8 Glasses of water!!

Options
Can you count any other type of beverage in your water intake? For example Diet Ice Tea, flavored water, etc.

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I count anything that DOESN"T have caffeine, since caffeine is a diuretic and can actually lead to dehydration. So herb tea, yes; black tea, coffee, or diet soda--no.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I count anything that DOESN"T have caffeine, since caffeine is a diuretic and can actually lead to dehydration. So herb tea, yes; black tea, coffee, or diet soda--no.

Wrong. It has been shown that caffeine is NOT dehydrating. It's a common misconception. Read the links below

Caffeine: Is it dehydrating or not? - MayoClinic.com
    www.mayoclinic.com › ... › Nutrition and healthy eating › Expert AnswersCaffeinated drinks usually won't dehydrate you, but water is still your best option.

The Claim: Caffeine Causes Dehydration - New York Times
    www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/health/nutrition/04real.htmlMar 4, 2008 – Medical experts have been saying for years that caffeine acts as a potent diuretic. Is it true?
    Does caffeine cause dehydration? -

www.sfgate.com/.../Does-caffeine-cause-dehydration-4038186.phpNov 14, 2012 – For years, doctors cautioned patients, especially athletes, not to drink caffeine before a workout because, they said, it caused the body

Nutrition Myth Busted: Caffeine and Dehydration
    www.healthhabits.ca/.../nutrition-myth-busted-caffeine-and-...
    by Douglas Robb - in 1,831 Google+ circles - More by Douglas Robb
    Dec 9, 2009 – There is no valid scientific support for the myth that consumption of caffeine-containing beverages leads to dehydration...
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The whole 8 glasses a day thing is a myth. As long as you get enough fluids to make your urine a pale yellow you're getting plenty of fluids in. There is no advantage to chugging water as far as weight loss goes and you can actually drink too much and rob your body of essential minerals that it needs. Drink whatever you feel like drinking and enjoy your life instead of spending it in the bathroom.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    It actually gets more complicated than that. You also have to account for the water you lose due to urination. So if you pee out 3 cups, you have to consume another 3 cups to net that 8. If you don't, you'll enter the dreaded starvation mode.

~Sarcasm.
  • loischapman
    Options
    absolutely as long as you are getting non caffeine drinks and no sugar drinks that can be counted..xxxooo
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I drink way more than 8 glasses. This gets asked all the time on here and always turns into a ridiculously long thread.

Personally I do not count anything that isn't 100% Pure unadulterated Water but that's just my way of doing it.

I agree with the poster that says as long as your pee is pale yellow you are hydrated. I have a sports bottle that I fill up and keep with me all the time which is how I get to drink so much water and I don't drink coffee.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I drink way more than 8 glasses. This gets asked all the time on here and always turns into a ridiculously long thread.

Personally I do not count anything that isn't 100% Pure unadulterated Water but that's just my way of doing it.

I agree with the poster that says as long as your pee is pale yellow you are hydrated. I have a sports bottle that I fill up and keep with me all the time which is how I get to drink so much water and I don't drink coffee.
    Heh. Where do you get your pure water?
    Don't say from the tap, or bottled water, or even Brita filtered, because those aren't pure water. they're full of ions and minerals and gasp, chemicals...
    Are you distilling your water?
    Water samples were collected from 384 waterworks that supply 70.9% of the Norwegian population. The samples were collected after water treatment and were analysed for 30 constituents. Although most constituents show wide concentration ranges, Norwegian drinking water is generally soft. The median values obtained are: 0.88 mg Si l-1, 0.06 mg Al l-1, 47 micrograms Fe l-1, 0.69 mg Mg l-1, 2.9 mg Ca l-1, 3.8 mg Na l-1, 6 micrograms Mn l-1, 12 micrograms Cu l-1, 14 micrograms Zn l-1, 9 micrograms Ba l-1, 15 micrograms Sr l-1, 0.14 mg K l-1, 58 micrograms F- l-1, 6.4 mg Cl- l-1, 11 micrograms Br- l-1, 0.46 mg NO3- l-1, 5.3 mg SO4(2-) l-1, 2.4 mg TOC l-1, 6.8 (pH), 5) microseconds cm-1 (conductivity) and 11 mg Pt l-1 (colour). Titanium, Pb, Ni, Co, V, Mo, Cd, Be and Li were seldom or never quantified, due to insufficient sensitivity of the ICP (inductively coupled plasma) method. Norwegian quality criteria, which exist for 17 of the constituents examined, are generally fulfilled, indicating that the chemical quality of drinking water, by and large, is good in Norway. For Fe, Ca, Mn, Cu, pH, TOC and colour, however, the norms for good drinking water are exceeded in more than 9% of the samples, reflecting two of the major problems associated with Norwegian drinking water supplies: (i) many water sources contain high concentrations of humic substances; (ii) in large parts of the country, the waters are soft and acidic, and therefore corrosive towards pipes, plumbing and other installations. Most constituents show marked regional distribution patterns, which are discussed in the light of different mechanisms contributing to the chemical composition of drinking water, namely: chemical weathering of mineral matter; atmospheric supply of salt particles from the sea; anthropogenic pollution (including acid precipitation); corrosion of water pipes and plumbing; water treatment; decomposition of organic matter; and hydrological differences.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2038665
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    The whole 8 glasses a day thing is a myth. As long as you get enough fluids to make your urine a pale yellow you're getting plenty of fluids in. There is no advantage to chugging water as far as weight loss goes and you can actually drink too much and rob your body of essential minerals that it needs. Drink whatever you feel like drinking and enjoy your life instead of spending it in the bathroom.

^^ I agree with the above.
    I don't really drink that much plain water tbh (unless i'm exercising a lot).
    I drink mainly Fruit Teas or watered-down Orange juice.
    If i drink too many fluids,....i'll be in the Toilet the whole day! :/
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    it's SO much easier than all this. I don't count how many glasses I've drunk - I go by the color of my pee. :)

if it's light yellow to clear, you're good to go. If it's darker yellow, you need to drink more. pretty simple.
  • XRavenhood
    XRavenhood Posts: 102
    Options
    The only thing I drink besides water is tea, but I just log my water. And by doing so I noticed that, even when I feel like I'm downing enough water and feel like it's lots, it's only about 6 cups a day. I used to drink a lot less so I'm curious to know how dehydrated I used to be and what part that played on my headaches, energy and desire to eat... Count your cups of water!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Completely unhelpful answer but... you can count anything you want as water.

Personally I count water, tea, but not coffee (no I don't know why I do this) sparkling waters, waters with Mio, etc.

But, even though I do have a personal pure water intake goal, I'm really more concerned about the urine test because you can get a lot of your hydration through the food you eat.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options

Heh. Where do you get your pure water?
    Don't say from the tap, or bottled water, or even Brita filtered, because those aren't pure water. they're full of ions and minerals and gasp, chemicals...
    Are you distilling your water?
    Water samples were collected from 384 waterworks that supply 70.9% of the Norwegian population. The samples were collected after water treatment and were analysed for 30 constituents. Although most constituents show wide concentration ranges, Norwegian drinking water is generally soft. The median values obtained are: 0.88 mg Si l-1, 0.06 mg Al l-1, 47 micrograms Fe l-1, 0.69 mg Mg l-1, 2.9 mg Ca l-1, 3.8 mg Na l-1, 6 micrograms Mn l-1, 12 micrograms Cu l-1, 14 micrograms Zn l-1, 9 micrograms Ba l-1, 15 micrograms Sr l-1, 0.14 mg K l-1, 58 micrograms F- l-1, 6.4 mg Cl- l-1, 11 micrograms Br- l-1, 0.46 mg NO3- l-1, 5.3 mg SO4(2-) l-1, 2.4 mg TOC l-1, 6.8 (pH), 5) microseconds cm-1 (conductivity) and 11 mg Pt l-1 (colour). Titanium, Pb, Ni, Co, V, Mo, Cd, Be and Li were seldom or never quantified, due to insufficient sensitivity of the ICP (inductively coupled plasma) method. Norwegian quality criteria, which exist for 17 of the constituents examined, are generally fulfilled, indicating that the chemical quality of drinking water, by and large, is good in Norway. For Fe, Ca, Mn, Cu, pH, TOC and colour, however, the norms for good drinking water are exceeded in more than 9% of the samples, reflecting two of the major problems associated with Norwegian drinking water supplies: (i) many water sources contain high concentrations of humic substances; (ii) in large parts of the country, the waters are soft and acidic, and therefore corrosive towards pipes, plumbing and other installations. Most constituents show marked regional distribution patterns, which are discussed in the light of different mechanisms contributing to the chemical composition of drinking water, namely: chemical weathering of mineral matter; atmospheric supply of salt particles from the sea; anthropogenic pollution (including acid precipitation); corrosion of water pipes and plumbing; water treatment; decomposition of organic matter; and hydrological differences.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2038665

Not sure if you are being pedantic or not? I mean water with nothing added, no kool Aid, teas, coffees.

FYI, I actually have a Reverse Osmosis (RO) Water Filter System so I guess my tap water is pretty pure in that respect. :D
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    8 glasses a day is a myth. Not everyone needs that exact amount of water every day.

You also can't always go by the color of your pee. Many things can effect that as well.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Not sure if you are being pedantic or not? I mean water with nothing added, no kool Aid, teas, coffees.

FYI, I actually have a Reverse Osmosis (RO) Water Filter System so I guess my tap water is pretty pure in that respect. :D
    No, I was being facetious because there is no difference between tea or coffee in suspension in water than the other chemicals already in suspension in there. It hydrates you none the less. You aren't drinking pure water anyway.
    Go ahead and consider that coffee, tea, and kool-aid count just as much as "pure" water towards your hydration goal.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    COACH REDDY said the same thing my doctor said years & years ago.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I personally think you should drink pure water without anything in it and then count it towards your 8 glasses of water. But I think it is better to drink more than 8 glasses a day :tongue:
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I go by fluids consumed and not water. Coffee, tea, juices, Crystal Light... it's all fluid and it all counts in my books. Is plain water the better choice? Absolutely, and I try to make sure I get plenty. But a cup of tea is still water at its core.
  • pamelasue1949
    pamelasue1949 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My Dr. says NO! Water is pure and clean. Count your 8 glasses of water and then add whatever you want to above the 8 glasses suggested. Get you a container that has the 64 oz. Keep it with you, by your computer, in your car...but it stays in front of you until it is finished. Makes it much easier to start and finish those eight glasses of 8 oz ec of water.
    My suggestion. Drink 8oz upon rising in the morning, 8 oz before each meal and snack (3 meals and 3 snacks) and 8oz before you go to bed. DONE DEAL!!!!!

Just stating my Dr.s advice.
  • pamelasue1949
    pamelasue1949 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have silent reflux so I am on a acid free diet for the rest of my life. I try to drink water that is 7 PH or better. Try Evamoor or Fuji.

This is used when you are sick and just don't want water.

Homemade Electrolyte Solution

(Compliments of The complete Idiot's Guide to "The Acid Reflux Diet" by
    Maira A. Bella, MS, RD, CDN

1 liter of water
    8 tsp sugar
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1/2 cup mashed banana for flavor (optional)

This works for me.

Other wise when I run out of my Evamoor or Fuji water- I use my filtered reverse omosis Culligan system at my sink.

Happy drinking all of you!!!!