What do yo do when no one around you likes to eat healthy

Options
OK i am having and issue that maybe someone can give me advice on. My issue is that when I go to work everyone is getting fast food and eating badly for lunch and im am tempted to join them and then I go home to my parents house and there are chips and food I cant eat if I want to keep the weight off. SoI was wondering if anyone had any tips or sugggestions to help me stay on track. It would be greatly appreciated.Thank You

Replies

• Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've found a lot of times that if you break away from that and say no I'll pass and eat your healthy stuff, that it starts a trend. Then people see you doing it and your progress and are tempted to join. :)
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.

At work... I always pack my lunch and then I usually don't want it to go to waste so i eat it instead of going out.

At home... My hubby doesn't like to eat as healthy as I do. So we each have our own snack cabinet. his has his junk in it and mine has mine healther snacks in it. That way I am not tempted by seeing any of his snacks. When he has chips... i have baked chips or pretzels...

At parents ect. just let them know you are trying to eat better and ask them to have some snacks you like around the house. Ask someone to hold you accountable so if they see you eating that junk they can say heyyy do you want to eat that? (make sure its someone who you trust to not take it overboard).
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    I have this same problem.

I plan my meals the night before, so it is much easier to pass.

Some people have started to bring their own food to work for lunch.

I live with my parents, and they are talking about eating healthier, although they haven't yet made any changes.

So I know people are following in my foot steps.
  • waymethb
    waymethb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My advice is just to keep going on your healthier life style! Like other posters you will be surprised when you actually start a trend...especially when they see how thin and healthy you are getting!

Another thing I do is take a different lunch and don't even go in the breakroom when I know there are "bad things" in there. This way I'm not tempted to just have one!
  • correen_b
    correen_b Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Stay strong and be proud of yourself for doing the right thing for yourself. Your family and co-workers' support will come around when they see how good you are doing.

I switched myself and family to an organic and minimally processed diet recently and my parents and other family members tease me all the time. I notice a huge difference in myself, feel great and know I am doing the right things for my kids so I ignore them or come back with a witty retort about one of the chemicals commonly found in the their faves. My mom and aunt suffer from a slew of health problems stemming from weight issues, so I want to be healthy and avoid those same pitfalls. I started reading about what they put in foods and found it easier to pass up my vices because my favorite junk was really actually very gross junk!

Good luck!
  • Callmefia
    Callmefia Posts: 42
    Options
    I think you should share your goals with some close friends at work and your parents. Maybe they can be more considerate and NOT ask if you want fast food for lunch, and maybe your parents would be happy to join you and think about cutting down on the snacks.

I told my live-in boyfriend that he can buy swiss cake rolls (oh my gosh, they are like amazing and irresistible), but that he had to hide them from me. Or keep them at work or in his car. He is really tall so sometimes he hides them on top of the high kitchen cabinets wayyyyy up there where I can't see them. Otherwise if I buy junk food I buy things that he likes but that I don't. He has mostly stuck to eating all the same stuff I do, just in larger portions though. He really should be eating healthier even if he does want to gain weight :)

My parents were always pretty supportive when I would try to go on a diet and lived with them. My mom would stop buying junk food because they knew they didn't need it either. If they did buy it, same thing - they would try to hide it from me (although they were never as good at is as my boyfriend!)
  • samsimon7
    samsimon7 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank for All the help guys!! I will definantely start to use all of this advice.
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    I take my lunch from home for work. It terms of at home, I had to have a chat with the hubby. In the past when I said I wanted to lose weight I would get off 10lbs then he would pick up Mcdonalds for dinner and it would start my horrible eating all over again.

Now I do all the grocery shopping and don't buy junk. I have told him that I would love for him to get healthy with me but if he is going to buy the junk he needs to keep it out of the house.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just say no!! I'm the only one in my office who brown bags it and pretty much everyday they all walk by my desk and tell me how great my lunch looks, but they still go out for fast food! :laugh: My hubby eats crap...he's gotten better since I've changed my eating habits but he still eats a lot of junk. So I'll make a side for him and a side for me for dinner and I keep snacks, deserts, lunches and stuff like that all separated in the kitchen so I always have my own food! Definitely let the people close to you know that you are trying to improve your health and that means not eating as much crap! Best of luck! :drinker:
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Bring your own snacks to your parents, somw raw veggies (cucumber, red bell pepper slices, carotts and broccoli) and some hummus. Whenever i know I am going to be in a situation like that I offer to bring something and then that is what I will eat. Keep up the good work!!
  • supersarah14
    supersarah14 Posts: 170
    Options
    I have the same problem! Don't worry, you are not alone. Someone on here (can't remember who..but thanks! :happy: ) told me that being healthy and eating great food is a choice. You have to choose for yourself whether or not you want to be healthy. There will always be people around you eating horribly, albeit delicious, food but you have to make a stand for yourself.

For example. If someone around me is eating a cheesesteak (my personal weakness) I think to myself "What will stealing/eating their cheesesteak get me? Will I be happier for it?? Maybe for a little while but not an hour later when I'm crying myself to sleep and regretting my decision. " It's always good to treat yourself, but it has to be a concious decision.

Keep up the good work! You're doing great! I know you can do this. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    What do yo do when no one around you likes to eat healthy:

Set a good example.

It is amazing how the ppl around me changed what they ate over the months to follow my new life.

My friend who always ordered extra bread and fried calamari............refuses the bread and orders soup or the caprese salad now!!

Love it!
  • Wants2bethin
    Options
    Hi Sam and everyone.
    I to am in the same boat. I am a nanny and I try hard to eat healthy . I get weird looks from my boss / the kids when I
    bring my own food in. Its very annoying ! Sometimes they comment on my food and its has gotten to the point where I
    dont't want to bring it in anymore. I have tried to explain why I bring my food in but I still get the looks and a comment here or there
    esp from one of the kids. "EWW thats gross" "thats yuck" "why are u eating that" "so on ect. This has been going on for a LONG while. Ive tried very hard to ignore it and I have tried to explaine to them why I bring my food in. The family eats ok but I can'talways enjoy what they have for food. Any ideas what I should do. Im sorry Sam Im not much help juts in the same boat like I said,
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to listen :)
  • DocNorton
    DocNorton Posts: 43
    Options
    I have the same issue where I work. My last job we had "fat friday" where we would do take out for lunch but now at my current job they do it every day - I'm talking burger and fries with mayo, pizza, kebabs, fish and chips (yes I'm in the UK :op).

Ironic as i work for the health service !

I always pack my food for the day the night before. Look at my diary; I have breakfast at 8:30am and then eat every 2 hrs to keep my metabolism going.

I'm not going to waste any of my packed lunch so when they all go out I just say "no" - simple... Yes it's hard work when they get back and the office smells like mcdonalds, and even worse when they are all skinny bean poles but hey, I'm not the one that will have a heart attack when I'm in my 40's due to blocked arteries !!!!

Sounds kinda harsh but it's true - some people don't carry fat "ON" their belly - they carry it all inbetween their organs and in their arteries, and that's even HARDER to get rid of !
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I just point and chant 'in your face, I'm way more healthy than you!'

hehe just kidding. I agree, it can be very frustrating and make things so much more difficult!
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue where I work. My last job we had "fat friday" where we would do take out for lunch but now at my current job they do it every day - I'm talking burger and fries with mayo, pizza, kebabs, fish and chips (yes I'm in the UK :op).

Ironic as i work for the health service !

hahaha we always get teased at work for having the most junk food laying around. As dietitians, we live for that once a day when we can have a small treat! hehehe everything in moderation :)
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem at work but I sure do have it at home! My BF has always done most of the cooking which is the main reason I gained weight! Last night, for example he was planning on making chicken tenders... FRIED and BREADED!!! He was very annoyed that I wanted mine grilled. This is only one example of the struggle I'm having with him. He lets me know everyday what a pain my new eating is becoming for him... .even though I'm more then happy to cook my own food!! The thing is I want to lose this weight and be the size I was when I first met him way more then I want to eat his chicken tenders.