Do I still have to strengnth train if...

Options
If I am just trying to lose some fat around my stomach and what not? I am not trying to tone up, other than some fat pouches I really like my body the way it is... So do I still have to strength train?
I am doing cardio every day.

Replies

• jacolyncoker
    jacolyncoker Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Oh, I spelled 'strength' wrong, haha. Embarrassing.
  • amyfritz
    amyfritz Posts: 33
    Options
    Its really your choice but I would recommend lifting some weights. If you lift weights, build some muscle your body will burn more calories at rest and you wont have to work so hard at the cardio.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I think it would be a good idea. I do cardio about 4-5 days a week and strenth training 1-2 times a week. I do zumba for cardio and body pump for strenth training and also zumba training which is kidna like both. Both work my core, so I lose fat with cardio and build muscle with the strenght training.

Good luck with your decision!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Do you want to retain bone and muscle mass, fend off osteoporosis and have a killer body? Then yes. And in my opinion, I don't care if you're here to lose half a pound, you should strength train. Look at Jennifer Garner's arms in that tv show she was in ... that definition is not from cardio.

[stepping down from soapbox]

Good luck either way :happy:
  • jacolyncoker
    Options
    But I don't really want definition, maybe on my abs a little.
    I kind of like the soft, delicate feminine look of my body...
  • jacolyncoker
    Options
    But I don't really want definition, maybe on my abs a little.
    I kind of like the soft, delicate feminine look of my body...
  • katie30
    katie30 Posts: 55
    Options
    Some strength training is good for everyone. You don't have to train to get ripped, but just some general toning is healthier for your bones. Especially toning your core. As it is described by many, your core muscles are a natural girdle. Toning and strengthening them will help get rid of those little fat poaches you are talking about. You'll also find that your posture improves dramatically.
  • jacolyncoker
    Options
    Oh, i see. I guess I will then haha
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    yup, you don't have to do it a lot but if you do core strength exercises if will help you to loose weight. its hard to loose weight by cardio only.
  • sotonguetied
    Options
    i would recommend trying some pilates! it's main goal is help shape long, lean muscles (this is especially great for core work) so you won't feel like you're losing your feminine figure or bulking up or anything. and, at the same time, your posture and flexibility will both improve :]