Doing this alone kinda bites...

Hey everyone!

I've never posted in the forums before, but I've used (inconsistently) the app for about a year. I've had minimal success but would really like having a support net and even someone to help encourage and motivate.

Keep up the good work everyone! :)

Replies

• skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    The trick is to be consistent and log everything, every day. It is alright to go over sometimes, but at least you know how much you go over when you are logging daily. I also began using this app a year ago but have just started logging everything recently. Good luck.
  • I started logging again a few weeks ago and the first week was rocky. I didn't log everyday or everything and I went over a lot. I've gotten much better and really consider what choices I make.

Thanks.
    :)
  • styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    I always ask myself if what I'm considering eating is "wasted" calories - could I get better value from that spend elsewhere. if the answer is "no" then I go ahead and eat it. In this way I'm keeping the stuff I REALLY love in there and leaving the stuff that I might like but could otherwise do better with out.

I'm pretty friendly and supportive, feel free to add me.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Pick up some dedicated fools (Like me) that are on this every day. Seeing stuff like "XXPirateKilla Did blah blah" or "Finished his diary" really does help to motivate you. Honestly I've had days were I didn't feel like doing a workout but thought "If I don't then my friends will think I'm slacking". It really does make a huge difference to have friends on this site.
  • I'll help support you :) were about the same age. im pretty much doing this by myself as well, only support i get is on here, so better than nothing.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    I'm doing it alone and I think it's easier than fighting with someone about what to eat, what kinds of foods to buy and keep in the house, etc. I like being the captain of my own ship.
  • I always ask myself if what I'm considering eating is "wasted" calories - could I get better value from that spend elsewhere. if the answer is "no" then I go ahead and eat it. In this way I'm keeping the stuff I REALLY love in there and leaving the stuff that I might like but could otherwise do better with out.

I'm pretty friendly and supportive, feel free to add me.

Walking down the candy isle is hell...
    But you're right, it's wasted calories.
  • I'm doing it alone and I think it's easier than fighting with someone about what to eat, what kinds of foods to buy and keep in the house, etc. I like being the captain of my own ship.

Well at home I am not doing it entirely alone. My mother is attempting to eat healthy with me. But she is more flexible about what she eats, and how many calories she consumes in a day and she doesn't motivate to work out like I do. We're at different stages, she and I, and while I appreciate her feedback -- she doesn't really motivate me to not eat the last BonBon or to get up at 6am to work out.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Takes 21 days to make a habit. That should be your goal right now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    well don't try doing it alone. get MFP friends. i was really motivated when I thought i had some good one's and when I realized maybe not, i just added a bunch more and bam, motivated again. so just be open and thats all.
  • Takes 21 days to make a habit. That should be your goal right now.

haha, my goal is to just keep going everyday -- and take it one day at a time. I've fallen off the bandwagon so many times... I just can't do it anymore. Monday will make a little over 2 full weeks of working out, and starting my 2nd week (for the bazillionth time) of Insanity.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Support is definitely needed! I get so much motivation looking at what others are doing and supporting them and seeing their responses back to me. :)
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    Yes it bites. Add friends, it's worth it.
    Feel free to add.
  • styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    The people here are just plain awesome, they really make a difference to your success. I'd never have gotten through this week - not just in terms of calories but also exercise times - if it wasn't for their inspiration and support.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    I was doing this alone for the first 6 months then I finally went in the forums and started adding friends on here. It definitely helps.
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    I'm sending you an invite:flowerforyou: