Should I be discouraged

Options
I started this on 12th feb at 174lbs. I got weighed last week at 169, and was pleased. I have been at the gym four times a week, cardio mainly and always eat my exercise calories back. I eat 20% under my tde following advice I got on here. Two weeks ago I started using weights, and I'm building up using the strong lifts routine. I eat a lot of protien.

I got weighed this morning, 173lbs. It's put me on a downer, but then I think, surley I haven't gained 3lbs of fat, or did I even lose any in the first place? the only thing I can think of is I've been slightly constipated, but that seems to have "gone" today.

Replies

• EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Could be muscle or some would say water weight
  • virginia65us
    virginia65us Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Try not to be discouraged. My guess is that you're retaining a little water and it's just a flucuation. It's unlikely you gained three or four pounds unless you have really been going over your calories. I find sometimes for a day or two after I work out really hard, my weight is up a pound or two. Drink a lot of water, be diligent on your logging and I bet you'll be back down within a couple of days..
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If it's TOM, that would explain a lot. Otherwise, have you been watching your sodium?
  • michaelalouise3915
    michaelalouise3915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    TOM? And I have been watching my sodium yes, but now you mention it, the last four shifts at work have been manic, and I've been going a good 8-10 hours with out having a drink. Maybe looking at a drink of water in morning, and two on an evening.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Umm if you are following the TDEE - 20% approach then you should not be eating your exercise calories back as well, as they should be accounted for in the TDEE.

If you are following MFP then you should be eating them back.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Water retention due to the weightlifting routine.
  • michaelalouise3915
    Options
    Sorry I should have been clearer, when I first started I wasn't following tde, I was following myfp, which put me at 1200 cals a day, and I then ate calories back, but then followed a suggestion on here of tdee, which I don't eat my calories back since it incoroporates them. Sorry.
  • michaelalouise3915
    Options

Is there a way to prevent this?
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    If you're eating below your TDEE, it's physiologically impossible for you to have gained fat...so no, don't be discouraged. It's most likely water weight from your new lifting routine. When you start lifting, your muscles hold water like sponges. You can't gain fat unless you're overeating...period.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    What about your macros? They'll determine what you lose and what youll look like. If you're looking to drop weight, 50/30/20 of protein, carbs, and fats IS optimum. You can go 40/40/20. As a personal note, I eat very little back of my exercise k/cals, usually less than 100 if that.
  • Rivmage
    Rivmage Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    A few things will help with water retention.

1.) Drink more water
    2.)Watch sodium levels
    3.) Remember that when starting a new exercise, you will most likely retention extra water for a little bit as your body adjust to the extra work and sweat.

Scott
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options

No. It's temporary, and it's good...it's your body's way of repairing and rebuilding muscle tissue...there's a lot of fancy science we could go in to, but all you need to know is it's normal, it's beneficial, and it's temporary. You shouldn't want to prevent it. Just keep lifting, keep eating right, and have a little faith. It will work if you work it....try to think long-term. :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Nope it is your bodies way of repairing the muscles it is normal and only temporary.... Best of Luck
  • shakeupyourdiet
    Options
    :smile: Motto drink to shrink and no it doesn't mean getting plastered just good old fashion water
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

No. It's temporary, and it's good...it's your body's way of repairing and rebuilding muscle tissue...there's a lot of fancy science we could go in to, but all you need to know is it's normal, it's beneficial, and it's temporary. You shouldn't want to prevent it. Just keep lifting, keep eating right, and have a little faith. It will work if you work it....try to think long-term. :)

^^ this :)

I just started lifting and I've decided not to weigh myself until I finish my five-week rotation, so as to not give myself a heart attack :laugh:
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    this may sound out there but did you weigh yourself at the same time each time?

i can weigh myself when i leave the gym fri nights at 730pm and then when i get back to the gym saturday morning at 8 am and there can be a 4lb differential
  • 21Pontoon
    21Pontoon Posts: 46
    Options
    Do you feel better? Do you think you look better? Are you now healthier? If the answer to any of these is yes then be a happy bunny. Don't play the numbers game too strictly if you feel better as a person because no-one will stop you in the street and ask you for your weight and your TDEE / macros / w.e x
  • michaelalouise3915
    Options
    I just wanted to bump this with some stats

Waist 31.5 now 29
    Hips 39 still 39
    Bust 39 now 37.5

So I'm doing something right

Thank you for the support. I'm vowing not to weigh for two weeks and focus on measurments :)
  • luminajd
    luminajd Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Awesome job on the loss in inches! I wanted to chime in that every time I start working out, I gain 1-3 pounds. As soon as I quit working out, I drop the weight. But I see working out changes my body shape (as it is yours) so I take the weight gain with a grain of salt.