Gaining weight AFTER birth of my son?!

Options
Hi all! Decided to give this a go, my son is 5 months old now, I gained less than a stone DURING pregnancy, I am naturally petite, (short and slim) have been all my life, now after the birth I am 2 stone over weight and having trouble dropping it, is it true your metabolism slows down after pregnancy? Any other mummy's with this experience? And does it ever get back to normal or speed up? I did we'll and lost 6ib in 2 weeks, then cought an awful virus and lost my motivation and straight back up it went! :-(

Replies

• auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    If you are breast feeding for alot of people I can make them hold onto weight rather then losing it. (I know it did with me both times even following a healthy diet and exercising). If that's the case just hang in there, if not I'm not really sure once I stopped bf my weight loss went back normal...
  • lildewdrop27
    lildewdrop27 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No I'm bottle feeding, I wasn't allowed to breast feed as I have ulcerative colitis and take medication, I'm hoping I just need to focus and stick to it! And learn to adapt my lifestyle/diet to a slower metabolism!
  • lildewdrop27
    Options
    Can I please add you? I don't have any friends on here yet for some support and motivation! X
  • auzziecawth66
    Options
    Awe that's too bad. Hope you get it figured out and I'd be happy to be a friend :).

I guess just be really anal about measuring your food for like a week or two till you really get a hang of how much a serving is and what the calorie count is etc. I know I tend to eat more then I think I am sometimes and dont even really realise it lol. Especially with junk food :P
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    Your body has to adapt to the new situation after giving birth. I have 4 kids, nursed all of them. Everything was OK until I stopped nursing, then I went up in weight.
    Learn how your body reacts, we are all different. Try to keep a good overview over your food and take it easy, you were pregnant 5 months ago! It can take as long as the pregnancy lasted until your body is back to "normal".
  • lildewdrop27
    Options
    Indeed that's what I'm told! "9 months up 9 months down" my problem area is my tummy, I'm lucky enough to have no stretch marks but its still a little pudgy, but I've noticed as the weeks go by that it slowly started to slim down and gain some shape back, especially at the "love handle" sides! :-) my main problem is snacking I think, I'm a grazer. How long have you ladies been doing this for? Xx
  • auzziecawth66
    Options
    After my first it took about a year before I got down to the weight I wanted and probably another couple months even after that for the skin to really start tightening up again. After my second I was around 10 pounds of my goal weight by a year but got pregnant again so not really sure how my body was going to bounce back after that one lol. I'm just about 7 months now and have been using mfp to try and keep my weight somewhat within my target range so there's not so much to lose after baby 3 lol....
  • lildewdrop27
    Options
    You're pregnant at the moment? Congratulations! X
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing. Was losing weight after the birth, then my mother came to visit and help me out, leaving frozen cakes in the freezer. They were healthy because they had zucchini and beets in them, and with the baby on the 3 hour schedule, it was so easy to reach in to the freezer, pull out a cake, saw off a hunk and gnaw on that whenever I was hungry. Goodness knows, I had no time to fix myself something to eat. So I gained.

Good luck on losing it. With a new baby, it's not as if you can burn it off. Get yourself a runners buggy and take baby out for long walks.
  • lildewdrop27
    Options
    They sound nice! Was thinking of making so low fat breakfast muffins and freezing them, and also some homemade soups and freeze those too, my mother in law gave me a low fat cookbook so I'll make myself some healthy treats! I got into a false sense of security as I gained so little during, I thought it would stay the same, nope!! We'll all reach our goals! Xx