Garlic Oven Roasted Potatoes (better than french fries!)

Options
adubyou
adubyou Posts: 24 Member
Of course, claiming something is better than french fries is subjective... but they are to me. I can safely say that they are definitely better FOR you than the fried alternative. Without further ado... here we go. It's simple, easy, and basic... but I thought I'd put it out there for those who may not have ever thought of it or known.

This makes two servings. Clocking in at around 320 calories, 8 grams of fat, and 60 grams of carbs. While there are certainly lower calorie options out there, I like this for when I'm just craving something and it's splendid for that.

Ingredients:
4 small/medium white potatoes
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 Tbsp basil
1/2 Tbsp oregano
Salt/Pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 350F.

2. Cut the potatoes into whatever sizeable chunks you like. I like mine pretty decently large so I halve the potato, then flip it on its side and halve it again. Then I chunk it up with three or four cuts across the halves. Nice, big chunks.

3. In a decent sized bowl/container toss in everything else and mix it all up really well. Just use your hands... it's better this way. Trust me. Salt and pepper appropriately to whatever you/your family likes.

4. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, spray it lightly with non-stick cooking spray, and put your potato chunks all over it in one layer. Don't have anything stacking up on the others now.

5. Pop that baking sheet with your potatoes in the oven (which should be preheated by now) for at least 45 minutes, but go up to 1 hour and 15 minutes depending how crispy you like 'em.

6. Enjoy, suckers. :)

Replies

• HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I literally just finished eating something similar with pizza. Mine were a healthier version of the British favourite 'chips' and I covered them in paprika, but I think I'm going to try your version next time for a bit of a change lol :)
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    replace the spuds with sweet potatoes and it's even better.
  • adubyou
    adubyou Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree, this would work well with sweet potatoes (yams) too. In my neck of the woods they're always so HUGE though... so I could probably make this whole recipe with just one sweet potato.

Meanwhile, the white potatoes are $3 for 10 pounds and I'm balling on a budget out here. ;)
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I make something similar, but I use Mrs. Dash's Southwestern Chipotle salt-free seasoning.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! I'm going to try this tonight.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    All looks good to me!...
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Bump!yum
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump to fix later, thanks!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like that you used the word "splendid".
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    These sound amazing!
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Bump....sounds yummy!
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    replace the spuds with sweet potatoes and it's even better.

+ 1
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious. I'm going to assume we throw the potatoes in the goo-bowl to coat? Rather than pour over the neatly lined potatoes, in case you're wondering what else it could have possibly meant, lol :)
  • BIRT1956
    BIRT1956 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Thank you.
  • conorpatmanCHANGED
    conorpatmanCHANGED Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy c: maybe i'll try it someday
  • ttiiggzz
    ttiiggzz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Garlic + potatoes = amazing!

Trying this tomorrow!
  • Sandy3313
    Sandy3313 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    this is a great recipe.....and they are so much better than fast food! try sweet potato's there great as well!
  • Tammy422
    Tammy422 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    bump