Apparently I have been starving myself again...

Options
An interesting thing happened this week. I came back to MFP after starting a new job and moving (I gained about 6 lbs). I learned the last time around that I definitely had to eat all of my calories, including exercise, in order to lose weight consistently. This was because I wasn't eating enough to maintain a healthy metabolism, therefore my body went into starvation mode and I actually GAINED a couple of pounds. So, back to my original point. I had been trying to just "eat well" before coming back to MFP because I was making the excuse that it was too time consuming to log calories and exercise. As you may have guessed, the scale didn't budge. Now, I have logged onto MFP for five days in a row and eaten darn close to all of my calories. Guess what happened....I've lost two pounds in those five days! My metabolism is returning to normal and hopefully I will continue to lose weight and get back to where I once was. My point is for those of you who don't eat your exercise calories or are getting close to your goal weight and are getting frustrated because the scale isnt going down consistently anymore. Eat your calories!!! Right now I have my goals set to lose 1/2 lb a week. Anymore than that and my body goes into starvation mode. I have been up and down with the last ten lbs over the last two years and everytime I lose them my body works the same way. I know 1/2 lb a week doesn't seem like much but it truly is consistent.

I know this was a long post, I apologize but I just had to share....

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! That's awesome you figured it out and you are truly now the official poster girl for eating excercise cals!:wink::flowerforyou:

We'll have to bump your thread throughout the day everytime we get the question about "WHY WHY should I eat them"?:laugh: :tongue: :wink:

It really is terrific that you shared your own experience it makes it more real for others on the fence and for those not fully understanding yet the importance of it. For some 1/2 is enough, for some others of us eating them all is what keeps us healthiest and others in between. Our bodies vary so much we have to often find our own way on what works for it.

Oh and YAY on the weight drop:drinker:

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • fdobson
    fdobson Posts: 28
    Options
    Great post. I have been having a terrible time trying to reach my calories and wondered what would happen. I guess I am going to have to find a way if I want to keep losing the lbs. but I can only eat so many fruits and vegies. It is hard to find anything else that has calories, that isn't a carb and does not have much fat.
  • boniekatie
    boniekatie Posts: 147
    Options
    I enjoyed your story. I'm glad that you have figured out what works for your body. i'm sure that you will get to your goal weight.
  • boniekatie
    boniekatie Posts: 147
    Options
    Great post. I have been having a terrible time trying to reach my calories and wondered what would happen. I guess I am going to have to find a way if I want to keep losing the lbs. but I can only eat so many fruits and vegies. It is hard to find anything else that has calories, that isn't a carb and does not have much fat.

You need to add some MUFAs to your diet.
  • vnwyatt
    vnwyatt Posts: 3
    Options
    Do you eat every last one of your calories (including exercise)? I have 359 (including exercise) left for today and am ready to go to bed so I don't want to eat anymore. Plus, I can't have anymore fat, saturated fat, or sugar so that eliminates a lot, including fruit. I am new to the whole idea of eating all of your calories so any advice would be appreciated!
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    *Nods vigorously.

I absolutely agree and believe that the closer to goal the lower the deficit needs to be.
    My body freaks out and goes into plateau if I go above the 0.5lb deficit. I think I'm closer to a 0.4lb/week deficit now because I've started adding towards maintenance calories already :)

Good luck for those last few pounds!!
  • timandavan
    Options
    I don't work out till the evening, and I can't just eat another 1000 calories right before I get to bed.. How do I fix this?? I can't change my gym time.. It's really the best time for me.. But my scale has not budged in a several days and I'm not sure why.. Very frustrated.
  • repete11
    repete11 Posts: 53
    Options
    Timandavan - what I would do in your case is just plan accordingly. I work out in the evening too and don't like to eat after I have worked out. What I usually do is have a plan in place. I'll overeat my calories so that I have some left over to burn while working out. This way, I have a balance at the end of the day and all is well! Does that make sense?
  • repete11
    repete11 Posts: 53
    Options
    Has anyone tried Spirutein shakes? I like to mix the powder with skim milk a couple of times per day. They are great for you and provide a LOT of nutrients, next to no fat, and only 9 grams of carbs. Just a thought. I use this as one of my "make up for calories" foods!
  • fdobson
    Options

What is a MUFA?
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    I don't work out till the evening, and I can't just eat another 1000 calories right before I get to bed.. How do I fix this?? I can't change my gym time.. It's really the best time for me.. But my scale has not budged in a several days and I'm not sure why.. Very frustrated.

Plan ahead or simply eat them the next day. Your body doesn't freak out if you go a day with a larger than normal deficit. It adjusts if there is a chronic deficit it cannot handle. The best I can tell from the research is that eating right after exercise has the advantage of restoring your muscle energy reserves faster so you are ready for another hard work out quicker. So if you are in the Tour de France and need to be ready to ride hard again tomorrow, you should be eating at 30 minute intervals immediately after today's ride.
  • lydaugherty
    Options

What is a MUFA?

MonoUnsaturated Fatty Acid

Quoted from a website:
    "According to a study that appeared in Diabetes Care, a journal published by the American Diabetes Association, a diet rich in monounsaturated fats (MUFA) may help reduce abdominal fat better than a carbohydrate rich diet.

When test subjects ate a carbohydrate enriched diet, they tended to accumulate fat in the abdomen. When they ate a diet that had more MUFA, abdominal fat concentration decreased, even without exercise.

What are some foods that are MUFA rich?

* Olives and olive oil
    * Canola oil
    * Nuts and nut oils (peanut, walnut)
    * Seeds and seed oils (sesame, flaxseed)
    * Grape seed oil
    * Soybean oil
    * Avocados
    "

I had the two MUFA books, followed it for 3 months, and actually gained weight. Everybody is different.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Eggs! Chicken! Fish! Protein shake! :)
  • fdobson
    Options

What is a MUFA?

MonoUnsaturated Fatty Acid

Quoted from a website:
    "According to a study that appeared in Diabetes Care, a journal published by the American Diabetes Association, a diet rich in monounsaturated fats (MUFA) may help reduce abdominal fat better than a carbohydrate rich diet.

When test subjects ate a carbohydrate enriched diet, they tended to accumulate fat in the abdomen. When they ate a diet that had more MUFA, abdominal fat concentration decreased, even without exercise.

What are some foods that are MUFA rich?

* Olives and olive oil
    * Canola oil
    * Nuts and nut oils (peanut, walnut)
    * Seeds and seed oils (sesame, flaxseed)
    * Grape seed oil
    * Soybean oil
    * Avocados
    "

I had the two MUFA books, followed it for 3 months, and actually gained weight. Everybody is different.

Thank you! I will give it a try.
  • fdobson
    Options

Eggs! Chicken! Fish! Protein shake! :)

Protein Shake! I will give that a try. I love that idea. I could add some fruits, yougart and sprouted flax seed. Yum. I think a trip to the store is in order. Thank you.
  • trumpeteer03
    Options