How do I get more protein?

Options
slieber
slieber Posts: 765 Member
Hello,
I'm celiac and also lactose-intolerant and allergic. I need to get in about 140-150 grams of protein a day but don't know how to get it all. At present, I'm lucky if I manage 80isn.

I also suffer from hypothyroidism - treated with a plethora of meds.

Any ideas? I can't just do protein supplements or bars due to the above food issues. I eat reasonably healthy and have lost about a pound and a half in the last two weeks. I also usually exercise rather heavily doing ballet class 6 times a week plus gym a few times for cardio.

Thanks to all ideas.

Replies

• boboff
    boboff Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    None of those conditions preclude Steak do they?
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    Fish chicken eggs tuna and whey
  • slieber
    Options
    No, it doesn't thank heavens. I started having chicken for breakfast, I have chicken from a can for lunch and yesterday added some meat to that. Dinner is difficult to find because of schedule. I can't eat fast food stuff, for example, because of the immense cross-contamination but getting that last dose of protein is incredibly hard when I get home from work and ballet at around 10pm.
  • slieber
    Options
    Fish chicken eggs tuna and whey

Can't have whey. I guess I'm looking at it from a scheduling point of view. I have only around 25 minutes for lunch and no breaks all day, then move on to gym and class. I get home very late.
  • mrbossman
    mrbossman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try Amino Acid Complex and Protein shakes I use "Superior Amino 2222". I drink alot of protein drinks. Most of the time I just mix the powder with water, sometime I make shakes with spinach and other good stuff.
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it helps but there is other protein supplements that dont contain lactose ranging for egg, pea and hemp. Not sure about the gluten though.

How about egg whites, all protein and hardly anything else?
    More meat in your diet?
    Fish?
  • fluffy925
    fluffy925 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds, quinoa!
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your restrictions are but turkey, cottage cheese and salmon are very high in protein. I also use a lot of different beans to replace rice and pasta.
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Here is some information about hemp protein, Not sure if this brand is available where your from but here is the link too

http://www.goodhempnutrition.com/content/68-what-is-hemp-protein

GOOD Hemp Protein summery summary:
    High source of Protein with 47% Protein

Contains all 20 Amino Acids

Contains all 10 Essential Amino Acids

Naturally Rich in Omega 3 (with SDA)

Over 30% of the Daily Recommended Intake of Omega 3 per Serving

Source of GLA (Omega Gamma Linoleic Acid)

Good Fibre Content

Free from Gluten, Dairy, Lactose & Soya, GMO, Hexane

Free from Pesticides and Herbicides, Additives and Preservatives

100% Plant Based Protein

Suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans
  • XRavenhood
    XRavenhood Posts: 102
    Options
    Nuts
    Fish - canned or frozen
    Eggs (eat them whole!)
    Quinoa
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Can you do soy?
    tofu
    tempeh
    TVP
  • jenniferchapman74
    jenniferchapman74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use Isagenix whey which has very little lactose...my lactose intolerant friends can use it with no problems. If that doesn't work go to sunwarrior.com They have a veggie protein powder that is great as far as veggie proteins go!
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I dunno what all is allowed by your conditions & meds . . . but dried edamame (soybeans) are full of protein and pretty good for snacking.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with protein but i now use Vega shakes which are GF.

http://myvega.com/products/vega-energizing-smoothie/features-benefits

Shakes can be expensive but I would say they probably cost the same as eating chicken breasts.

Are you able to eat beans and lentils? Both are a great source of protein and cheap too. :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I can't just do protein supplements or bars due to the above food issues.

sure you can. just get ones that don't have ingredients you're allergic or sensitive to.
  • Lalaj100
    Lalaj100 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid and try to stay away from gluten as well. Sun Warrior makes a pretty good Vegan protein powder. I believe its a rice protein. I mix mine with almond milk and sometimes add chia seeds and cocoa powder. I can shake mine up, doesn't require a blender.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    First of all, your protein target looks a little on the high side. Where are you getting that from?

Can you try supplementing with one of the 'natural' protein powders such as Optimum Nutrition's

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/natural-100-whey-gold-standard-p-202.html

The amount of lactase in the whey powder is usually so minimal it does not normally cause a problem for lactose intolerant people.
  • Nicki_101
    Nicki_101 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Lean ground turkey
  • slieber
    Options
    I exercise heavily and have had some issues. Right now I'm trying to get down to around 140-145 pounds (female). I'm allergic as well as intolerant to dairy, so I do have to be careful. The allergy's actually worse in some respects.

Thanks for all the links. I'm going to explore them and check what's available at the local stores (US). I'd love to get by with a supplement - it would be easier. If necessary, though, I'll try to get in more protein.

I've lost 2 pounds in the last week by eating more protein, going to bed earlier and not eating as much in the evening. But that's going to change in the next week or two when I get back to my regular training schedule.

It's been odd: I train in ballet 6 days a week, hit the gym 4-5 times a week for cardio, and couldn't lose. I take a break (due to slight injury) and lose major pounds.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Turkey, chicken, fish, steak. Canned salmon is my favorite go-to food when I don't have time for anything else.

I never have a problem hitting my protein goals when I eat these four foods.