0.5 lbs/ week = 1200 cals. D'Oh!!!

Options
Itsdevo
Itsdevo Posts: 29 Member
Hey everyone. I'm "one of those people" who has 10-15 lbs to lose, and MANN, is it hard!!! It's nearly impossible to stick to the 1200 cals/day that it suggests. :explode: Ha... I get a kick out of those silly li'l emoticons!

My AMR (Active Metabolic Rate, the amount of cals to maintain my weight) is 1600. Any more than that and I GAIN. :mad: (assuming I didn't exercise which I'm trying to do 3x/week) ...

I'm reading that some people's AMRs are like 2000 cals or higher (e.g. tall folks, and some men) and I must admit, I'm slightly jealous! :sick:

The problem is, of course, that I *love* food! Especially chocolate and sweets! :tongue:
Wah! :sad: (I am chucklingly amused at myself for being whiney, which of course ya can't see in a posting).

Thanks for 'listening' to my rant! :smile:

If there are any women ages 38-45 on here in the same boat that I am (I'm a 41 y.o. female), and who also would love to have mutual support, it would be cool to link up! Feel free to send a friend request! -Samantha
OK, now to test my ticker.....

Replies

• sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You have answered your problem with the sweets thing, dont we all love the high sugar fat foods! why do you think so many
    people are on here and other sites.
    If you do want to lose last amount of weight , then eat clean and workout hard:flowerforyou: good luck and when you feel
    deprived think of all those people who have dieted a year to get to their goal, I did!
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Im one of those people too so know how you feel.

I have tried to eat only essential fats and cut out the rubbish so i can eat more healthier food with lower calorie content.
    Unfortunately chocolate and sweets are the worst thing to eat and my biggest sin too. i went cold turkey and after a few weeks didnt really think about them.

Im sure in time you will get there, were all here for a reason.
  • Itsdevo
    Options
    @sozisfitnow: Awesome, congratulations! Rock on!

10 years ago, I lost 20 lbs (which have of course returned but at least I kept it off for about 5 years) thru the help of another online diet tracker site, and it wasn't as challenging because my AMR was higher. Ah well, no suprise.
  • Itsdevo
    Options
    @markdavy: Hey, that's good to hear that the sweets craving subsides. I have been at this now for two weeks, and I think I'm noticing less of a feeling of "need". I liken it to detox from addiction. This has helped me realize how addicted I have been to sweets. Other than sweets, my diet has been pretty good (vegetarian, organic, no fast food).
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 cals/day when your AMR (I call it TDEE) Is 1600 cals/day is a 25% deficit. This IMO is too big a deficit for losing the last few lbs. Yes you're right the closer you are to your goal the harder it is to lose... there's also more risk of losing lean tissue, which slows your metabolism and makes losing the last few lbs even more difficult. My advice would be to have a smaller deficit, more like 10 or 15%. The weight loss will be slower, but it'll be more likely to be pure fat that you're losing and your metabolism will stay fast.

10% deficit ---> 1440 cals/day
    15% deficit ---> 1360 cals/day

Also, if you exercise more, you can eat more. A lot of people find a smaller deficit more sustainable in the long term, because of being able to eat more, including all the treat foods (though of course you still have to stay within the calories). Weight training can really help to keep the metabolism fast as well, that's something else I'd recommend.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

Go for the 15% deficit, eat back your exercise calories.

Drink 2 litres of water a day, make sure to eat plenty of protein and focus your work outs on resistance (so body weight and strength exercises) .

Expect to lose only 0.5lb a week.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

Go for the 15% deficit, eat back your exercise calories.

Drink 2 litres of water a day, make sure to eat plenty of protein and focus your work outs on resistance (so body weight and strength exercises) .

Expect to lose only 0.5lb a week.

Your tracker rocks.
  • Hoop4la
    Hoop4la Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am on a 37% deficit ... burn 2000 eat 1250 ... i am getting a steady loss
    I intend to get to my goal quickly and then carry on exercising which I now enjoy very much and stop the 'sacrifices' . Thing is I am not sure what those sacrifices were ! I don't need any more food, I am not a big eater -- I don't like sweets and chocolate and I am fine without crisps now (I agree with the person above , go cold turkey on them you wont miss them after a while )
    the only real sacrifice is alcohol - but I am all or nothing on that and I feel MUCH better without

Good luck with your weight loss ... give up the sweets ad chocolate .. maybe get some sugar free candies / mints for an emergency , it will be worth it !
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am 41 and hve lost about 21 pounds...it's taken awhile to do but it's gone now....just do some excercise....and then eat your calories back....it will come off....
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I am on a 37% deficit ... burn 2000 eat 1250 ... i am getting a steady loss
    I intend to get to my goal quickly and then carry on exercising which I now enjoy very much and stop the 'sacrifices' . Thing is I am not sure what those sacrifices were ! I don't need any more food, I am not a big eater -- I don't like sweets and chocolate and I am fine without crisps now (I agree with the person above , go cold turkey on them you wont miss them after a while )
    the only real sacrifice is alcohol - but I am all or nothing on that and I feel MUCH better without

Good luck with your weight loss ... give up the sweets ad chocolate .. maybe get some sugar free candies / mints for an emergency , it will be worth it !

Don't take this advice, please. Burning 2000 calories/day and eating 1250/day is NOT HEALTHY and a great way to totally screw up your metabolism.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 cals/day when your AMR (I call it TDEE) Is 1600 cals/day is a 25% deficit. This IMO is too big a deficit for losing the last few lbs. Yes you're right the closer you are to your goal the harder it is to lose... there's also more risk of losing lean tissue, which slows your metabolism and makes losing the last few lbs even more difficult. My advice would be to have a smaller deficit, more like 10 or 15%. The weight loss will be slower, but it'll be more likely to be pure fat that you're losing and your metabolism will stay fast.

10% deficit ---> 1440 cals/day
    15% deficit ---> 1360 cals/day

Also, if you exercise more, you can eat more. A lot of people find a smaller deficit more sustainable in the long term, because of being able to eat more, including all the treat foods (though of course you still have to stay within the calories). Weight training can really help to keep the metabolism fast as well, that's something else I'd recommend.

I would do this, it's very similar to how I lost my last few pounds (MFP estimated my burn at 1620, it turned out to be higher but I didn't know that at the time). I ate 1420 to lose. The only thing I would say though is to really tighten up on your accuracy. Don't estimate anything, not even coffee creamer. If you're off by even a little it can eat up your deficit. Good luck!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Your tracker rocks.

I know right! Haha just have to look at it every time I'm tempted!
  • jakkidoodles
    Options
    I'm a chocolate addict too and I would highly recommend the options hot chocolate. They vary from 38-60kcals per sachet and they are just awesome at nipping a craving in the bud. They don't ALWAYS work, but it helps :) xxx
  • Apples38
    Apples38 Posts: 54
    Options
    I hear ya!! The weightwatchers desert range are life savers!!! We can do this :-) feel free to add me all x
  • vodkalyn
    vodkalyn Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm a super Newbie here and new to dieting in general, but I have a suggestion. When I get a craving for something sweet (which for me, isn't very often), I just reach for one (key word being ONE) of the Dove dark chocolate hearts. If I eat it in several little bites, it's enough to dampen my craving. That way you're not denying yourself what you want but not overindulging either.