Advice on good fats and sugar

Options
Hi, just looking for some advice. I've been generally staying within my calories,, and am usually under on my fat, and over on my sugar,, I know I haven't been eating the healthiest, but thought I was doing ok..
However, when I looked at my diary in more detail, my saturated fat is sometimes over the limit, and I'm getting little or no good fats,, I'm not a big fan of nuts, fruit or meat,, any advice on better (low sugar) snacks, and getting some of these good fats,,
I think cutting out my sugar and sat fat will make a huge difference,, just dont know how to do it!

I've made my profile public,,, I know, I know, it's really unhealthy, especially my breakfasts,, I do like porridge but struggle time-wise to make it as I have my breakfast during my first 15 minute break in work.. also I need to have breakfast cereals for the iron,,,,

Replies

• se1133
    se1133 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's good to see you're eating regularly! Couple of things that may help: try replacing your saturated fat spreads ie butter with an olive oil based spread. Also I find that if I get my 5 a day portions of fruit and veg I'm less likely to snack on confectionary, which also lowers sat fat and sugar.

As a chocoholic I have found that one square of 70% chocolate satisfies me as much as a small bar of milk with fewer calories. Takes a bit of getting used to and it has to be eaten slowly.
  • edelq
    edelq Posts: 111
    Options
    I'll definately try that!! I love veggies, am just rubbish with fruit, I only really eat bananas, melons or grapes, and even then I'm not a fan!

Will try to plan a bit more,, I do enjoy things like carrots with hummus / tsaziki,, but I guess it's just finding time to do it all!
    I am a demon for snacking,, I probably eat every 2 hours or so,, I feel sick otherwise! Think it's a good thing, I just have to make sure I take healthy snacks with me, otherwise when I'm hungry, the vending machine is too tempting
  • lydaugherty
    Options
    Peanut butter is a fat, before it is a protein.

Try cooking your meat (or whatever) with coconut oil. Don't fear the saturated fat.
    It's good for ya, as long as you get organic, non bleached, non partially hyrdrogenated blah blah blah etc.

I get the brand Nutiva.
  • edelq
    edelq Posts: 111
    Options

Try cooking your meat (or whatever) with coconut oil. Don't fear the saturated fat.
    It's good for ya, as long as you get organic, non bleached, non partially hyrdrogenated blah blah blah etc.

I get the brand Nutiva.
    Thanks! I'll try that, I'll definitely try the peanut butter, haven't had it since I was little, but I think I would like it if it's the smooth one... I'm too fussy for my own good sometimes!
  • lydaugherty
    Options

I get the brand Nutiva.
    Thanks! I'll try that, I'll definitely try the peanut butter, haven't had it since I was little, but I think I would like it if it's the smooth one... I'm too fussy for my own good sometimes!

Me too, being picky that is.

A little note on coconut oil. A lot of people are so scared of saturated fats (and coconut oi, is A LOT of saturated fat),
    without knowing about them. Coconut oil is made of medium chain fatty acids (long chain saturated are BAD BAD BAD (like, canola oil which is a c22. low calories, yes, but bad for you. ) ). They're also metabolized differently, so they're burned for energy instead of being stored as fat. 50% of coconut oil consists of lauric acid, a medium-chain fatty acid that's anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungus, and anti-yeast.

It's hands down, the best high-heat cooking oil.
    At room temp or colder, it's a "solid" much like butter. It can be spread on your rolls or bread and eaten like butter.
    At 76 degrees I think it is, is when the coconut oil melts, and you can cook with it.