One year later (proof MFP works!)....

Options
Hello!

I don't usually post, but I thought that I would share my journey over this past year.

I joined MFP in Feb of 2009, although I did not actually start logging daily until June 1, 2009. My goal has been to lose 1 pound a week, to make the lifestyle change easier (and less likely to fall back into past habits) and to minimize the excess skin that comes after losing a large amount of weight.

After 1 year of daily logging and following MFP recommendations, I have lost 53 pounds... very close to the 52 pounds estimated by MFP. Although I am only about halfway through my journey, I thought that I would share my story and also some pictures.

Here is my "journal" that I have been updating every month on my profile:

6/2009: 230 pounds - size 24 - BMI 40.7
My darling husband buys Wii Fit, EA Sports Active and My Fitness Coach for the Wii in hopes to motivate me to lose weight... it works! I start seriously logging my meals on MFP and getting moderate exercise every day and lose about 5 pounds the first month (5% of excess weight lost)!

7/2009: 225 pounds - size 22/24 - BMI 39.9
Incorporating more exercise and better choices in diet! I even bought a new bike for some exercise. Lost 7 pounds this month (12% of excess weight lost)!

8/2009: 218 pounds - size 22 - BMI 38.6
Started month strong with 7 pounds lost in 2 weeks, but 3rd week saw a slight increase of 1.5 pounds. I decided to go back to what worked in the past- strictly logging on MFP (which had become lax) and daily exercise. 6 pounds lost this month (18% of excess weight lost)!

9/2009: 212 pounds - size 20/22 - BMI 37.6
I'm apparently getting back on track, as I've started to lose a bit more weight this month. It helps that my 3 eldest children are back in school all day; however, I also decided to go back to college, as well, which has been quite stressful! Lost 6 pounds this month (24% of excess weight lost)!

10/2009: 206 pounds - size 20 - BMI 36.5
I fell off the wagon... again. For the first 2 weeks of the month, I did not log my food, watch my calorie intake or exercise. Fortunately, I did not gain any weight, but I did not lose any weight either. About 10/20, I decided that I needed to get back on track. I started back on my diet and I hope to lose a little weight before November. On the good news front, I lost 10% of my June starting weight (23 pounds) during this month! I was also able to buy a new winter jacket at the Old Navy store. I no longer have to specialty order from their plus size section online!!!! Lost 2 pounds this month (26% of excess weight lost)!

11/2009: 204 pounds - size 18/20 - BMI 36.1
November is starting out great! The first week, I got down to 199.8. It's a great feeling to know that I have lost 30 lbs since June and am finally under 200 pounds. WooHoo! The gift of health - what a great Christmas present to myself and my family. Lost 5 pounds this month (31% of excess weight lost)!

12/2009: 199 pounds - size 18/20 - BMI 35.2
I think I hit a plateau, as I have been 199 pounds for 4 straight weeks. Having school finals, 3 kids birthday parties and Christmas all at once does not help a stress eater! No pounds lost this month (31% of excess weight lost)!

1/2010: 199 pounds - size 18/20 - BMI 35.2
After 2 weeks of lax calories counting over the holidays, the New Year has encouraged me to start logging the calories again and to buy a treadmill. Hopefully I can drop some more LBs while getting some schoolwork done during this next semester! Lost 7 pounds this month (38% of excess weight lost)!

2/2010: 192 pounds - size 18 - BMI 34.0
Ugh... I hate being stuck indoors and cannot wait for Spring! I like the treadmill, but look forward to going out and varying my routine. Lost 2 pounds this month (40% of excess weight lost)!

3/2010: 190 pounds - size 16/18 - BMI 33.7
In exciting news this month, I am now fitting comfortably into a size 16. The nice spring weather has inspired me to go out and walk almost every day this past week. SLOOOWLY getting there! Lost 5 pounds this month (45% of excess weight lost)!

4/2010: 185 pounds - size 16/18 - BMI 32.8
I started the "couch-to-5k" program this month. I really enjoy it! Unfortunately, I am also experiencing finals at college, causing some stress eating :-( . I am hoping to make it through the month without gaining and will then have four months before I have to open a textbook again!!!! Lost 3 pounds this month (48% of excess weight lost)!

5/2010: 182 pounds - size 16 - BMI 32.2
The spring semester is finally over! Now I can focus on the c25k training and exercise! I finally got to 180 pounds, which means that I have lost a whopping 50 pounds and am halfway to my goal!!! You have to love MFP... my goal was to lose a pound a week and in 50 weeks, I've lost 50 pounds! The process works! Lost 5 pounds this month (53% of excess weight lost)!

6/2010: 177 pounds - size 16 BMI 31.35
Now that I have reached the one year mark on my journey to health and happiness, I thought that I would reflect on the changes that have taken place. In one year, I have:

- lost 53 pounds
- went down 5 dress sizes
- lost 1.5" from my neck
- lost 3" from my waist
- lost 7.5" from my hips
- lost 3.5" from each bicep
- lost 3.75" from each thigh
- lost 3" from my chest :-(
- gained the ability to shop in regular stores (not just specialty plus size stores)
- gained confidence in myself and in the direction that my life is heading.

The reason that I am posting this is to prove that life happens and sometimes the scale goes down and sometimes it goes up... it is the journey that is most important! This change is for the long term and we it is OK to splurge on birthday cake or have a fancy night out with the spouse... we just cannot do it every day any more :-)

Here is a pic of my weight loss journey:

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab239/kilmers/Danielle.jpg

(for some reason, all 3 pics are not showing correctly when posting in here. If you copy and paste the link, you can see all 3!)

Thank you so much for reading my story...

Replies

• AllisonMS
    AllisonMS Posts: 104
    Options
    So appreciate your journey. Thank you for taking the time to review it and share it with us.
  • resptech97
    resptech97 Posts: 147
    Options
    WOW!! WTG!!! Very inspirational! Thanks!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I don't usually post, but I thought that I would share my journey over this past year.

I joined MFP in Feb of 2009, although I did not actually start logging daily until June 1, 2009. My goal has been to lose 1 pound a week, to make the lifestyle change easier (and less likely to fall back into past habits) and to minimize the excess skin that comes after losing a large amount of weight.

After 1 year of daily logging and following MFP recommendations, I have lost 53 pounds... very close to the 52 pounds estimated by MFP. Although I am only about halfway through my journey, I thought that I would share my story and also some pictures.

Here is my "journal" that I have been updating every month on my profile:

6/2009: 230 pounds - size 24 - BMI 40.7
    My darling husband buys Wii Fit, EA Sports Active and My Fitness Coach for the Wii in hopes to motivate me to lose weight... it works! I start seriously logging my meals on MFP and getting moderate exercise every day and lose about 5 pounds the first month (5% of excess weight lost)!

7/2009: 225 pounds - size 22/24 - BMI 39.9
    Incorporating more exercise and better choices in diet! I even bought a new bike for some exercise. Lost 7 pounds this month (12% of excess weight lost)!

8/2009: 218 pounds - size 22 - BMI 38.6
    Started month strong with 7 pounds lost in 2 weeks, but 3rd week saw a slight increase of 1.5 pounds. I decided to go back to what worked in the past- strictly logging on MFP (which had become lax) and daily exercise. 6 pounds lost this month (18% of excess weight lost)!

9/2009: 212 pounds - size 20/22 - BMI 37.6
    I'm apparently getting back on track, as I've started to lose a bit more weight this month. It helps that my 3 eldest children are back in school all day; however, I also decided to go back to college, as well, which has been quite stressful! Lost 6 pounds this month (24% of excess weight lost)!

10/2009: 206 pounds - size 20 - BMI 36.5
    I fell off the wagon... again. For the first 2 weeks of the month, I did not log my food, watch my calorie intake or exercise. Fortunately, I did not gain any weight, but I did not lose any weight either. About 10/20, I decided that I needed to get back on track. I started back on my diet and I hope to lose a little weight before November. On the good news front, I lost 10% of my June starting weight (23 pounds) during this month! I was also able to buy a new winter jacket at the Old Navy store. I no longer have to specialty order from their plus size section online!!!! Lost 2 pounds this month (26% of excess weight lost)!

11/2009: 204 pounds - size 18/20 - BMI 36.1
    November is starting out great! The first week, I got down to 199.8. It's a great feeling to know that I have lost 30 lbs since June and am finally under 200 pounds. WooHoo! The gift of health - what a great Christmas present to myself and my family. Lost 5 pounds this month (31% of excess weight lost)!

12/2009: 199 pounds - size 18/20 - BMI 35.2
    I think I hit a plateau, as I have been 199 pounds for 4 straight weeks. Having school finals, 3 kids birthday parties and Christmas all at once does not help a stress eater! No pounds lost this month (31% of excess weight lost)!

1/2010: 199 pounds - size 18/20 - BMI 35.2
    After 2 weeks of lax calories counting over the holidays, the New Year has encouraged me to start logging the calories again and to buy a treadmill. Hopefully I can drop some more LBs while getting some schoolwork done during this next semester! Lost 7 pounds this month (38% of excess weight lost)!

2/2010: 192 pounds - size 18 - BMI 34.0
    Ugh... I hate being stuck indoors and cannot wait for Spring! I like the treadmill, but look forward to going out and varying my routine. Lost 2 pounds this month (40% of excess weight lost)!

3/2010: 190 pounds - size 16/18 - BMI 33.7
    In exciting news this month, I am now fitting comfortably into a size 16. The nice spring weather has inspired me to go out and walk almost every day this past week. SLOOOWLY getting there! Lost 5 pounds this month (45% of excess weight lost)!

4/2010: 185 pounds - size 16/18 - BMI 32.8
    I started the "couch-to-5k" program this month. I really enjoy it! Unfortunately, I am also experiencing finals at college, causing some stress eating :-( . I am hoping to make it through the month without gaining and will then have four months before I have to open a textbook again!!!! Lost 3 pounds this month (48% of excess weight lost)!

5/2010: 182 pounds - size 16 - BMI 32.2
    The spring semester is finally over! Now I can focus on the c25k training and exercise! I finally got to 180 pounds, which means that I have lost a whopping 50 pounds and am halfway to my goal!!! You have to love MFP... my goal was to lose a pound a week and in 50 weeks, I've lost 50 pounds! The process works! Lost 5 pounds this month (53% of excess weight lost)!

6/2010: 177 pounds - size 16 BMI 31.35
    Now that I have reached the one year mark on my journey to health and happiness, I thought that I would reflect on the changes that have taken place. In one year, I have:

- lost 53 pounds
    - went down 5 dress sizes
    - lost 1.5" from my neck
    - lost 3" from my waist
    - lost 7.5" from my hips
    - lost 3.5" from each bicep
    - lost 3.75" from each thigh
    - lost 3" from my chest :-(
    - gained the ability to shop in regular stores (not just specialty plus size stores)
    - gained confidence in myself and in the direction that my life is heading.

The reason that I am posting this is to prove that life happens and sometimes the scale goes down and sometimes it goes up... it is the journey that is most important! This change is for the long term and we it is OK to splurge on birthday cake or have a fancy night out with the spouse... we just cannot do it every day any more :-)

Here is a pic of my weight loss journey:

Danielle.jpg

Thank you so much for reading my story...

I fixed your picture post for you-- the "img" part has to be lowercase-- lovely story-- great encouragement-- wonderful success-- congrats!
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Nice job! You are and inspiration to me, I am just starting this since March this year and hope to have results similar to yours by around the new year. Congrats on the accomplishment so far!
  • Reign
    Reign Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That is truly an inspirational story to keep going.
  • jyt2573
    jyt2573 Posts: 80
    Options
    Wow - that was SO inspiring!! It doesn't hurt that we started out at almost exactly the same weight (I was 253) and have both been on almost the same journey. I am on month 8 and am now at 189 lbs. Girl, if we had known, we could have gone over all these new things together. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story. I'll see ya at the mall! :wink:
  • snowflakes
    snowflakes Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    You are making a tremendous lifestyle change, and you have a beautiful family to enjoy life with:) Thank you for sharing!
  • enromero
    enromero Posts: 104
    Options
    WOW!! Thx for sharing ur story, very inspirational!!

Erin
    SW 3/1/10- 241
    CW 5/30/10- 209
  • pojo30
    pojo30 Posts: 62
    Options
    That is wonderful!!! Keep it up and thanks for sharing your great story!:happy:
  • coliver10
    coliver10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Danielle, thank you for sharing your journey!!! I just learned about MFP three days ago and have been really impressed with the site...It's SO much more easier than WW and a few others that I have tried. I hope I have a successful journey to share soon enough. Keep up the great work!!!
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Way to go Danielle....very inspirational!!
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    Thank you for sharing and congrats on your success!!
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your journey with us!!! What an inspiration you are to others!! :flowerforyou:
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    That's so wonderful! Congratulations! So great. Why does your last picture say 280 though?
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! We started at the same weight and have the same eventual goal and I am so hoping to be able to do this post next year!
  • nanmosta1
    nanmosta1 Posts: 55
    Options
    Thank you, I needed to hear that
  • jdejre_k
    jdejre_k Posts: 54
    Options
    That's so wonderful! Congratulations! So great. Why does your last picture say 280 though?

Ooops.. tired Mommy typo. It's supposed to be 180 :-)
  • Winter0916
    Winter0916 Posts: 80
    Options
    You made great points! sometimes you lose and sometimes you don't but you must keep going...look at your results!! congrats!!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this... I needed to hear it, especially the part about real life getting in the way. Congrats to you - you have come so far!! :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!