Where can I find will power???!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• RobinALarge
    Options
    Actually everyone has this wrong?
    Most folks have an overabundence of WILL Power ( I WILL just have one more piece of chocolate!) what is missing is WON'T Power..
    Thats the one you have to stock up on - but seriously it is about giving your goals, both long term and short term some value or 'weight'. and then being able to match the shorter term goals with the longer ones.

Its no god thinking I will lose 50 lb in a year and expecting to be able to match up not eating whatever is in front of you as the two arent siting close enough for comparison.
    However if losing 50lb in a year is broken into losing 1lb a week then it is easier to see that the extra chocolate / treat etc will likely ruin that weeks goal - just dont allow anything or anyone to ruin your own goals and aspirations!
  • cassiemk85
    cassiemk85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can really give you is that you have to find it within yourself. I have been struggling with weight for all of my twenties, and about 3 years ago my best friend managed to lose 120 lbs by using MFP. I knew everyone in our circle looked at me like 'She did it, when will you?" and so I began counting calories, working out, cutting out fatty, salty, foods (my weakness) etc. And while I would drop, 30 lbs here, etc., I always ended up giving up and going back to the way I was....I did this OVER AND OVER. Then all of a sudden, beginning of this February, I just realized I had had ENOUGH. I am so OVER being fat, lazy, in pain, tired, cant run around with my little girl, etc. And I just made a change, every week I change 1 thing about my lifestyle. Anyway, The whole point in me blabbing to you about my struggle is this: I had to come into this on my OWN. Its not that I didnt want it before, I always did, but I had to REALLY want it to make it STICK. Willpower comes to you when you are TRULY ready. You will know :) best of luck!!
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I think that if you have a plan then you have something to turn to when you are tempted to have something unhealthy for you. I basically eat 6 times a day. I have prepped all my veggies and they are in containers in the fridge so it's easy to make a salad or prepare my meals. I have some raw nuts to snack on when I'm hungry, or an apple. And, drink lots of H2O. Even then there are times I'm tempted to go off plan. Then I need a distraction. I will pick up the guitar, go for a walk, start to clean something, take a nap, etc. You are worth it! As you get more practice avoiding temptation it will become easier. Promise.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    If junk food isn't in my house, I won't leave the house to get some. I'm lazy like that. But, if there is anything yummy and I'm snacky... yea, I will probably eat it. I have learned to NOT BUY my favorite junk foods, and when friends bring crap (ie. brownies, chocolate cake, donuts) to my house I have learned that it doesn't hurt to THROW IT AWAY after they leave. I am in control of what I eat, not the other way around. I do however indulge occasionally, and that seems to help my cravings.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Weighingin - those were fantastic pieces. Thank you so much for sharing those! Very sage advice.

I'm always happy to share when I can! I'm glad they resonated with you and thanks!
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I actually was having this problem the past few weeks of counting but kept exercising regularly and logging my calories the best I could and then finally something clicked and the past week'ish I have been WANTING to eat better and have been staying around my correct cals! Do you have your settings at the correct amount to eat for your height/weight/age,etc?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Go to nerdfitness.com and search for the post on willpower.

Quick breakdown...willpower is a finite resource, as in we only have so much at any given time and once you use it up your choices start to go downhill. Better option...focus on habits.

Exactly, focus on habits and structure. Avoid situations in which you have to rely on raw willpower.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Start by saying restricting yourself to only 1 treat a day.... and then like 5 treats a week, then 4 then 3. And yeaaah, you get the point.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Less about will power and more about planning. Plan ahead and work in eating things you love that are also healthy, and you'll find things a lot easier.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    When I find that I'm 'losing' my will power, I sit down and write a list of my goals. I look over them and write a new list of what I need to do to achieve them. That usually does it.
    Sometimes all it takes is a good look at myself naked, in the full length mirror. Cured!
    I also play a mind trick on myself. I tell myself that each time I deny myself something that isn't healthy, or excessive, whatever, I become stronger. I remember that, if I am tempted again and it helps some.
    We just have to want it bad enough, whether it's being healthier, leaner or stronger (or all of the above), if we want it bad enough, we will do it!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You can find `willpower` in the wooden box marked `coffin`

Seriously, if you are overweight, then think about how you want to be in the future...what worked for me is imaganing myself in 5 or 10 years time how I would look and feel.
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    ive said it in so many posts but eat a stupid amount of vegetables, i eat at least 1kg on veggies a day and i have no problem sticking to a diet, also find a picture you hate of your self and use that as motivation
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    ive said it in so many posts but eat a stupid amount of vegetables, i eat at least 1kg on veggies a day and i have no problem sticking to a diet, also find a picture you hate of your self and use that as motivation

The cultivation of self-loathing can backfire. It's better to develop a mindset of acceptance while remaining open to improvement. This not an easy place to get to and it's not an intellectual process.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Everybody has willpower. It's what has just stopped me from hurling some complete arze head first down the stairs of the gym because he thought it would be funny to oink at me.

Because I'm strong enough to do it. And he wouldn't have expected a little piggy to be able to do it. And the security camera is out of action.

But I didn't. Because I don't want nasty baggage like that to dictate how I feel about my day. Or myself.

Binges, takeouts, junk and overeating give people like that more power. They have none over me, and that's the way I like it. Every day I go to the gym gives me more power. Every day I eat healthily and make appropriate food choices gives me more power.

Do you want to be helpless - or do you want to feel that same power?
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    When I'm losing willpower I look to my mfp friends for motivation too! I've made some great friends here and seeing them log their food and exercise drives me to do the same. I log in daily because I know they are looking to me as well! Giving up is not an option, I don't want those 18 lbs back!

Feel free to add me if you need an extra dose of willpower!
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Baby steps Julie...Being Japanese white rice is my worst enemy! We have it with EVERYTHING!

Some things that have helped me ...

1. Keeping the diary (it helps me to put things in perspective)
    2. Measuring cup (I started to measure the amount of rice I eat) I realize rice isn't your poison, reading the labels has helped me with the other stuff.
    3. Will Power (as many people have said already), if you cheat today, it's easy to cheat tomorrow. Drink water when you have the desire to eat sweets, or veggie/fruit snacks. You CAN overcome this!
  • JulieDive
    JulieDive Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Baby steps Julie...Being Japanese white rice is my worst enemy! We have it with EVERYTHING!

Some things that have helped me ...

1. Keeping the diary (it helps me to put things in perspective)
    2. Measuring cup (I started to measure the amount of rice I eat) I realize rice isn't your poison, reading the labels has helped me with the other stuff.
    3. Will Power (as many people have said already), if you cheat today, it's easy to cheat tomorrow. Drink water when you have the desire to eat sweets, or veggie/fruit snacks. You CAN overcome this!

Good advice! Thanks
  • NClala05
    NClala05 Posts: 16
    Options
    Great advice!
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I got mine right here. It's stayed with me every day.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/10/08/willpower/
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Go to nerdfitness.com and search for the post on willpower.

Quick breakdown...willpower is a finite resource, as in we only have so much at any given time and once you use it up your choices start to go downhill. Better option...focus on habits.

sorry - didnt see youd just quoted this