training for 5k on treadmill

Options
Hi guys I have a hectic work week as i'm a chef, i manage the gym 4 days a week but only just. I have started training for a 5k for june but don't have time to go to the gym and run outside as my work days are long and i don't get home till midnight because of buses so I have decided to run in the gym instead to build up my stamina. I'm following the c25k which is working well, i'm on my 3rd week now but will probably have to repeat it! Now I know that running in the gym is a lot different to running outside i set the treadmill on an incline of 3. i've worked out that by the time I finish I should have just under 2 months to finish my training and will hopefully have time to run outside at this point as we should have more staff!
Am I doing this right, is there anything else I can do on the treadmill or in the gym to help me train properly so it won't be so difficult when I get outside?

cheers Harriet

Replies

• Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I've had to do some dreadmill training myself as the ice has put paid to a lot of outdoor running - I have the grace and coordination of bambi crossed with a hippo!

You could try varying the incline on the treadmill to account for variations in terrain. I often do hill intervals, where I'll do steps of 2-3 mins each at 1%, 1.5% and so on up to 5%, then back down again. Plus it can break up the monotony of running on the spot for what can often seem like an eternity.

And it never hurts to do a bit of strength training in between, in particular working on your glutes and core - so squats and planks!
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    Thank you! I'm already doing a bob strength training DVD, it's hard core!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the right track! But do run outside when you can--it is different. Pavement is harder than a treadmill and puts different stresses on your legs, and of course the road isn't setting the pace for you.

I think that, especially since you're a beginner, it's important to get a feel of the differences between road and treadmill before you actually race. Some people find it very easy to adjust and can continue to do most of their training inside, some find it very difficult and need to spend more time outside. Here's hoping your restaurant gets better staffed soon so you can find out which applies to you well before the race.

Best of luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started C25K outside two years ago, but got hit with back to back to back snow and ice storms before the first week was up, so I joined a gym. I didn't do any running outside until right before my first race, and even that was running laps in a park, so no elevation changes.

I'm one of the freaks of nature that finds running outside SOOOOO much easier. It's the lack of airflow, even with ceiling fans going, that kills me. At least outside, even on a still day, I'm creating my own breeze just by running, so a little bit of the sweat evaporates. :wink:
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    thats why i'm spending the last 2 months before the race running outside i just have no time right now as i'm a chef working over 50 hours a week
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Majope....I can do 10k`s on the treadmill without thinking...But i struggle doing 7k on the pavement..
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    When you can get outside, hopefully you'll notice a positive difference. I, personally, find running 7.5 MPH on the treadmill d@mned near impossible. Outside. . .it's a breeze.

One thing that most folks who start running neglect is STRETCHING!!! I know it's time consuming, but trust me, nursing a shin splint that could've been avoided is even more of a pain! Literally!!! And in your line of work, you don't want a leg that aches 24/7. . .look at aps for your phone that have running specific lower body stretches.

That's my best advice besides ditching the treadmill as soon as your schedule allows!
  • MomiTia
    MomiTia Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I completed day 1 of week 5 today n actually almost skipped week 3 :) courtesy my partner, having one on the same level as you or just a wee bit higher was perfect plus i would never have done my 25 min jog today perhaps if it wasnt her running on the treadmill beside n each of us thinking ...... Damn she is not gonna stop so neither will i so its awesome if you get a workout buddy, loving the c25k its completely doable n changes your stamina almost overnight
  • jdruiz89
    jdruiz89 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My small opinion on this question is too slowly work in both. Longer running on a trail will exhaust you quicker(from what I've read) as compared to a treadmill. A treadmill does assist somewhat so you don't have to push as hard to keep going. But a treadmill is a great place to start especially if you live in winter areas.
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    one thing that bothered me, as someone else said, was the transition to running outside
    I'm NOT a strong runner and i trained for the color run on a treadmill and then began to do more outside runs as it came closer and found them to be significantly difficult for me, to the point that i almost had to start my training over
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I started C25K outside two years ago, but got hit with back to back to back snow and ice storms before the first week was up, so I joined a gym. I didn't do any running outside until right before my first race, and even that was running laps in a park, so no elevation changes.

I'm one of the freaks of nature that finds running outside SOOOOO much easier. It's the lack of airflow, even with ceiling fans going, that kills me. At least outside, even on a still day, I'm creating my own breeze just by running, so a little bit of the sweat evaporates. :wink:
    I like both kinds of running but YES!!! The lack of airflow is a killer. I sometimes run at work on the treadmill there and set up a fan directly in front of me lol.