Calling all people over 45

Options
I was hoping that there are some of you out there that have reached your goal weight and wouldn't mind sharing how much you've lost , how you went about doing it and how long it took you? I'm down to my last 12 lbs and it's taking forever and kind of getting discouraged. I thought maybe seeing and hearing some of your guys success would help keep me plugging along. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I am 52 and have lost about 35 lbs. in about six months. My story is in my profile. Right now I am focusing on fitness while maintaining my weight. Weight loss is a tedious process, stay with it, push yourself a little each day and you will reach your goal.
  • Firewalker5164
    Options
    Hi RhodRhod, I'm 47 and two years ago lost 90 lbs in 5 mo. Pretty much kept it off until slowly allowed 40 lbs to creep back on last year. I've lost 30 lbs since January again, and feel great. Keep it up, don't be discouraged, and make achievable goals. The las few lbs always takes the longest. I have 10 to go, so I'm with ya.

Good luck!
  • ba502
    ba502 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I started changing my lifestyle at 45. Now 4 years later I've lost a total of 45lbs. It's been a slow and steady process for me. In addition to the lbs lost, I have lost almost 10 inches off my waist which makes me very happy.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    It can take time so don't give up! I've lost about 35lbs in 6 months - mainly through exercise, I think; but its hard to tell as I've changed so many things at once (less beer, less meat, less sugar, more sleep, more exercise - so who knows whats helped!).

It seems that following the net calorie guidance generally works - just check your (and sugar) against a 1lb/week loss (best not to try to go too fast) and see how it goes.

Also remember that it can take a few months for the results to start showing. In my case, practically zero weight loss for nearly three months - then suddenly it just started! I'm 49, by the way
  • RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm so proud of all you guys! I started the first of Oct. of last year. Went for a check up and got on the scales and couldn't believe what they said! All time high of 183. The doctor realized how upset I was and put me on a 1200 calorie diet. I have made sure that all those calories have been good calories and started walking on the treadmill. Made it up to 45 minutes a day and so far have lost 33 lbs. But since Feb. nothing. I joined this site and have heard so many ideas that my head is just spinning. Up your calories, start lifting heavy, the list goes on and on. For about 3 wks. now I have started with the weight lifting but it has been light. Trying to work up slowly but have yet to up my calorie intake. Still not losing though hence the post. Not going to give up but some times I just wonder if all the soreness is worth it. Thank you guys for your supportive posts. Just needed to see if anybody was having as much trouble on the last leg of their journey like I am.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I started dieting and exercise a little over a mth ago. lost 11 so far, 24 to go. My key was to develop things I loved when I was a teenager. Dancing and Martial arts. Felt awesome. Not quite feel like a teenager yet. but definitely a lot better than before!
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged because it's not a race and the slower you take it off, the more you'll learn about what you should and should not be putting in your mouth and the better chance you'll keep it off.

I am 48 and joined in Jan of 11 at 155. It's been a rollercoaster of counting and then not counting calories. When I slacked and neglected counting, I'd gain 5-7 lbs in 2 months. I then realized I need to count from now on.

So, in the last 10 months, I've lost 10 lbs. Slow and steady wins the race. I am 5'8" and my goal is 140. I currently weigh 142.

I didn't really exercise. I knew I had to get my intake under control first and didn't want to tackle too much at once. After all, weight maintenance is 80% diet and only 20% exercise.

I average 1400 cals per day and have been losing 1 lb. per month.
  • kmchambers64
    kmchambers64 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting weights start measuring your body. I have only lost about 8 lbs, but since starting circuit training I have lost 11 inches over all. A pound is a pound, however muscle is denser, so that pound takes up less space. Keep at it. I just turned 49 on February 10th. I eat all of my exercise calories, so I am regularly eating 1400-1600 calories. I tried eating more and may go back to it if I am hungry. I have challenged myself to make a new change each month. For March I am giving up wine. I gave up Chips , dairy and bread in January and February. I miss the bread but nothing else. I don't beat myself up if there are little bumps in the road.
  • RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    On the days that I do the weight lifting I also do 30 minutes of cardio. I try to eat more on these days but I'm not hungry. I keep thinking that one of these days I'll need more calories because my body will tell me I'm hungry but so far it hasn't. Maybe I'm just not doing enough exercise? I don't know, it's all new to me. When I first got on here I swear it sounded like a foreign language to me. LOL But I read posts and then I google words and I think maybe slowly I'm learning. Oh and I bought a tape measure yesterday to start doing what you suggested.
  • guzzlingil
    Options
    45 here....

weigh in at 225 or so...

down from 248...

I cut out soft drinks, chips and eating after 7pm...

I work out 6x a week too...
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 last year ( GO ME)

I am in the best shape of my entire adult (since 18) life. Went from a size 16/17 junior jean to size 6/8 junior jean...and now in size s/m shirt -- Just had lab results come back that resulted in a doctor call back and a question of "what-the-hell-are-you-doing...we haven't seen these good of numbers in a long time on anybody. "

lost 40 lbs since July -- by changing a LOT of bad habits into a healthy lifestyle. I am 5'2 and right now weigh 127 lbs.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I will be 46 this May. I lost 60lbs in about 6 months. It helped having the Summer to help me lose my last 20lbs. I live in New England and I am finding the Winter months harder to maintain my weight, but I have maintained. The usual advice I give is:
    1, eat 5 times a day-with protein at every meal or snack
    2. Make sure you have some sort of weight training-the more muscle the higer your metabolism
    3. Don't have calories set too low-If you are hungry all the time you are doing something wrong
    4. Make sure your calories are good calores-You are what you eat. Everytime I eat too much sugar or
    carbs I find myself sluggish the next day and I feel hungover

Good Luck with your Journey
  • teresafromtarana
    teresafromtarana Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 49. My weightloss is a slower than others who have posted. I started watching what I ate and exercising around the second week of January. I was supposed to start Dec. 17/12 when I hit 198.6 pounds. I was determined not to hit 200. In 2 months time I've lost 10 pounds so 5 lbs/month average. I'm 5'8" and hope to hit 156 by my 50th birthday at the end of August. My key is to measure everything I eat, to eat fresh wholesome foods (homemade, whole grains, low fat, high fibre) and to walk everyday for 20 minutes (more when winter is over) and do interval training/treadmill on alternating days 6x/week.
  • jeanmoreno
    jeanmoreno Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Turned 49 few days ago,6 month of clean eating,calories counting, gym and intermittent fasting ! 40 lbs loss and feeling good!
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 - its taken me 11 months to lose 29 lbs (lost 10 before joining MFP) - and I've been on a "plateau" since last October. I work out hard 6 - 7 times a week - have done 2 rounds of p90x, 1 round of chalean extreme, and run, swim, row, bike, and am a dedicated yogi. Its hard for some women at this age. But after getting really frustrated several times and trying to do things to speed up progress that didn't seem to work (bumped up calories, ultra low carb, etc.), I've finally stopped feeling sorry for myself and resigned myself to go back to the basics, maximize my calorie deficit and just work out harder and be super careful with measuring and weighing food so I make sure I stay within my calorie range. It does seem to be working - scale flickering in downward direction for first time since October.

So be patient - you are making good progress - "Patience is bitter but the reward is sweet." I do recommend weight lifting though - and heavy - you need to go to fatigue if you are going to build muscle, and the more muscle you have, the more fat you burn.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I turned 60 last month.

I never weigh myself but knew I was getting heavier; when I saw 147 on the doc's scale that was a big turning point for me- I'd been 130 at HS graduation and had been as low as 120 as a young adult. So, over 2 years, I got into 5:2 fasting (didn't know someone had "invented" it, just developed the habit myself), cut back on refined sugars, ate more fruits and veggies, and learned to live witgh a little hunger instead of immediately hunting for something to eat. I also started exercising a little longer and harder; I'm up to an average of an hour a day and I wear a heart rate monitor to see how hard I'm working.

I'm now at 132. I still don't weigh myself very often because I get crazed about day-to-day fluctuations, but I can tell how I'm doing by how my clothes fit. I'm happy to say I've brought a few things out of the back of my closet because I can fit into them again!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Pete. I will be 46 in May.

I started my JOURNEY on Dec 11, 2011 at 250 pounds.
    Joined MFP on Jan 7, 2012.
    I lost 88 pounds by October 1, 2012.
    Been maintaining between 162-165 since October 1.

Here is how I did it.
    Only step onthe scale once a week. Same time, same day, every week. NO MORE than that, EVER.
    Exercise:
    Did nothing but cardio until I hit 190. Then slowly introduced weights. I am at the point where I do alternating days of weights and cardio. Nothing major in either department.

Eating:
    I refuse to give up ANY food.
    From the very beginning, I WEIGH or MEASURE just about every single food item that goes in my mouth. Still to this day.
    From the very beginning, I go out to dinner, real restaurants, not fast food, every Saturday night with my lovely bride. I simply order ANYTHING I want to eat. Apps, dinner and dessert. I promptly cut the portion in half, move it to another dish. Give it to the waiter to pack up TO GO. then I eat the half on my dish.
    My lovely bride and I also go out for pizza EVERY Friday night.
    For snacks, you name it, I eat it. Ice cream, chips, chocolate, etc, etc.....
    I eat ALL times of the day or night, in bed, in the bath, on the couch. I don't care where I eat or when I eat. 2am or 2 pm. I just stay within my calories. NEVER once counted a MACRO, MICRO, MINI, SUGAR, SALT, PROTIEN or anything but CALORIES.

Eat like a human and get off the couch and move your body. The weight WILL come off. Maybe not at the rate that you would like, but it WILL come off.

My food diary is open for ALL to see. No SECRET, MAGIC formula or pill. Just hard work and dedication.
    I went from a beer belly to SIX PACK ABS.

And please notice, I did not use the word DIET once. It is a LIFESTYLE change, not a diet.

Good luck to you. If I can do it, ANYONE can.

EDIT: I have not missed a day of logging my food or exercise for 370 days.
  • Tootce01
    Tootce01 Posts: 184
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I was hoping that there are some of you out there that have reached your goal weight and wouldn't mind sharing how much you've lost , how you went about doing it and how long it took you? I'm down to my last 12 lbs and it's taking forever and kind of getting discouraged. I thought maybe seeing and hearing some of your guys success would help keep me plugging along. Thanks in advance!

I'll be 46 in April. I lost 110 pounds in one year on MFP. No surgery, no special diet, no gimics. Just hard work and eating right. Those last 10 pounds are a killer. I'm wanting to lose 10 to 15 more and they are hard to budge. That's when I have to look at how far I've come.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!