Cayenne pepper pills?

Options
Hello!

I'm newer to MFP and you all seem to have a great deal of knowledge, so I figure I could get some feed back!

I've recently made the commitment to losing the extra weight I have on my body, I have always been active (played sports, dance and had a vegetarian diet), never considered myself unhealthy...although I did enjoy a fancy coffee from time to time. Anyways, I'm 5' 4 currently 186lbs and I've had many friends recommend me Cayenne Pepper pills to help boost my metabolism and assist in the weight loss and I was just curious to see if anyone else has had experience with them? Is it worth a try? Some of the other benefits they provide will help with other issues I have, but I've also read some horror stories (bowel movement of fire, constant stomach pain)

I'm eating decently, working out 6-7 days a week and averaging 2lbs a week loss.

Just looking for some input! Thank you

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    There are no magic pills, sorry.
  • Xmoiyax
    Xmoiyax Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Fair enough.
  • happydispatcher
    happydispatcher Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have tried them and didn't notice any significant change as far as losing weight. The things I did notice were spicey burps(burping up the cayenne) and a burning when I had a bowel movement from the cayenne in my system.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    no magic pills. no quick fixes.

that cayenne pepper nonsense comes from that idiotic master cleanse where you basically eat nothing but lemon flavored water and take laxatives for 10 days.

your metabolism can be boosted by adding muscle though. so consider starting to lift heavy weights ASAP.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    bowel movement of fire, constant stomach pain
    :sick: :cry:

That'd be a deal-breaker right there, even if they did work! LOL

As the first response said, there are no magic pills. Eat well, exercise, take rest days, get good sleep, repeat. :smile:
  • nichelle02
    Options
    Cayenne pepper is used in the 'Master Cleanse' to help with metabolism. On the other hand I've found that being very aware of the actual calories I'm consuming, staying within my target range and ensuring that I'm active have made the difference for me so far. I'm no expert. But I'm sticking with what is working.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The only legal pill that really works is called "calorie deficit."

Best of all, it's free!
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of Cayenne pepper and have never suffered any of those dreadful side effects, makes me wonder how much is in it. I wouldn't be willing to try it myself.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    No, just no.
  • Xmoiyax
    Options
    Yeah I'll just skip it. I figured I'd see if anyone had had any experience with it. Thanks!
  • Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    There *are* magic pills, but their safety profile isn't so great. Not worth the risk.
  • Xmoiyax
    Options
    Wasn't asking if it was a magic pill..I was just curious if the metabolism boosting properties were accurate. I know only hard work and persistence with good diet is the key to really being in shape..my metabolism has never been the best so anything that helps besides my normal diet and exercise would be nice. I'll skip this though
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Wasn't asking if it was a magic pill..I was just curious if the metabolism boosting properties were accurate. I know only hard work and persistence with good diet is the key to really being in shape..my metabolism has never been the best so anything that helps besides my normal diet and exercise would be nice. I'll skip this though

Yeah, fair enough, but none of these supplements are going to make a significant impact on your metabolism. Caffeine actually has a measurable impact, and so do banned substances like ephedra and DNP. But those substances are banned for a reason - they're extremely dangerous.

They're dangerous because they work. The clear message is: taking drugs to alter your metabolism is, by its nature, extremely dangerous.

I think I'll post that as a thread.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    .. .... I fell into a burning ring of fire. . . .

Seriously, concentrated cayenne pepper could really irritate your intestinal tract. You know how it burns your mouth if you eat too much of it? It does the same to your intestinal lining. You just can't feel it, because you don't have a lot of nerve endings in there. Irritation can build, leading to inflammation. Pretty unpleasant.

As for the burning. . . . . In my 20's, I decided to try cayenne for weight loss. I was an idiot. I was soooo thin then. It didn't help my weight loss, but I did turn into a crying, trembling puddle of humanity on the bathroom floor every time I made a poo. I pooped fire. Straight up.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

There are, but they're more Grimm than Disney.

Whenever you cheat on your diet, they punish you by voiding your bowels in public. Ask your doctor for more info.
  • Xmoiyax
    Options

Yeah, fair enough, but none of these supplements are going to make a significant impact on your metabolism. Caffeine actually has a measurable impact, and so do banned substances like ephedra and DNP. But those substances are banned for a reason - they're extremely dangerous.

They're dangerous because they work. The clear message is: taking drugs to alter your metabolism is, by its nature, extremely dangerous.

I think I'll post that as a thread.

Thank you for the HELPFUL information :)
  • Xmoiyax
    Options
    I'm not about a breathing fire bumhole.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

There are, but they're more Grimm than Disney.

Whenever you cheat on your diet, they punish you by voiding your bowels in public. Ask your doctor for more info.

Ah, Alli. Using negative reinforcement to make you too scared to eat a pizza since 2002.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    There are better ways to become a dragon!!

Those who recommended the pills, have they lost weight from the pills alone? Probably not. If they did lose anything, it's most likely because they changed their eating habits too.

I couldn't imagine the fire-breathing (and pooping!)