Count calories and exercise? You must be brain dead...

Options
2»

Replies

• Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I had someone comment yesterday, "Gosh, you're getting skinny! What are you doing, starving yourself?". So I proceeded to explain that not only was I NOT starving myself, but I was eating breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, usually taking in close to 1800 calories a day and exercising for less than an hour. Oh, and avocado nearly every morning , and chocolate most days. Sometimes cookies. Not sure she believed me.:laugh:
  • ACrowsDay
    ACrowsDay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sorry...did it the wrong way??! Like I said (or you said)...we have the "magic secret".......:laugh: when they give us the eye roll I just think...Ha! Ha!
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    People tend to look disappointed. Like, it's not something more magical. Then when I add on the "I'm working my butt off," they usually will, say, "ohhh" like they feel sorry for me.
  • Paouline
    Paouline Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comment. I'm in a similar situation and even my family are unsupportive buying chocolate for me "just in case you need it" What's all that about, without support it could be so easy to fail.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Everyone wants the magical answer. Very little people want to put in the effort and they get upset when we tell them hard work and effort is all we are doing.
  • PixieNana2013
    PixieNana2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is the best way to loose weight. It would be interesting to know how many people are using this site - thousands, I should think, so it speaks for itself. You don't need to pay someone to tell you how to loose weight, the majority of us know that eating less and moving more is the answer. I should think that online sites who charge are getting worried about this free app. I, for one, think its great!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    But this site makes it easy. I tell people that it's just a tool that helps me learn to be accountable for what goes into my body. I'm learning to be accountable and learning to make wise choices, and being aware of how much exercise I'm actually doing.

Yeah, I first heard of MFP from a doctor in my church. He said his wife swore she wasn't eating that many calories and she was running a few miles every day and still couldn't lose weight. He told her to monitor what she ate and track the calories. She started to lose weight. I don't count calories (am pretty aware of what has a lot, what doesn't) but I find it enlightening to look up things I used to eat without thinking. An Einstein's bagel has 290 calories? I used to eat half of one when someone brought them in at work. Not any more. Not worth the calories to me.
  • Flintbeats810
    Flintbeats810 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    People tend to look disappointed. Like, it's not something more magical. Then when I add on the "I'm working my butt off," they usually will, say, "ohhh" like they feel sorry for me.

THIS!!! i made a blog post on this very subject in the blog section! its called" You have to be doing seomthing else" because 7 out of 10 people, instead of congradualting me on my weight loss IMMEDIATELY go to "what are you doing? yeah right....you have to be doing some pill or something cause 79 pounds in 6 months is too fast!" I wish i had a time machine so they could relive each and everyone of those days with me just so i can see that stupid "oh" look on there faces at the end