? for those who need to lose 85 lbs +

Options
2»

Replies

• littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I think if I weighed over 500 pounds, I MIGHT consider it, but where I don't, I think I am very capable of doing it on my own. I fear surgery, and I think I CAN eat 1600 calories a day and lose weight. My problem is with portion control (even when I am not hungry), and I would probably go nuts with the amount you get with gastric bypass. I would rather it take a bit longer, and get the nutrition I need from food.
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. I know people who have done it, and they either gained it all back plus some or got really sick after for years. I also know people who have done the lap band and will eat so fast it makes them puke, and they didn't keep any weight off.
    I would never judge someone for doing either, I am sure there are plenty of success stories out there.
  • dgljones
    dgljones Posts: 89
    Options
    Not in a million years. Lost 136lbs through diet and exercise despite some serious health issues.
    I am not going to pass judgment on anyone, but for me there is no reward in some quick fix with all the dangers of surgery and the many issues that you will live with for the rest of your life.
    I celebrate every pound I lost and this journey has been one of the most important things I have ever done in my life, it made me a much better person and taught me so much about myself and how I tick.
  • mamamarock
    mamamarock Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have considered it even with the out of pocket costs, but I have always hesitated for the same reasons I have for anything else really invasive and foreign to my body. I have heard a few negative effects as there always are to the lapband. My aunt has had gastric bypass and she looks great, but if you ask her if she would do it again, and she says hell no. I have another aunt, I'm hispanic, huge family... who has had great success with gastric bypass and loves her new body. I have a daughter and I will not risk my health anymore than I have to for something I can do the old fashioned way. Another concern of mine is excess skin. I have looked at thousand of before and after photos and the excess skin literally haunts me in my sleep. The surgery to fix it is in the tens of thousands price range, and then recovery is always -_-. YOU can lose weight with healthy eating and exercise. You SHOULD do it that way so it becomes a lifestyle change and not a quick fix. Granted with gastric you lose it faster, but that only leads to a higher chance of excess skin because the weight loss is not natural.

Take what I have said as an opinion because that is all it is really. But if plenty of other women can do it, so can you. Also remember you are beautiful now, and no one should ever tell you otherwise. I know sometimes I feel grossed out with my body and appearance. But I have come to realize that being negative is only going to make things worse. Be positive, work hard, keep inspired, and lose it the natural, healthy way.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Most definitely no. My father got it in the 90's when it was relatively new, and he still has problems to this day. They had to re-do it once, and he can't eat certain things without having to purge. My mother got hers a decade later, and a different doctor messed up hers too. She has now regained every pound she lost and has other complications as well.

Now, I have also seen people have amazing amounts of success with gastric bypass. I just know that I wouldn't even consider it unless I had exhausted every other possible option first.

A previous poster mentioned the excess skin - both of my parents had that too and then had the surgeries to fix that. For them it was covered partially by insurance due to the risks of infection and other things. My mother did pretty well with hers but my father had massive complications with the incisions and had a VERY long recovery time. Another thing that I am afraid I'd go through, as I'm my father's daughter in pretty much every way.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    No.

But I have to admit that I have a superficial reason: excess skin. I know that I will have some when I am done here, but I know at least 5 people who have had the surgery but cannot afford the skin removal surgery and they look beautiful until they lift up their shirts, or wear shorts. I can do just fine dieting, and I won't have the huge amount of skin leftover because the loss is slower and my habits are improved.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't judge anyone who does it...but I wouldn't, because you still have to eat right and exercise to lose the weight, even with the surgery...so I don't really see the point.
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Not a chance. I like to eat food and to limit myself to that limited a diet would make me unhappy. I know doing it this way i have the choice to eat anything and work my butt off after.xx
  • Felecia1923
    Felecia1923 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I say if you need it then do it. The calorie intake for losing weight is less than for once you actually have the weight gone. As long as you don't get out of control after, and nothing says they can't eat right if your friend has the surgery it is just help along the way.
  • jpani22
    jpani22 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My cousin had ... some sort of surgery done about a year ago. She could barely walk anymore, needed knee surgery... but her doctor wouldn't operate on her knees because she was too fat. He wanted her to exercise to lose weight so he could do the surgery, but she couldn't exercise enough to make any headway with her weight because her knees were so bad... and around and around. Other parts of her health were suffering and it was pretty much coming down to a life or death thing for her. It made sense that she had it done, to me.

That would be the only circumstance that I would have it done. I think that is a good example to a yes. I'd like to say "Never, no way!" but things do happen in life that could keep me from exercising like I want to that I have no control over. Now, as for types of surgeries, I'd only ever consider the bypass. The nurse's in the hospital I work at do not look at the sleeve and other procedures too kindly because of the side effects and other factors. Makes me wonder why we do them, honestly.

So the short answer is: No. I can lose the weight today without any help. I wouldn't undergo any elective procedure (bariatric or otherwise) unless there really was no other way and my life was at serious risk.