up, or there is also a huge layer of bandaids which helped me when I did the same thing . . . ha ha.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Oops. I forgot about my exercise bike. Thanks guys for your ideas. (And for reminding me.)
  • gillian_gail
    Options
    Sounds kinda silly but when I mess up my knee (also have osteoarthritis) to the point that I can't do my normal workouts, I do the "Sit And Be Fit" routines that used to be (aren't here at least anymore) on PBS. I think you can find them on YouTube.

--Gillian--
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: yoga and pilates
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you belong to a gym, you can also use the rowing machine. Or go to spin class.
  • supersarah14
    supersarah14 Posts: 170
    Options
    If you can't be on your feet at all...I suggest punching. I know...sounds a little weird, but you can still lift weights and keep your heart rate up by punching the air or bag for a few minutes in between each set.
  • lydaugherty
    Options
    Sounds kinda silly but when I mess up my knee (also have osteoarthritis) to the point that I can't do my normal workouts, I do the "Sit And Be Fit" routines that used to be (aren't here at least anymore) on PBS. I think you can find them on YouTube.

--Gillian--

Yes! It's made to help keep the elderly mobile, keeping in mind their capabilities. (I worked in a nursing home for 2 years!!)
    I've always believed that anybody at any age should do this program if you have you know, a broken leg or any other illness..
    or even if you are feeling under the weather. It's better than nothing!!