Is any protein shake good for weight loss?

poma91
poma91 Posts: 181 Member
Hi there!

I want to lose weight so I started considering taking protein shakes. However, I know next to nothing about the different types of protein shakes. I remember my brother was taking them when he wanted to bulk up, but then I read that it is good to take protein shakes if you want to lose weight. I am aware that they are good for the muscles, help recovery and so on. But are there any specific protein shakes that are good for weight loss or do all of them basically do the same job?
I exercise consistently, 6 day a week around 2 hours a day which includes cardio and strenght workouts.
Thank you for your answers!

Replies

• TheTrimTim
    TheTrimTim Posts: 220 Member
    I'd recommend that you make the shakes yourself - that way you control what goes in them. You can buy a good quality protein powder almost anywhere these days. Adding in some carrots, spinach and fruits is great with goats milk.

If you have to buy pre-bottled, check the sugar content. Higher sugar content is fine post-workout but best avoided at other times I think if you have an option.
  • poma91
    Thanks!

But what about the different types of protein like whey protein, casein protein, soy protein, etc?
  • andycet
    andycet Posts: 55 Member
    My wife and I have Nutrisport MRP 60Protein/30carbs with a banana, frozen fruit and soya milk every morning for breakfast or our meal 2 as we have early and long commute.

Then have a promax isolate after a workout, within half an hour.

I'm no expert but if you wanted to try them I'd get a protein isolate (maximuscle promax is what I use) and you can add your own stuff as suggested for carbs. Only reason I bought the MRP was it was cheaper for using daily and had more additives to keep you fuller for a meal replacement.
  • poma91
    Yes protein powders can get quite expensive, but I think I will give them a try :)
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    I thought protein shake was to help prevent lean muscle loss and not for weight loss. I am considering to add protein shake in my diet cause I can't get enough protein for my macros.

Bump to read later.
  • poma91
    I thought protein shake was to help prevent lean muscle loss and not for weight loss. I am considering to add protein shake in my diet cause I can't get enough protein for my macros.

Bump to read later.

Not only does it help prevent muscle loss but it helps muscle development since muscles need protein to grow. And more muscles mean increased metabolism and more fat burned, so yes it does help with weight loss too!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    They will only help with weight loss if you have them within your calories/macros. If you already get enough protein from food I wouldn't bother. If you can't get enough from your food then yes it's a great alternative. A lot of companies will let you buy sample packs as obviously it's not much fun eating them if you don't like the taste. Remember, you'll still need to get plenty of fibre or you'll have (bathroom) problems.
  • Ready2Serve
    Ready2Serve Posts: 113 Member
    I just suggest reading the label. Even some of the powders are high in sugar, and you don't want that as a meal replacement. If you are using it post workout the sugar could be fine. If you want to get in more depth look for cold processed powders allows for more bio-availablity of the protien than ones that are boiled, or the bars that are baked.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Thanks!

But what about the different types of protein like whey protein, casein protein, soy protein, etc?

just read about this, whey is the one recommended for women while soy is not
  • peggysbo
    peggysbo Posts: 46 Member
    EAS Advantage carb control has 0 sugar....
  • christianivanka
    christianivanka Posts: 52 Member
    BEST PROTEIN SHAKE EVER:
    8oz water+ice
    1/2 banana
    4 strawberries
    1 scoop 25g vanilla protein poder $19 big can
    3 tbls oikos fat free yogurt
    1tbs flaxseed
    its super goood!!

and before lunch or dinner
    8oz water
    frozen veggies:
    1/2 cucumber
    celery
    brocoli
    cactus
    parsley
    carrot
    spinach
    kale
    ginger
    1tbs flax seed
    1 lemon
    2 stevia
    trust me it tastes delicious and it will fill u up!!!!
  • poma91
    thank you all for the answers and the suggestions :)
  • yvnursechick
    yvnursechick Posts: 94 Member
    I like pure protein or Sam's club version Simply Rigjt. Or Acheive by nutra vita... They are about 100 -120 cal per drink and 18 - 23 grams of protein.... can't say much for the taste but they do boost my protein and help me loose weight.