High Intense Low Impact cardio

So tierd of gaining weight because I cant eat and my workouts have gotten to where I dont even break a sweat! I cant do alot do to really bad knees. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Tweety1983
    Tweety1983 Posts: 100 Member
    Anybody!
  • MrsJBro
    MrsJBro Posts: 59 Member
    SWIM. Takes the weight off the joints and gives you a nice workout.
    If you're not feeling the desire to be in a swimsuit publicly yet, you can try cycling (spin classes are very intense and burn a lot of calories). I don't know what your knees can and cannot do, so it's tough to say. Some people with bad knees enjoy the elliptical, others do fine with weights as long as the don't lunge.
    If your knees are really bad go see a physiotherapist. They would help you take away that knee pain and get to a place where you can workout again.
  • I also have bad knees. But I have managed to lose weight by walking a slow pace in place and sometimes on the treadmill. Never able to go no more than 2 mph. But every little bit helps as I am finding out. Just started lifting 2lb weights as well to try and work on my arms.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    I've heard that boxing (as in with a video, wii, etc not with a partner) can be a GREAT cardio workout without putting any impact on the lower body.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    So tierd of gaining weight because I cant eat and my workouts have gotten to where I dont even break a sweat! I cant do alot do to really bad knees. Any suggestions?

Swimming if you can, 600 cals per hour is burned for swimming.
  • nwelzen
    nwelzen Posts: 6 Member
    I have a weak ankle, so I use Leslie Sansone's walk away the pounds videos. They are lower impact, as long as you can walk well, they work. No jumping involved. I would have to say they are not High Intensity, but they do raise your heartbeat enough to make you sweat if you put your all into it.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Swimming lengths, or even walking lengths in the pool are good. Also as someone else has mentioned, walking. If you walk with someone else, you can end up walking further than you think!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Increase your non exercise activity and lift weights.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    boxing :Dgrab some weights, get into a slight squat and punch it out :) or swimming
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    I also have bad knees, so walking, jogging , biking. boxing is not in the cards right now.
    I go to the local pool. This is low impact and even if you can not swim you can use the shallow end to do low impact walking, jogging or aerobics. Most pools even supply equipment including aqua weight and offer low impact aerobic classes.
    If you are worried about being seen in a swim suit maybe go when it is an adult (18 or over) only swim. Swimmers are there just to get exercise and could care less how you look, they just want to know if you are going to tie up the lane :wink:
    Do not give anyone power over you to keep from taking care of yourself!

You can also use weights and do upper body exercises in a sitting position to help strengthen your muscles.

Hope this helps and good luck in your adventure!
  • Tweety1983
    Thanks Yall! I wish I could swim I just dont have access to a pool unless I drove 45 miles one way and and paid $80 a month.... :) I do walk 4miles a day, and I do some light strenght training! I just keep gaining! :( I may try boxing or adding weights when I walk!!!! Thanks for the ideas yalll!!!!! :)
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    LifeJacketWaterJogger Posts: 231 Member
    THERE ARE SOME AWESOME CHAIR EXERCISE ON U TUBE, I DO HIP HOPS ABS FOR AN HOUR 6 DAYS AND I TRIED THOSE CHAIR EXERCISE AND WOW WAS I SWEATING.. SO THEY ARE TOUGH BUT EASY ON THE KNEES..
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Roller skate. I'm serious. Great exercise, awesome music. Great for core, butt, legs, easy on the knees (unless you fall on them!) in terms of impact, but builds up all the knee and ankle muscles, making knees stronger.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    If you have access to a pool, swim! I find that I get a better workout swimming than I do with anything else -- and, it's good resistance training, too, because you have to propel your body through the water. (I also jog, but I much prefer swimming -- it's just more of an effort to get to the pool...)

I do breaststroke exclusively when I swim, because it's an amazing arm workout, but I wouldn't recommend that as a start if you have bad knees. I usually have to pop my knees after a swim because of the breaststroke frog kick, but it's totally worth it.
  • Tweety1983
    Thanks! I just have to watch since I am worried about dislocating my knee again. I can skate thats for sure, have to twist to much! If they dislocate again I will have to replace them... Have already had reconstructive surgery so I do not want to replace yet!
  • karaks
    karaks Posts: 108 Member
    Have to second the boxing suggestion. It's a great cardio workout. Also, maybe look into a rebounder (mini trampoline). You can get them anywhere from cheap to really expensive. I have had two knee surgeries and am not allowed to do anything high impact. I use a rebounder and do Insanity. I do the same moves as they do in the videos, just standing on the rebounder instead of on the floor. The soft bounce takes the impact out, but I still get the benefit of doing the moves. Then I'll move down to the floor for things like push ups, etc. It has really saved my workouts...and my joints.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    ride a bike, take a spin class, swim.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    I use an elliptical. I also just bought Cathe Fredrich's entire Low Impact series. The reviews make it sound very intense.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,903 Member
    I've heard that boxing (as in with a video, wii, etc not with a partner) can be a GREAT cardio workout without putting any impact on the lower body.
    Or a bag with gloves. Yes it's true. I box pretty much every day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • R_Bedard
    R_Bedard Posts: 94 Member
    Spin Class! High Intensity, low impact. I burn about 400 calouries in 40minutes!