Emotional eater...

Options
Certainly not new to the world of weight loss, I kno so many tips and tricks, but I think that deep down, my problem is that I'm an emotional eater, regardless of emotion. Happy, sad, angry, bored. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for getting past it. I know it won't ever completely go away, but I need to find a way to control it.

I don't post a lot but I browse and you all are so supportive and wonderful, I'm happy to be here

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    recognize the emotion and find another way to deal with it. I'm angry, I want to eat but instead i'm going to workoff my anger. I'm sad i want to eat but instead I'm going to call a friend. I'm happy and I want to eat but instead I'm going to post online. Remember, if hunger is not the issue, food is not the answer.
  • beets_yum
    beets_yum Posts: 36
    Options
    I am an emotional eater too. (I think most of us are at some level--or else we wouldn't be here.) I think for some people being mindful is enough. But for others it all happens too quickly to be mindful. Yes we can practice slowing down and asking ourselves if we are Hungry Angry Lonely or Tired. But for me personally this would never work in the moment.

What did work for me was doing more work on the mental side of dieting. First, hypnotherapy. I used visualization/self-hypnosis exercises when I was pregnant and had two kids with no meds. It really helped me so I knew it could work. There are a few, if this appeals to you, on the Health Journeys website. The David Illig one is my favorite. Several studies have shown that this is an effective permanent weight loss tool.

SEcond, I signed up for the Emotional Eating program with Peer Trainer. This site can be really cheezy and gimmicky but their pieces that focus on psychological aspects of dieting are really helpful. (THis is the second time today I've recommended something from that site and I hope no one thinks I'm spamming. I have added them to my Junk senders list because they keep inundating me with stupidly overpriced cleanses. But I did get a lot of help from the site on other things.)
    http://www.peertrainer.com/emotional_eating_program.aspx

Eventually you can get to a place where you can watch those emotions that drive you to eat float by like clouds in your mind. But for some of us it does take a few extra steps. I grew up in an emotional eating house and I had to relearn a whole new relationship to food. After my daughter was born I really backslid but after doing this work one time around it's easier for me to find my footing.

You can do this. :)
  • jess6741
    jess6741 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If I'm about to go get a snack and it might be for emotional reasons or boredom I

1. Drink a glass of water, most of the time I'm not hungry just dehydrated

2. Think about whether or not it might be for emotional reasons and if so I make a cup of hot tea and write an entry in my journal

3. If i'm still hungry I will get something healthy. If I'm not willing to eat something healthy then I'm not really hungry

Keep working at it and you will stop the emotional eating.
  • sandysheltonpeacock
    Options
    I totally understand what you mean-I think this happens to me most of all in the evenings when I am getting down to my last few calories I have available for the day and then I stress about well if I am hungry later then I cant have anything- Well I know they probably aren't "best" ideas for everyone, but I have found snacks that you can have a reasonably decent amount of and still stay within limits :) *and the angels sang* Special K has sour cream and onion flavored cracker chips that are 110 calories for 27 chips, they are pretty darn yummy! I have also found ranch flavored veggie straws in which you can have 38 straws I believe and that is 130 calories. Then Quakes chocolate rice cakes are good if you need to feed a sweet craving. I have restricted myself to mostly water (I use Dasani water drops to add a little flavor every now and again so it doesn't seem monotones) and once in a blue moon still go and get that meal out if you want to just choose wisely when it comes to what you get :) You will get there, just like I will. Its a battle of the mind more than anything else honey. I wish you the very best of luck!

37745941.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Most often my emotional eating happens when I am bored. So I have learned to keep my hands busy ( I like to knit). If I feel "hungry", I drink a glass of water, and then wait a while. If the hunger comes back while my hands are busy and I'm hydrated, then yes, I really am hungry. So I find a snack and try to keep it healthy, or at the very least, within my calories.
  • happy_heart_jen
    happy_heart_jen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Something that has been helping me lately has been asking myself two questions. 1. will this make me feel better right now? 2. will this make me feel better tomorrow? Usually my answer is yes and no. Having to think about how I am going to feel after I emotionally eat (and feel the loss of control) helps me to then think about am I really hungry or am I searching? If i make a conscious decision to eat anyway (knowing it is an emotional response) I can only choose healthy foods.
    I also just try to remind myself that my feelings will pass! We are all a work in progress! :smile: