It's the little things...

Options
Gerkenstein
Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
Last night I was so pumped to come home and fix my meal only to find that my dog, who I love very much, had completely destroyed a Hefty bag of garbage across our entire apartment. Needless to say, my spirit was bruised and self-control wavering. My husband was going to be home soon so I called him to pick up food on his way. When he asked me what I wanted I immediately said, "Taco Bell." Then it hit me! My "no fast food" goal that I ruined last week because I forgot about it (which is why it is now this week)! I corrected myself and said "Subway." This is my "safe place" that I'm "allowing" myself to escape to if I happen to get stuck out and about or a last resort like last night.
Very happy I caught myself and I am now on a successful Day 2 of "no fast food."
Like I said, it's the little things.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Good job! I'm glad you thought twice because sometimes that's all we need is a second thought. :happy: I'm sorry to hear that about your dog. When I first started my lifestyle change, I had been bringing sandwiches to work when I was in retail ... I only got a 30 minute lunch and the only options at the food court were pizza, fatty sandwiches, chinese, or cinnamon buns. I forgot my lunch, turned around as soon as I realized (probably 2 miles down the road) and when I got home, my dog had torn it shreds and there were little ziploc bag parts everywhere. I was fuming. I had to eat pizza.
  • Chuck1223
    Chuck1223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Good for you:glasses:
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    Good for you!

Just make sure you drink plenty of water after a subway, quite a few will max out your daily Sodium in one hit :grumble:
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Options
    My son recommended that I watch Food Inc and King Corn. There were gobs of people who had holds on Food Inc at our neighboring libraries, so I had to wait a little to get it, but watching that video certainly makes it a WHOLE LOT easier for me to pass up the fast food. :wink: I plan to pick up King Corn later today.
  • Gerkenstein
    Options
    Arielle- I completely understand! I love my dog, but ever since last night she has been a terror. :mad: I left for about an hour after I ate to walk and when I came back she had shredded the subway bag too. Ridiculous. :grumble:

Simon- Yeah, I saw how high the sodium was after I put it into MFP. I'm gonna have to stick with the 6" from now on. :tongue: Thanks for the tip!
  • Gerkenstein
    Options
    My son recommended that I watch Food Inc and King Corn. There were gobs of people who had holds on Food Inc at our neighboring libraries, so I had to wait a little to get it, but watching that video certainly makes it a WHOLE LOT easier for me to pass up the fast food. :wink: I plan to pick up King Corn later today.

AMK- I've heard a lot about "Food, Inc." Would love to watch it. I'm sure it has a similar affect as "Super-Size Me" did. I've never heard of King Corn. What's that?
  • onyxlibra7
    onyxlibra7 Posts: 93
    Options
    Good for you babe!!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Yes, Subway is high on sodium... I was surprised when I first noticed that on here as well!

It is definitely about the little changes and little choices that add up! (That reminds me I need to put in a brownie bite I ate this morning while away from home... and I'm looking at that as a positive thing because the few calories/carbs in that gave me the ability to not be ravenous and to make my healthy lunch when I got home instead of something unhealthy!)
  • velvetechos
    velvetechos Posts: 234
    Options
    Good job - and seconded on the sodium thing. There's nothing I love more than a turkey and avocado sandwich....but I've been spaying a lot of attention to sodium lately. Unfortunately even the deli meat in the shops are just loaded with sodium - usually hovering around the 24% mark. That's not too bad as long as sodium is carefully watched the rest of the day, but still more than I like it one go. I'm just buying some fresh turkey breasts though and will be cooking it up and slicing it for the week I guess :)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Good job - and seconded on the sodium thing. There's nothing I love more than a turkey and avocado sandwich....but I've been spaying a lot of attention to sodium lately. Unfortunately even the deli meat in the shops are just loaded with sodium - usually hovering around the 24% mark. That's not too bad as long as sodium is carefully watched the rest of the day, but still more than I like it one go. I'm just buying some fresh turkey breasts though and will be cooking it up and slicing it for the week I guess :)

Getting off topic here but I realized recently that it is better for me *and* cheaper to buy chicken breasts or other meat I'd normally think of as part of a main dish and eat it for lunch instead of lunch meat. I stock up on chicken breast when it is on sale for $1.99/lb... lunch meat normally costs almost twice that *and* is worse for you! Rethinking lunches here... :)
  • rlinson
    rlinson Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I live off Subway now - I only get a salad though with all the veggies and only roasted chicken breast - no cheese, no dressing. 130 calories. 4 times a week at least.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Nice save!! :happy: Sorry about your dog, but you did the right thing in catching yourself from making a difficult night even worse.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!