Conflicting info running vs fast walking at incline

Options
So I have been runnkng at least three times a week. I am currently working on 10k program week 12. I really enjoy running and pushing myself. Now someone at work tells me that to lose fat/weight I shouldn't be running but walking fast at an incline keeping my heart rate at around 135 for a good hour. I thought running was a great workout to burn calories. What burns fat better though? I know strength training needs to be in the equation to but in this instance running vs fast walking/incline which is better?

Replies

• Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Bump as I would like to know this too :smile:
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    The most effective is going to be the one you enjoy more as you'll keep doing it.

I can't wait to lose enough weight to be running again. I spend walking sessions desperate to break into a run, but I'd hurt myself at present.

And unless the person saying it is a qualified fitness professional, she's probably saying it to make herself feel better as she plods around at 2.6 kmph.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. The most effective is the one you will keep doing. There is no "magic" heart rate for the best fat burning (that myth has been pretty prevalent for decades!!) So, if you enjoy running, go ahead and keep doing it. But if you prefer walking, that's okay too. Walking is lower impact, so easier on the joints; on the other hand, studies have found that higher impact exercises, as well as weights/resistance, add to bone density, which is important for women especially.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Both are great and both will burn plenty. I started running by walking on inclines. It's a great cross training exercise but by all means RUN!!!

Do what makes you happy as long as what you're doing it to be a better you.
  • LittleBallofFurr
    LittleBallofFurr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    awesome article Callie! THank you for posting :)
  • ShelliePAwesome
    ShelliePAwesome Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Do both! By adding variety, you can try to avoid repetitive motion injuries. My running coach told our group that running and walking use different muscles.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i have always done incline since im not exactly a great runner. i agree. do both though if you can or do what you find fun.
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The whole idea of the "fat burning zone" is basically a myth- perpetuated by a lot of stuff in the fitness industry- in particular cardio machines with "Heart Rate Zones" showing the "Fat Burning Zone".

Go for total calories burned. While it is true that a greater PERCENTAGE of fat calories are burned at lower intensities, what comes in to play is the "cross-over point". Also, what I'm talking about here isn't my opinion, it is based on science.

Lets say that someone's maximum effort of 100% yields a 1 mile time of 10MPH, so a in a 100% effort they would cover 10 miles in an hour. Lets also assume that this person will burn 100 calories for every mile they cover.

So if they work at 70% and run 7MPH for 1 hour, they will burn 700 calories, and say 30% of those come from fat. So they will have burned 210 fat calories, 490 carb calories.

If that person follows the "work at a lower intensity" and does 1 hour at 30%, 3MPH, they will cover 3 miles and burn 300 calories, 70% of the calories will be from fat, so they'll burn 210 fat calories, and 90 carb calories.

So yes, you burn more "fat" at a lower intensity, but BFD. Focus on total calories burned. Do the training that is appropriate for your sport-goals-likes-ability,. etc... Mix it up.

Hope this helps.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options

Thanks Callie_little - great article
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I think running is a faster burn - and more importantly, the more you run the more you can run (if you know what I mean).

On the other hand, if you hate running, then its pretty much useless - definitely need to find something you like (or at least, don't hate!)

But if you are equally happy with either, I'm pretty sure that running will torch calories a lot faster than walking
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, do what works for you.

Incline running will burn more than flat surface. I sometimes work a program of sprints up steep snow hills and jogging back down. I burn around 1000 calories for an hour which isn't too bad considering I don't have much too lose for my size. Incline running is much easier on your knees than flat if that is an issue for you as well.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love running! For those people posting who feel too heavy to run yet---please consider water running, it is a great way to "run" without the negative impact on your body. You can run in place in deep water with a water vest [or even a water noodle in a pinch].

Also, a reminder---folks please don't run on sidewalks as they can damage your knees, ankles and hip. Running on asphalt [safely] or dirt paths are much better for joints.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    When you do HIIT, your body responds more like an anaerobic workout than if you just run or walk (pure aerobic). Anaerobic is better for fat burning. So, unless you really enjoy it, or are training for a distance run, it is unneccessary.

When I run, and I do every workout, I run for 20 minutes - 1 minute at a fast walk, 1 minutes as fast as I can go (currently 8.2mph). Alternate the minutes as many times as you can. This will be more effective for weight loss.

There is science to back this up - I read the New RUles for Lifting for Women which explains it really well...but I can not repeat it all and be sure I am right. It is a great book...