What am I doing wrong?

Options
I am trying to lose weight, so I'm watching what I eat and trying to exercise more. But it seems that my weight is doing the yoyo thing, here is what my weight looks like for the last week:

March 2 - 138.7
March 1 - 136.2
Feb 28 - 136.9
Feb 27 - 137.4
Feb 26 - 137.2
Fab 25 - 139.1
Feb 24 - 138.4
Feb 23 - 139.2
Feb 22 -138.2
Feb 21 - 140.2

So what am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Are you ovulating?

Or, did you eat a lot of sodium last night?

When's your period?

(I think today's number might be water)

Without more info we can't really offer more help. Your diary, how much you're eating/exercising....something.
  • sexymom04
    sexymom04 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy 3.5 years ago. I might have, I had a craving for some peanut butter and molasses, so might be. I hope you're right.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I would say it's totally normal - I weigh daily (out of habit) and my numbers can easily go up two pounds one day, down a little the next, back and forth. So many things can effect it - hormones, your workout, muscles retaining water for repair, body retaining water due to too much sodium/not enough water consumption, etc.

How long have you been trying to lose weight?
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You are putting too much stock in your daily weights and you are making yourself crazy with it. Some people, such as myself, can weigh themselves a lot and interpret that info successfully. Others go nuts and they should only weigh themselves once a week.

When you look at the weight loss between the first and the last that you posted it is two pounds in a little over a week, right? That's great.

Just calm down. :)
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I agree with the weight fluctuation when you're weighing daily. Just keep working hard, and if the daily changes bug you pick a day to weigh, and weigh in at the same time on that day of the week.
  • HighlyFavor
    HighlyFavor Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try to make sure you are eating around the same time everyday,3meals and 2 snacks,cut out sweets and portion control hope this help.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    Ummmm, you've lost 1 1/2 lbs in 10 days....you're not doing anything wrong apparently. Daily weight fluctuations mean NOTHING...it's only the overall trend that matters. If it upsets you, you shouldn't weigh daily. Drinking a glass of water will make you weigh more--does it matter?

No.
  • adorablechaos
    adorablechaos Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Quit weighing yourself everyday. You've lost almost 2# in 10 days. You're doing great!
  • kmreynolds11
    kmreynolds11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think your numbers look normal. I also weigh myself daily and notice that my weight can go up/down within a 1-2lb range at any given time... usually due to water, weighing at a different time of day, what I'm wearing, a day that I worked out more than usual, or a day where I had rather high sodium or went over my calorie goal. For this reason, I always do my check-in weight first thing in the morning, before I eat/drink, after I use the restroom, and totally naked.

No worries though... as long as the number TREND downward, you are fine and are making progress! I LIKE weighing myself everyday because I feel it makes me understand my body more and the natural ways my weight fluctuates each day... however, if it makes you disappointed to see a number go up a lb or two every once in awhile... I would suggest trying to only weigh in weekly. Then you will certainly see the bigger picture in terms of your progress.
  • sexymom04
    Options
    Thank yo so much everyone for the input and suggestions, it is greatly appreciated. I hadn't thought of weighing on a weekly basis. I do it in the morning, before I eat and yes it was making me a little crazy, but now that I know it's totally normal, I won't worry about it so much.

Again, thank you so much.
  • paradiseinn
    paradiseinn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are reprogramming your body. Once it gets use to the weight loss, I think it will stabilize. Your body gets use to a "resting" weight. If your weight was 140 lbs. for a while, it will take a while for your body to realize it maybe should be at, say 135 lbs. and then so on. Give it time.....you will stablize.....as long as you continue on your path you are heading in the right direction.
  • sexymom04
    Options
    thanks paradiseinn, that makes alot of sense.