Want to lose a stone - best way to do this?

Options
I'm 18 years old, female, 5' 5" and 134lbs (approx.)
I want to lose 14lbs or a stone by June this year. I'm a bit confused about how many calories I'm supposed to be eating though, and what types of exercises I should do? I have no strength in my arms, struggle to even do "girly" pushups! :laugh: What can I do about this?? :embarassed:
Also, I know its genetics and stuff but I'm pear-shaped, and my legs noticeably have a lot more flab on them. :grumble: I plan to start running when I return home from uni, and I'm hoping this will slim them down. Am I right in thinking that? :smile:

Replies

• jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Firstly, it's great to see somone being sensible on here. That target by June is healthy and you'll be fine to reach that.

To work out how many calories you should eat, google "bmr" and "TDEE" calculators and work out each number for yourself. Try not to eat less than your BMR number each day, or over your TDEE. Some people say TDEE - 20% is the best number to eat around.

Then, try to find any sort of work out you enjoy, doesn't matter what is it, as long as you're moving. You could go dancing, fitness classes, jogging, even just walking, anything you have fun doing. Don't suddenly go from nothing to doing loads, it's rarely sustainable. Maybe try doing 3 things a week. You can always build up once it feels more part of your lifestyle. People will tell you to do x amount of cardio or to lift weights for the best benefits etc. This may all be true, but at the start I always think that any improvements are better than none, you can always work out what's even better later on.

If you're doing lots of excercise, you should eat back the calories you've burned in order to fuel your body. Sounds counter productive, but if you eat them back you'll get the health benefits without robbing your body of energy. You'll end up lean and healthy rather than skinny and weak.

Good luck!
  • Danny0950
    Danny0950 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Pack a bag and run as far away from Walsall as possible. :laugh: You will lose 14Ibs in no time.

On a serious note the post above is a good one.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    You can't slim down any specific part of your body, only reduce your general over all fat - by eating at a calorie deficit.

As you don't have that much to lose, set your MFP to lose only 0.5lb a week and make sure you log everything you eat accurately with scales and if you do any exercise MFP will allow you more calories - eat those back! This is very important for fuelling your body.

Try to eat real, nutritious food with plenty of protein - this will keep you fuller than if you just use your calories on junk food.

Good luck!