If you lost your PHONE..............

Options

Replies

• mscroutons
    Options
    I would panhandle on the side of the street until I get enough money saved up to replace it. If it were stolen, I'd probably track the person down and shank them.

But seriously, my cell phone is super important to me. When my screen cracked and my cellphone was irreparable, I immediately got a replacement phone the next day. I hate to a material "thing" have so much power over me, but it is what it is. If I had to absolutely live without it, I probably could.
  • mscroutons
    Options
    Another question:

If you go out to eat with family/SO/friend, do you mute the phone, or do you constantly text, check it, play on it?

Me, I bring the phone, but it stays in my pocket the whole time till we're done eating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

When I'm with my husband, yes...because he does it too and it's not a big deal. When I'm with coworkers or other, no, because I find it rude.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I use my phone ALL the time. But I'm constantly forgetting it at home for long periods of time and missing calls/texts. So, I would be upset but it wouldn't be the be all/end all. I don't have a landline though, so no one could get in touch with me.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I found out two weeks ago when my Galaxy S3 went missing in Romania. It really was a total PITA, even small things like when I got back I needed to phone a taxi from the airport. Finding a public phone was not easy, the first didn't work with either credit card or money, the second wouldn't take credit card but did take cash, fortunately I had enough. I was lost without the smartphone aspect as everything was on it. I wiped it remotely and cancelled the SIM. It has't been switched on according to my security app since it ran out so I guess it was dropped and possibly run over by a car rather than stolen. I've replaced it and loaded my data again but it was not good being caught in a foreign country for 3 days without it.
  • lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    How much does it impact your daily life? Personally for me, it'd just be an inconvenience because I'd have to use a land line to make a call, but I could definitely make it easily without it.
    I don't own a "smart phone" and just have a regular flip phone to get messages, texts and calls from family and clients.

So how about you?

Considering that my BF is living in another state right now, it would affect me greatly. We text constantly throughout the day and talk at night, and if I didn't have my phone, I would be essentially cut off from him. He would be seriously worried that something happened to me, and I would panic cause I knew he was worried. Sooo... yeah, kind of a big deal.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    My cell is my business phone. We'd starve to death if I lost that.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I'd be ok.I have to be on the phone a large portion of my work day so don't really like to talk on the phone outside of work. It is how I listen to music when I run so that would hurt.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I back mine up regularly, so I would just go buy a new one. Not too devastating.

This for me too. I have an iPhone I back up regularly so would still have all my info. I'd be annoyed if I lost it but overall it would be no big deal. I'd just go buy a new one if I was due for an upgrade. If not, I'd just buy a used one on eBay.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My Smartphone has had a nasty spiderweb crack since last Fall. It's very hard for me to part with for 2 days where I'd have a loaner basic phone for the following:

1. My fitness pal recording and looking up food
    2. It's my internet connection at home & my BF's. (affecting 1 & 3)
    3. I use the internet to find jobs most of the time (sub teacher)
    4. Communicating with my BF

It's hard enough when my BF runs out of minutes on his phone and we can only text. It's really bad when his time runs out and he can't do anything with it.

When my bf and I go out to eat, we play on our phones while we wait for our food. I play while waiting for him to be ready to order, which keeps me from distracting him. We also talk. It's just what we do and it works for us. Sometimes I take homework instead of playing on my phone. When we're out with others, we keep our phones put away. We also use ours for MFP and looking nutrition info up on restaurant sites when eating out. We also try to limit that when out with others.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't be devastated at all, honestly. I just have a regular cell phone that calls and texts and I rarely use it. I like having it though in case of emergencies or problems on the road.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Another question:

If you go out to eat with family/SO/friend, do you mute the phone, or do you constantly text, check it, play on it?

Me, I bring the phone, but it stays in my pocket the whole time till we're done eating.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

When I'm with my husband, yes...because he does it too and it's not a big deal. When I'm with coworkers or other, no, because I find it rude.
    So conversation and just focusing on each other isn't the goal anymore? Not judging, just wondering if that's the behavior, then why not just order in?

IDEA Fitness member
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Is this one of those things where you're better than everyone else if you do as little of something as possible? Like never watching TV?

"I don't even own a cell phone. When I see others on their cell phones I avert my eyes and cover my ears with my hands so I don't even overhear their phone calls."
  • mains_adam25
    mains_adam25 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    one time i forgot it at home and i was sad i didnt have it even tho nobody text or calls me lol
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    How much does it impact your daily life? Personally for me, it'd just be an inconvenience because I'd have to use a land line to make a call, but I could definitely make it easily without it.
    I don't own a "smart phone" and just have a regular flip phone to get messages, texts and calls from family and clients.

So how about you?

IDEA Fitness member

Same as you. It's just a device/tool. Rugby 2 flip here. I'd hate to be a slave to any man made device.

As a matter of fact when I'm with a client, friend, or family member, the phone goes off. It really annoys me when someone is texting/emailing in the middle of any kind of meeting whether for business or pleasure. Nice post.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    I'd be screwed! Work would be freaking out as there is a lot of sensitive information on it from work.I wouldn't be able to do the scheduling while on the go ect.
    If it was the weekend well I guess I'm having a relaxing weekend alone haha
  • mscroutons
    Options
    Another question:

IDEA Fitness member

So conversation and just focusing on each other isn't the goal anymore? Not judging, just wondering if that's the behavior, then why not just order in?

IDEA Fitness member

Did I say that we don't focus on each other? Confused where you came to that conclusion. It's not unusual for us to look at our phone while eating at the table, do we do it the entire time, uhm no...we eat mostly.

Adding: We've happily been together for 15 years.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I'd go crazy. Then when I regain sanity, I would realize that I have a phone tracker app on my computer that shows the location of my phone at any given time. So,guess it would technically be hard to lose it, if you think about it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Another question:

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Did I say that we don't focus on each other? Confused where you came to that conclusion. It's not unusual for us to look at our phone while eating at the table, do we do it the entire time, uhm no...we eat mostly.

I'm sorry. I asked if one "constantly" is on the phone. I would assume if one was, then the focus isn't on each other.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mscroutons
    Options
    Another question:

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

I'm sorry. I asked if one "constantly" is on the phone. I would assume if one was, then the focus isn't on each other.

IDEA Fitness member

Oh, I understand now. I guess when reading your original post, I didn't read correctly. We definitely don't do that, just occasionally when waiting on our food. I would agree, if my husband constantly did that while we were out to eat, I'd stay home!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Another question:

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Oh, I understand now. I guess when reading your original post, I didn't read correctly. We definitely don't do that, just occasionally when waiting on our food. I would agree, if my husband constantly did that while we were out to eat, I'd stay home!
    No problem. I should have bolded "constantly" to have been clearer.

IDEA Fitness member