If you lost your PHONE..............

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
How much does it impact your daily life? Personally for me, it'd just be an inconvenience because I'd have to use a land line to make a call, but I could definitely make it easily without it.
I don't own a "smart phone" and just have a regular flip phone to get messages, texts and calls from family and clients.

So how about you?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I would probably die.
    I wouldnt know what to do.
    I am completely addicted to it.
    Ashamed to admit how much it is attached to me!
    In my defense my clients call me all day on it, so I kind of have to look at it and keep it on me.. for work purposes, of course ;)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I just converted to a smart phone and for me it has been worth the transition so far... I depend on my phone for phone numbers, unfortunately. I know how to use directory assistance but it is far more convenient to have it in memory.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If I lost my phone I would probably crawl up into a little ball uncontrollably sobbing until someone found it and gave it back
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    It would affect me greatly.

I wouldn't be able to check school related information on my Facebook account which gets updated on a daily basis. I wouldn't be able to contact people for when and where to meet. Worse of all I would have nothing to listen to while I'm busing to class/work.
  • jsherrill92
    jsherrill92 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Things would not go well for me at all. I am constantly in contact with people either through calling or texting. I've been without a phone for two days before and it felt like an eternity!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I back mine up regularly, so I would just go buy a new one. Not too devastating.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Another question:

If you go out to eat with family/SO/friend, do you mute the phone, or do you constantly text, check it, play on it?

Me, I bring the phone, but it stays in my pocket the whole time till we're done eating.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    I would cry...uncontrollably!
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    On mute not in sight. And I don't check it unless we are waiting on someone who might text. Why go out with the person you are with if you'd rather be texting someone else or reading random tweets? Makes no sense.
  • hadlam83
    hadlam83 Posts: 140
    Options
    I lost mine last weekend. Has been a tough week without felt like i'd lost an aer. but i'm kinda getting used to it now, and its quite peaceful :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    On mute not in sight. And I don't check it unless we are waiting on someone who might text. Why go out with the person you are with if you'd rather be texting someone else or reading random tweets? Makes no sense.
    But do you see it happen a lot in restaurants these days? Especially with families? Every time I go out to eat (which is about 4 times a week), 3 out of 5 tables with more than one person will be on their phones and not talking to the other(s) who they are eating with.
    Don't get it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Another question:

If you go out to eat with family/SO/friend, do you mute the phone, or do you constantly text, check it, play on it?

Me, I bring the phone, but it stays in my pocket the whole time till we're done eating.

IDEA Fitness member

i do the same thing.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    A lot.

I have no land-line. So I'd have no convenient way to contact people, just email or Facebook. And that's not too great.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    it's no big deal to me .. I occasionally walk out the door and leave my phone behind. The only concern I have now without it is if there was an emergency (vehicle accident/breakdown/unknown)

Other than that .. let's face it .. the world around me has a phone in their pocket. Pay phones are harder to come buy .. even at gas stations .. I would have to find a business that would let me use a phone. Even call boxes along the highways have diminished in number.

I leave my phone in the car when I go into meetings or church. I silence it for doctors appts and meals out with friends. My son is grown now ... anything that might happen can wait the hour or so until I'm done.

I get annoyed when I see people walking with their noses down in their phones .. not paying attention to their surroundings .. missing the beautiful sights there might be along a beautiful drive .. or flat out walking into me or my car that's just sitting there, not moving!

People don't even know how to make eye contact when they speak or address you anymore. I'm not even that old! I grew up in a household that didn't have an answering machine .. there weren't cordless phones either.. heck .. cable wasn't even invented yet and neither was the microwave .. :laugh:

I have a land-line - wired phone.. if the power goes out.. the phone would still work .. if it was cordless or cellular.. I'd be at the mercy of my cell's battery life .. and the cordless would be useless period.. a landline also sends the address of your home out when dialing 911 .. sometimes .. you just don't have time to spit out the address .. or a child may not know how house or street number ..
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I lose and find mine all the time. It's whatever to me. My daddy told me once..."do you own your possessions, or do your posessions own you?" never forgot that.
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    When we go on vacation we unplug, no phones no email, nothing. I LOVE IT.
    I would go insane if I had to go to work without my phone. My link to sane people, because I work in a room full of lunacy.
    When I go out to eat, unless we are expecting someone else, or need to look something up I keep my phone in my purse on vibrate. It's so rude to me, when someone sits there with their phone stuck in their face when I am with them.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    it's no big deal to me .. I occasionally walk out the door and leave my phone behind. The only concern I have now without it is if there was an emergency (vehicle accident/breakdown/unknown)

Other than that .. let's face it .. the world around me has a phone in their pocket. Pay phones are harder to come buy .. even at gas stations .. I would have to find a business that would let me use a phone. Even call boxes along the highways have diminished in number.

I leave my phone in the car when I go into meetings or church. I silence it for doctors appts and meals out with friends. My son is grown now ... anything that might happen can wait the hour or so until I'm done.

I get annoyed when I see people walking with their noses down in their phones .. not paying attention to their surroundings .. missing the beautiful sights there might be along a beautiful drive .. or flat out walking into me or my car that's just sitting there, not moving!

People don't even know how to make eye contact when they speak or address you anymore. I'm not even that old! I grew up in a household that didn't have an answering machine .. there weren't cordless phones either.. heck .. cable wasn't even invented yet and neither was the microwave .. :laugh:
    I'm all for technology (I'm a science geek), but I'm also for MODERATION (whether it comes to eating, video games, phone use, etc.) and lots of people today overuse their phone, just like so many over eat who are really overweight, IMO.
    I've already witnessed a couple of serious arguments over phone over usage and affecting billing.

IDEA Fitness member
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    You don't need to look any further than distracted driving. Where 23% of crashes in 2011 were a result of phone usage.

It's obvious it's becoming a social norm to be on it the entire time.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I have just a basic phone, but I would be so lost without it! All the important numbers and stuff, I'd be pretty screwed.

If I'm out with someone I'm not going to be playing/texting on my phone, I'm not really doing that anyway (it's not a great phone) I'll take a call though, unless we were out for a meal or something like that.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I hate texting and rarely use my cell phone, although I do have a smart phone. However, if I lost my phone it would impact me greatly because I have a lot of embarrassing voice clips of me practicing karaoke songs on there. Nobody needs to hear that.