Run For Your Lives!!

Options
Run For Your Lives is a zombie obstacle course 5k that ever since I heard about it, I have wanted to try. None of them have ever been close enough and finally...my dreams have come true! One an hour and a half away. Jackpot!

I have done 5k's before but have yet to run one completely. I have started C25K (zombie edition, of course) to prepare myself for the running portion of the 5k but what other things should I be doing to prepare myself for an obstacle course?

This 5k is in June so I have time but I need to start conditioning now if I want to survive this zombie attack.

I've looked at some of the obstacles like climbing a wall with a rope and I'm kinda scared. :noway:

Help me!

Replies

• khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Haha, that sounds awesome!
    Have you checked out if there is any boot camps in your area? It sounds like the kind of thing a real boot camp would be good for in terms of building your fitness!
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Go Ali!!!

The visual i have is Seager in "officer and a gentleman" going over the wall with richard gere, am I the only one??
  • Nasheajones
    Nasheajones Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That sounds like fun! I always knew I could run faster if someone was chasing me!
    So are you the zombie or are they chasing you?
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    That sounds like fun! I always knew I could run faster if someone was chasing me!
    So are you the zombie or are they chasing you?

I'm starting out as a human. You can choose to start as a zombie and it's cheaper. You get flags like in flag football and if you lose all your flags you turn into a zombie.
  • allifantastical
    Options
    Bump
  • Sarahlou314
    Sarahlou314 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Where are you doing yours? I live in Louisville, KY and plan on doing ours here April 21st, I'm so excited!!!
  • allifantastical
    Options
    Where are you doing yours? I live in Louisville, KY and plan on doing ours here April 21st, I'm so excited!!!

Oh really? I didn't see that one. I could do that one! I only live like 2 hours away. The one in June is in Indiana.

And Bummmmmp! I need a plan!
  • Sarahlou314
    Sarahlou314 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Oh really? I didn't see that one. I could do that one! I only live like 2 hours away. The one in June is in Indiana.

And Bummmmmp! I need a plan!

Oh really! I could do that one too!! That would be too cool if you did the one here and we could meet and do it together! Are you already registered? I plan on registering next week when my hubs gets paid! I'm so pumped!
  • bodyafterbaby4
    bodyafterbaby4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I did it in March 2012 and our course was super hard (the entire thing was thick Georgia mud/clay right after heavy thunderstorms). I saw pics of other locations and they actually had some areas of GRASS LOL!

I loved it though and would do it again. I did mine with no training before hand at all. Same with my sister in law. DH and my brother got the #1 and #2 slots for their wave though as they are very active.
  • nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm doing run for your lives in June too! Here in Dallas though :) It's my first 5k and I am so excited but pretty nervous too. I currently do Zumba 3 days a week (great cardio if you find a high intensity instructor) and bootcamp once a week, which I love because it's cardio and strength training. Lots of the bootcamp is using your own body weight too so I would definitely look into that like someone else previous mentioned. I'm also doing weights with a trainer to help me gain some strength to get over those obstacles. Good luck!!!
  • Jdo13
    Jdo13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So I saw your post and got super excited for you! I did 2 mud-runs last year (not the zombie run but the Warrior Dash and Dirty Girl) and hope I can give you some advice.

- If it is at a ski resort: expect HILLS!!! Work on increasing your cardio!!
    - Upper body strength. Yes the walls are scary looking, but once you get out there, you 'll get a boost of adrenaline and want to try that wall. You might make it, you might not. But the nice thing was that there were so many people cheering you on! I made one wall and didn't make another, no big deal, you can go around it!!
    - Lower body strength!! You will need your legs just as much as your arms to get you pushing up those walls!!
    - Hike! Get used to different terrain of different types. For my cardio I would go hike at our local state parks!
    - Remember there are people of all different abilities. Some people will fly by you or be behind you, I just took my tiem to my ability!

Day of the race help:
    - Find a friend, motivation and laughter go a long way!
    - Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate before hand.
    - Wear your sneakers nice and tight!
    -Once you get started, don't stop! It's that much harder to get up.
    - Wear capri length spandex; helps the stones stay out of your knees and the mud roll off!
    - If you are lucky like I am and have down pours prior to your race, prepare for thick thick mud. This is super slippery, if you want to walk, then walk! Everyone goes at their own pace.
    - Make sure to bring extra clothes and old towels for your car after!! Be prepared to possibly throw out certain garments of clothes (some mud just won't come out)
    -Save an old pair of sneakers that you can donate at the end of the race.
    - Remember to laugh and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

These were probably the best 2 races I have EVER done. Good luck!!!