Smoothies :)

Options
A little late, but I've joined the trend of making home made smoothies! I don't drink diary, so will be buying some almond milk...but in the mean time, I'm blending up water melon with rock melon (yumm so good for summer days!) and I've just frozen a bunch of banana and blocks of yoghurt to put into little packs so I can throw it in a blender of a morning and go! Cinnamon added too of course to give it some extra flavour, an maybe some type of nut crushed and blended in too :)

What are you fav recipes that don't necessarily include milk/yoghurt?

Replies

• currlee
    currlee Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Green Smoothie:
    handful of spinach
    1 apple
    1 orange
    1 carrot
    1 leaf kale
    handful blueberries
    few splashes orange juice or water
    few sprinkles cinnamon
    *tastes just liked cinnamon applesauce! So good! :) Once you add the blueberries, its not green at all. Also, I live in Alaska, so I'm able to pick tons of wild blueberries and cranberries. Sometimes I'll switch the blueberries for cranberries and its still super yum!
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I always use a BBC Good Food recipe for their breakfast smoothie. It's quick, easy and is perfect for energy pre-gym. The link to the recipe is... http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3117/breakfast-smoothie
  • XRavenhood
    XRavenhood Posts: 102
    Options
    I love making green smoothies with spinach because spinach doesn't have a strong flavor and is loaded with goodies. I usually make a smoothie with one banana, a bit of water, a handful or two of spinach, some lemon juice and zest and some ground flax seeds to help it go down a little slower and to add nutrients and fibre. You can add some frozen peaches or whatever fruit too.

Mango and lime is an awesome combination by the way, with or without yogurt. Some people put ground oats in their smoothie to thicken it up and add grain carbs to their meal. I'll add protein-rich stuff such as high-protein almond milk or whey if it's a post workout meal.

Seriously though, the world of smoothies is huuuge! Just play around, you'll eventually figure out what you like best and what responds best to your body.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    PUmpkin Pie Smoothie
    1/2 cup pumpkin
    cinnamon (or pie spice)
    almond milk(I use unsweetened)
    sweetener of choice(I have used splenda, truvia, clover honey, dark brown sugar

Chocolate Peanut Butter
    I use 1 tbsp. of Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter
    Herseys unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tbsp.
  • sillyjeepgirl
    Options
    I don't use milk, but I use Arctic Zero Ice cream which is practically dairy free aside from the whey protein. It helps add a sense of "Creamy" to my shakes. I've seen recipes online to make your own dairy free ice cream by mixing strawberries, and coconut milk with a few other ingredients. This could be a good way to incorporate fruit and add a sense of "creamy" without the dairy if you can't use dairy at all.

Typically one of my shakes looks like this:
    1c - 1.5c fruit
    3-4 ice cubes
    1 scoop protein powder (I use GNC's lean shake, because it tastes really good)
    1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar (You don't taste it when it's mixed in with everything & it has many benefits, but I would look into it more if you're interested because certain health conditions might require you discuss it with your doctor first)
    3/4 cup of Unsweetened Almond Milk or Coconut Milk
    1/4 -3/4 cup water
    1/4 c Arctic Zero

I vary the fruit and the flavor of Arctic Zero, but haven't made a bad mix yet.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    mine are pretty boring but still yummy

1 cup milk or juice
    1 cup mixed berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries)
    2 brocolli stems
    2 cauliflour stems
    4 baby carrots
    1 activia yoguart
    1 bananna

I use all frozen so its nice and thick. If its too thick I will add a bit of water.

*note without the bananna you can taste the brocolli a tad bit but not overwhelming, still yummy, If I have any fresh fruits ill thow them in to, if you add a kiwi it has a nice zing :P

opps just saw you dont use yogurt, but still good without it just not as creamy
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I vary mine but my absolute favourite is really pretty simple.....frozen raspberries and almond milk. If I have chocolate almond milk, I'll use that. If I don't have chocolate, I'll use vanilla almond milk and add some cocoa. It has that "I could possibly be a DQ Blizzard" taste about it, if you close your eyes.....and REALLY use your imagination. LOL
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I don't use milk, but I do occasionally use cottage cheese and I always put in whey isolate. Either way, here's a link to 6 spinach protein smoothies I've made recently: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/910985-strawberry-coconut-protein-smoothie-with-spinach

My Go-To smoothie, which I've only just recently veered from is:

70 grams baby spinach
    31 grams decadent chocolate flavoured whey isolate
    1 Tbsp/5 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 Tbsp/15 grams natural PB (or 2 Tbsp PB2 for less calories)
    140g frozen strawberries, unsweetened
    70g frozen blueberries
    8oz unsweetened almond milk

Blend until smooth and serve in a giant (I mean huge) GNC or other plastic smoothie cup. It yields about 24oz, I think....
    With natural PB it's 349 calories, 11g fat, 35g protein, and 10g fiber. Great for a post-workout re-fuel, or for a decadent breakfast :blushing:
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    This is the smoothie that I've been making quite a bit lately. And by "quite a bit," I mean once or twice a week. If I'm lucky. Smoothies take time, and I'm terribly lazy.

Peanut Butter and Banana Oatmeal Smoothie:

1/8 cup of oats (blend first into a very fine powder)
    1 banana, sliced and frozen
    2 tbsp. of peanut butter (I like Jiffy's Natural Creamy)
    3/8 cup of milk (I like to use skim, but any milk - almond, coconut, soy - would work here)

By my calculations, this is 367 calories. The recipe comes out so very thick and creamy, I feel like I'm having ice cream for breakfast. Once, I put a few sprinkles on it. Why? Well, why not? Also, it made me think of cake. I miss cake.
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My favorite smoothie to make has frozen strawberries, lime sherbet, and lemonade. It is SO delicious!
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    bump
  • christianivanka
    christianivanka Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    best green smootie ever: 8oz water, 1/2 frozen cucumber, spinach, brocoli, cactus, celery, carrot, kale, ginger,parsley,1tbsflaxseeds, 1/2 apple, 1lemon, and 2 bags of stevia (no juice, too much sugar)
    best protein smootie ever: 1/2 banana not 1whole (too much sugar) 4 strawberries,1 scoop of vanilla whey protein, 3tbls of oikos non fat yogurt, 1tbs flaxseed, 8oz of ice and water, soso yummmi make the green smootie before breakfast and lunch it feels u up and cuts ur cravings to zero good luck!!!
  • EmiBun
    EmiBun Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I use protein powders but lately I've been going with

Chocolate chai smoothe:
    * 1 1/2 cups almonds milk
    * 1 banana
    * 1/2 scoop protein(I use growing naturals chocolate)
    * 2 tbsp cocoa Pwdr
    * chai spice blend(1/4-1/2 tsp each of nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, and ginger(fresh/ground), black pepper
    1/2 ttsp vanilla extract
    *1 cup strawberries(or other sweet fruit)
    And lots of cinnamon!!

If ur adventurous add spinach:)
  • foss44
    foss44 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LesaLu4
    LesaLu4 Posts: 83
    Options
    bump