Numb Toes?

Options
Hello all!

Does anyone else get numbness in their toes while using an elliptical? I do 60 minutes on there and not 15 minutes in my toes are numb and the ball of my foot is all pins and needles. It sounds like a circulation issue but who knows. Should I be concerned? If this happens to you, how do you work around it / correct it?

Thanks! :)

Chele

Replies

• pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    get new shoes
    my feet do that when my shoes are old or just not right for my feet
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Happens to me occasionally. I had it happen while spinning if my form wasn't correct. I don't know why. I will be interested to hear what others say.
  • Seachele28
    Seachele28 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh, shoes! Any reason to buy new shoes is a good enough reason for me :)
    Thanks
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I get this on the elliptical and the stair stepper. Happens with any shoe I have ever tried! You could try to tie them differently, maybe they are too tight, sometimes it helps.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    THis happens to me on the elliptical too after about 30 minutes. The only thing that seems to help is if I concentrate on pushing with my heel instead of the front of my foot and it tends to ease off.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I can have brand spankin' new shoes and my toes will always fall asleep.

I try to make sure I use my WHOLE foot while pushing down and it makes it better. If I'm not paying close enough attention to my foot fall, the toes will fall asleep....LOL

So, in my case, it's not about shoes, it's about my feet.
  • MollieA912
    MollieA912 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    THis happens to me on the elliptical too after about 30 minutes. The only thing that seems to help is if I concentrate on pushing with my heel instead of the front of my foot and it tends to ease off.

Same here. I have to focus on pushing from the balls of my feet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    It's the constant pressure on the "pushing" of the pedals. Normal. Just lift your feet off every once in awhile to allow circulation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kabertrand63
    kabertrand63 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have same issue...I've googled it and most recommendations say to losen your ties on your sneakers. Helps a little but not completely.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Keeping newer, quality shoes can help. I still sometimes get numbness. It's all about the repetitive nature of the exercise and the same spots on your feet getting the pressure.
    Shift foot positions when you can.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Keep notes about how the pain presents itself, so that if it persists, you can let the doctor know that and how you attempted to self-treat it (if you do).

I can have a similar experience if my shoes are tied too tightly.
  • kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    same thing happened to me. I loosened my shoes quite a bit and it helped but not completely fixed. I recently switched to the arc trainer and have no issues anymore and to me it feels like a much more natural step.
  • Seachele28
    Seachele28 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow, wonderful! Thank you all so much for your in put :) I told my husband that getting off the elliptical feels like a long day in heels. I am going to try focusing on using my whole foot to see if it makes a difference for me.